Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and Conspirators

Jipps0525

Power User
Big fan of slash here and he is the reason I started playing guitar. Been following his recent new band with Myles Kennedy and have seen them live multiple times and love it every time! Loved their first three albums as well. Let me preface by saying I am not trying to make any comparisons to Slash’s GnR tones or anything else. I love Slash’s tone on the first three conspirator albums as well as his solo album, velvet revolver tone, etc… but something about this Fourth album with the conspirators his tone just seems weak and off. Has anyone listened or felt the same?

I personally LOVE the "4" album. I think it may be their best one yet. Just wish it would have gotten some airplay. I'm pretty sure that most/all of the GnR albums (minus Chinese Democracy) along with most/all of the SMKC albums are recorded to tape in one take which give them that "raw" almost live rock n roll sound and feel. Plus they're not overly produced. As for Slash's guitar tone... I feel that it's always been pretty thin (not a bad thing). I could be wrong but I bet their recorded tone is pretty close to their live tone. I also could have been wrong on everything mentioned above. Just wanted to chime in as I am a big Slash, GnR, SMKC fan.

Big fan of slash here and he is the reason I started playing guitar. Been following his recent new band with Myles Kennedy and have seen them live multiple times and love it every time! Loved their first three albums as well. Let me preface by saying I am not trying to make any comparisons to Slash’s GnR tones or anything else. I love Slash’s tone on the first three conspirator albums as well as his solo album, velvet revolver tone, etc… but something about this Fourth album with the conspirators his tone just seems weak and off. Has anyone listened or felt the same?
The mix is pretty odd. Its not great.

I personally LOVE the "4" album. I think it may be their best one yet. Just wish it would have gotten some airplay. I'm pretty sure that most/all of the GnR albums (minus Chinese Democracy) along with most/all of the SMKC albums are recorded to tape in one take which give them that "raw" almost live rock n roll sound and feel. Plus they're not overly produced. As for Slash's guitar tone... I feel that it's always been pretty thin (not a bad thing). I could be wrong but I bet their recorded tone is pretty close to their live tone. I also could have been wrong on everything mentioned above. Just wanted to chime in as I am a big Slash, GnR, SMKC fan.

Slash’s tone on the fourth SMKC album is nothing like the first 3, not even close. As for how good the album is, subjective of course. I don’t think it’s bad, I was just specifically trying to discuss Slash’s tone.

I agree. I think it’s cool they record it all in one take, live or whatever but what do you think about his tone?
Nasally and thin. I think the real failure is in the drum mix. It feels like the engineer/producer was like "bro were gonna make it sound vintage and analog" and some of the songs lack punch at all. The overall mix is super mid focused though. Admittedly i was only really a fan of the first record when he had all the diff singers, i vastly prefer myles in AB even though its great to hear him doing something outside of that range.

Nasally and thin. I think the real failure is in the drum mix. It feels like the engineer/producer was like "bro were gonna make it sound vintage and analog" and some of the songs lack punch at all. The overall mix is super mid focused though. Admittedly i was only really a fan of the first record when he had all the diff singers, i vastly prefer myles in AB even though its great to hear him doing something outside of that range.
Agree about the nasally and thin. However I really enjoyed the prior three albums including the one you mentioned where slash has all the different singers. Although my favorite two songs from that album, are coincidentally the ones Myles sang on

So Slash's nasally and thin tone matches Myles singing style perfectly on the new album? Is that what you guys are saying??

I kid. I swear. ;)

The mix is pretty odd. Its not great.
100% agree with this, the only thing I can think of is because it was recorded live. I wondered if they mixed Myles lower than usual as he had covid and he didn't sound entirely happy with his vocals from the interviews I saw. But there's a really is midrange thing that kinda distracts from the music.

100% agree with this, the only thing I can think of is because it was recorded live. I wondered if they mixed Myles lower than usual as he had covid and he didn't sound entirely happy with his vocals from the interviews I saw. But there's a really is midrange thing that kinda distracts from the music.
truthfully myles has never sounded happy to be apart of this band. Its a great gig, but he always refers to himself as the "reluctant frontman". I think hed rather have a guitar and sing, rather than being the guy out front.

Back
Top Bottom