Small Monitors for the Axe II

kuky

Hi ... My Axe 2 is arriving in a week or two ... so i got good stereo amp with dynaudio small speakers . I will test the Axe there, but i would love to have some small monitors dedicated for it ....my room is quite small so small monitors makes sense .... i dont need to play at loud volumes too . So basicly im asking which small monitors you guys reccomend me .... lets say which are best buy and maybe which ones are top .... i need quality stuff but not too big and too loud. Any thoughts on the ADAM A3x ? Tnx in advance...

i'm using a pair of KRK Rockit 5 gen 2 and i'm really happy with the tone.
i'm sure there are others better than these, but as long as they sound good no need for me to put more money.

A very popular model around here is the Adams A7X's or the A7's ( old generation ). Those were too large for me, so I settled on the A5X's and have been very happy !

I have Event TR5s and thre great - though they dont make them anymore and the 20/20s are bigger drivers.

My room is small - and I wouldnt even consider 3" drivers - way too small. A nice 5" set would suit well - possibly 6" or 4" either sid.

for top end quality Id look at the Genelec 8020s - 4" drivers and quality, or 8030s with the 5" driver. The Adam A5X's are also quality speakers (though my preference would be the genelecs). The Dynaudio BM5as are also good, and further down the price tree the Mackie HR 624s and (further down again) Yamaha MSP5s are also decent enough.

Kuky, curious here, have you settled on monitors? Pretty much on the same boat.

Paul have you actually tried the Genelec 8020's with the AXE. Very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers.

Kuky, curious here, have you settled on monitors? Pretty much on the same boat.

Paul have you actually tried the Genelec 8020's with the AXE. Very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheers.

Not yet .... im on my way to get in a good store where i can test few models ( adams,yamaha,krks ....) ...im currently using thru HD650 Sehnheisers ..which are amazing .... still i will need some speakers soon .... will post here when i tried them

On the same boat as you guys. Will get the Axe in a few weeks, will test some speakers, but looking for ideas. If you could give me some feedback on the monitor's you've tested, that would be of great help! :D

I use Genelecs at home and at the studio. If you want quality and accuracy, you just can't go wrong with Genes. As far as dedication to product quality goes, they are kind of the Fractal Audio Systems of monitors. Obviously nowadays there are a lot of great choices, but I don't really know if any are better. And the cheapest Genelecs aren't even that expensive anymore.

Hi, I've got the A3xs here . Sound great. Doesn't seem to miss miss much at the bottom end (goes down to 60hz).

I did a quick audition of all the studio monitors my local Guitar Center carries up to about the $300/speaker price point and left with the Tannoy Reveals. I felt all the KRK's were overly bass heavy or muddy and the Yamaha and Mackie's didn't sound *that* much better for the extra cost. As a final test I compared the Tannoy's to some Adam A7X's...and I really want the Adam's! I'm pretty happy with the Tannoy's though but will definitely outgrow them one day.

I did a quick audition of all the studio monitors my local Guitar Center carries up to about the $300/speaker price point and left with the Tannoy Reveals. I felt all the KRK's were overly bass heavy or muddy and the Yamaha and Mackie's didn't sound *that* much better for the extra cost. As a final test I compared the Tannoy's to some Adam A7X's...and I really want the Adam's! I'm pretty happy with the Tannoy's though but will definitely outgrow them one day.

Yamaha HS50M? MSP5?

Ok i been finnaly in the store to listen to some monitors : KRKs , adam A5x , Adam a3x , Yamaha HS50M. I got the yamahas ! The room i tested was about the same size as my room.

ADAM a3x : too weak for my taste , missing some low end ,great highs
ADAM a5x : Way better low end then the 3s , sublime beautiful butter highs
KRK 5 : too bassy ...i guess good for some electonic/dance music freaks :)
Yamaha HS50M : Great overall sound , excpecialy in the mids section, guitar sounded better then the Adams too me. Adams a5x would be my choice if i would do all the music on it. Yamahas were exactly half the price ...that in count it was a no branier to me . I might sound foolish but yamahas sounded better to me for guitar .... i guess its just me and my defective ears probably :) .....

Suggestion : ..... go try before you buy ....let the forums just be a direction what to look.

Hey mate, I'm looking for the same range of monitor fo my ax8, and thats the more near and useful opinion about all the model im considering to buy, except the krk 5 which I sold for the reason you mention above. This post is 4 years old. Are yo still with Yamaha HS50? Did you change to another? Thank you very much

Hi .... ive sold the yamahas after few months ... litaraly got bored of its sound. Lately i just play through my Senheiser HD250 headphones which are great.

Back
Top Bottom