Single preset guys

Dave Moore

I wonder how many users are like me and use just a single sound on the axe. For me it's a twin with the effects I tend to use (same as my old analog rig). To me the advantage of the axe is the routing and consistency. I primarily play live and if I ever get deeper into recording I might experiment more, for now I've been able to craft a signature sound that is the same where ever I go and the knobs never get bumped like my drive pedals used to.

Pretty much a main 2 or 3 preset kind of guy, primarily using the 5153 for dirt and the USA Pre Clean for the cleans. Though depending on the show, song selections, etc....I may use up to 10 different patches for different effects, acoustic sounds, synth sounds, virtual capo, ethereal verbs, etc.

I used to be. I gigged the Axe Fx III until last May using only 2 presets (one acoustic and one electric). I had a couple others for special effects, but they were used once in a blue moon. Then I got the FM3 and wasn't able to fit my kitchen sink preset, so I started making more presets, but much simpler, and that's worked out well. I play in a 90's cover band, so being able to match the tone of the band that recorded the original keeps things fun and interesting to me. Sometimes I do miss my all-in-one preset, though. I still have my Axe III, so I can relive that if I ever choose to. So far, I haven't wanted to lol. I do wish the FM3 would get global blocks, though...

Yep, 4 scenes for clean, eob/crunch, heavy, lead.

Clean: band master
Crunch: deluxe verb
Heavy: 5150
Lead: FAS lead of course

Really prefer the eob/crunch though. I find myself sticking to this all night. I reckon the different amps change the shape of the sound too much and it’s jarring. I’m thinking of switching to 2 scenes: super clean, and eob, and using drive pedals to push into heavy and lead.

Not a single preset but I do stick with one amp/cab combo to craft presets around. I've used a handful of different amps but I'll usually stick to one for a few weeks or months before finding a new one.

For live use, I have one preset that covers most of the songs. Then I have 4 other different variations. One with Volume pedal instead of wah, one with acoustic sim, one with some pitch shifting shenanigans. I stick them all with the same Global amp/cab block. This way everything is consistent with the FoH mix.

For playing at home/recording/practice, sky is the limit baby.

Last edited:
I have a "home" preset, not as in for use at home, but uses a familiar effects, amp and cab setup that is duplicated across 4 presets (with most blocks linked as "global"). For the 4 versions of it I use just now, the major differences are just the scenes available to me. Now I'm getting my head around FC-12 functionality a little better, it might end up collapsing into a single preset, maybe 2 at a stretch.

I also use a few (maybe 5-6) other presets for playing when actually at home, based on amps I have known and loved.

Like you @Dave Moore, I'm kind of stuck with recreating things that have always worked for me, and then adding a few effects (sadly, mainly that I have also known and loved :rolleyes:), and using the switching functionality. I'll do more when I have time and feel like I need to, but for me it's more about expressing myself with great tone than it is about exploring everything the Axe FX is capable of.

Works pretty well as a "generally" single amp and cab(s) model solution for me, and I do use at least some of the more advanced functionality occasionally. My "home" rig is an imitation of a Marshall JMP 2203 that I still own, but you'll be happy to hear that Fender SF Twin, Deluxe, and Princeton (all Reverb models) are the next presets up. Still have the Princeton. Between those and a Vox AC30 the Axe FX III can land me in my happy place whenever I want to play an electric guitar. After the Marshall, the Twin is my "go to".

Liam

I get all my preset switching I need with the volume, tone, and pickup controls on my guitar. ;)

I am also lazy, and laothe the tap dance while playing. I find a minimalistic approach allows
me to enjoy the music and the moment more.

I'll start exploring an amp, and build a preset around it, typically 4 levels of gain with my usual suspect effects available on footswitches. I'll sometimes save a few different versions, not sure in the moment if I improved it or not, then go back and check them out later with fresh ears.

So for that time I'm basically a single preset guy. I like refining it, and getting into its playing vibe.

Then after a while, I'll get restless, or something, and start over with a different amp or different approach of some kind. Basically one preset, just a different one. Lather, rinse etc.

I'm just entertaining myself at home, so why not? No store can match the breadth of choices in the Axe, and if there was one that could, right down the street, my wallet would collapse on the floor fibrillating.

I'm having fun!

Yep, 4 scenes for clean, eob/crunch, heavy, lead.

Clean: band master
Crunch: deluxe verb
Heavy: 5150
Lead: FAS lead of course

Really prefer the eob/crunch though. I find myself sticking to this all night. I reckon the different amps change the shape of the sound too much and it’s jarring. I’m thinking of switching to 2 scenes: super clean, and eob, and using drive pedals to push into heavy and lead.
This is essentially what I do, add drive or gain stages in 4 scenes from clean to dirty and I keep a flat eq with 4db boost at the end of the chain for leads on any of them.

Yup. AC-20 with 8 scenes of gain/effects changes for general use. Other more song specific presets with an AC-20 and several scenes.

Hmm, I'm seeing an amp pattern. If the AC-20 and DC-30 were the only amps in the Axe3, I'd buy it again.

It completely replaced my 65Amps Ventura head/cab and ridiculously big, heavy, and expensive pedalboard.

Back
Top Bottom