Show us your MFC setups! (post your pics)

Did my first show with the MFC this weekend. Made all the song changes I have to do in 3 hours extremely smooth!

At my feet:
MFCandsmallboard.jpg

MFC.jpg

smallboard.jpg

Behind the amps:
bigboard.jpg

Attachments

• MFCandsmallboard.jpg
    MFCandsmallboard.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 56
RockDebris....It's a lot to ask, but please....can you post how you have this ALL mapped out?

That could take a while. First thing to know is that there are 2 amp heads. EVH 5150 iii and Vox Night Train (both 50 watt). Some pedals come before the A/B split to those amps and can be used before either amp. Some pedals are dedicated to each amp and are placed either before that amp or in its fx loop. The EVH is the more straight-forward setup with just a couple primary sounds and few effects I control on-demand and the Night Train handles everything else and is more complex. I'll avoid getting into the audio routing for now and just discuss MIDI, because I think that is what you are asking.

The MIDI devices are:

MIDI Solutions Event Processor (a swiss army knife kind of programmable MIDI filter)
2x2 MIDI Merge
Disaster Area DPC-8EZ (bypass looper)
Sound Sculpture A/B/Y box
Sound Sculpture FootSim (for channel switching on the Night Train)
Strymon Mobius, Timeline and BigSky Pedals
EVH 5150 iii head

As you can see, there are 2 MIDI controllers. The MFC and a smaller pedal by PEAK. The MFC first runs into the Event Processor and that signal merges with the signal of the PEAK midi controller and both signals then run through the rest of the chain in the order I listed above.

The Event Processor is not mandatory, but it is convenient. I have it programmed to spit out the 3 MIDI commands necessary to do amp switching and channel selection from a single command.

So then the MFC, as you can probably see, is set for 5 preset switches. The rest of the IA switches control the 8 loops on the DMC-8EZ, the bypass state of the Mobius, Timeline and BigSky (labelled MOD, DELAY and REVERB). Switch 16 is for jumping straight to the EVH Blue Channel in the ON position and going to the Night Train Green Channel in the OFF position (just helps with doing some ad-hoc stuff as normally this change is part of the programs I recall). Finally, I have 2 switches under Reveal for holding the decay of the Timeline and BigSky.

The PEAK controller, which this is a prototype for the FCB4X model, is a great little controller in its own right. The amount of flexibility inside is almost wasted on only having 4 buttons. I mainly leave this on a bank for tapping tempos in the Strymon pedals. Other banks can be used to set the Tap Division of the Timeline and Mobius pedal, the Looper controls of the Timeline and just recalling the most used presets from those so I can if I need to (don't need to do this for songs I've programmed .. but when I'm goofing around it is handy). So, for instance, one of the banks recalls my four go-to settings in the BigSky only: Room, Spring, Plate and Bloom. I guess you could say I use the PEAK controller to make more granular changes to the pedals instead of treating everything in one big patch change ... and for aux stuff.

It's a lot to take in, but really easy to use when focusing on just what is at my feet. That was my goal, I use to have all the pedals under my feet and too many motions to memorize. Now at a show it is mainly going to the Song and pressing 1-5 on the MFC with an occasional need to do minor stuff on the right pedal board. Then I really like how this can be used in the studio when I want to create and I have on-demand control of so many aspects of the board.

Last edited:
I've done a video for my system now. The last piece of the puzzle for me was adding software to my iPod to control my set list and to send any necessary MIDI commands out to the MFC. I've used it at a couple shows already and it worked great. This was a great challenge to get laid out and all working, but during the shows it is so simple.

My latest MFC iteration

A05ADF65-B82E-417E-8FC2-F4DCFF891677_zpsqodqqeqk.jpg

I’ve used the modification as outlined here: MFC-101 Modification: Making the best MIDI Controller in the world even better to change the preset selectors to the 3rd row instead of the 1st row.

• The Green Mission EP1 is spring loaded and used almost exclusively for Wah (or Whammy once in a while).
  • The Red Mission EP1 is not spring loaded and used mostly for Delay mix.
  • The dual switch at the top (E2 Boss RC-Series Aux switch | T1M EFFECTS) is used for Vol Incr and Vol Decr.
  • The single switch in front of the red EP1 ([MT] Mini Tap Tempo Switch | T1M EFFECTS) is used as a momentary switch that will usually give a slight drive increase and a volume boost (my talent booster :))
  • The dial in the lower left corner ([ME] Mini Expression Pedal | T1M EFFECTS) is my master volume, attached to a volume block after the cab block in all my presets.
  • All TRS cables are made by Dan at This1smyne: Right Angle TRS (stereo) Cables | T1M EFFECTS.
  • Everything is fitted on a Pedaltrain-2. It may look like there’s an overhang in the picture but the MFC is placed at the right edge of the PT2. If I could be bothered I probably should switch the output jacks on the Ep-1’s to the right side so that the cable doesn’t go on the outside of the PT2, but I’ve never had an issue so it’s not a priority.

Changes since last post:

• I've now switched to going all out with scenes so IA 1-4 (1st row) selects Scene 1-4, IA5 Tap/Tuner. IA6-9 selects Scene 5-8, IA10: Boost (Filter 3).
  • With this many Scenes I felt I had to name the scenes as good as I can. Row 2 (Scene 5-8) is mostly alternate functions like adding modulation and IA6 (Scene 5) can either mean Clean (for say my Plexi preset where the base scene 1 is fairly driven) or added chorus (from my doubleverb preset where the base (Scene 1) is clean and dry.

I've done a video for my system now. The last piece of the puzzle for me was adding software to my iPod to control my set list and to send any necessary MIDI commands out to the MFC. I've used it at a couple shows already and it worked great. This was a great challenge to get laid out and all working, but during the shows it is so simple.

wow a ton of information in this thread from you. awesome!

i proof-of-concept'd a similar setup using my iPad and Songbook+. Songbook has my lyrics and also a mp3 backing track in a sortable list of songs etc. build your setlist for whatever gig and lyrics and tracks are there. then i ran the camera connect kit for usb to a presonus audiobox 1818 for the midi and audio playback, then midi to Axe, then Axe thru to a tc voicelive rack - of course an mfc via ethernet to the axe.

this all worked well and i could select a song on the ipad and it would set my axe preset (and tc preset) or i could choose a preset on the axe with the MFC and it'd call up the correct song lyrics. amazing what can be done these days!

i didn't see it in the video, but may i ask how you have your ipod connected to the next midi device? is that an iRig midi on the floor? that's been the missing piece for me, a good midi interface for the iOS device. just curious how you're doing it. thanks.

wow a ton of information in this thread from you. awesome!

i proof-of-concept'd a similar setup using my iPad and Songbook+. Songbook has my lyrics and also a mp3 backing track in a sortable list of songs etc. build your setlist for whatever gig and lyrics and tracks are there. then i ran the camera connect kit for usb to a presonus audiobox 1818 for the midi and audio playback, then midi to Axe, then Axe thru to a tc voicelive rack - of course an mfc via ethernet to the axe.

this all worked well and i could select a song on the ipad and it would set my axe preset (and tc preset) or i could choose a preset on the axe with the MFC and it'd call up the correct song lyrics. amazing what can be done these days!

i didn't see it in the video, but may i ask how you have your ipod connected to the next midi device? is that an iRig midi on the floor? that's been the missing piece for me, a good midi interface for the iOS device. just curious how you're doing it. thanks.

Sounds like Songbook+ and Set List Maker have a similar strategy. Strange I didn't come across Songbook+ in my search on iTunes. There is a lot more to Set List Maker than I need right now, including lyrics and backing tracks. Some really interesting features are the ability to synchronize the song database and set lists with the other members of the band, link all the screens up during the gig and create custom layouts (the layout in my video is custom, it just has what I need on the screen .. only a fraction of the info that can be on there). Still going to have to check out Songbook+ now see if the grass is any greener.

I'm using the iRig2. So far, it has been stable during operation and gigging. I did run into glitches while I was experimenting that I believe were the iRig's fault. Such as it stopped listening to input or it process the command on the input 2 or 3 times, but these problems haven't cropped up in normal use or during a gig. The iRig2 has 3 full-size MIDI IN/OUT/THRU connectors and supports lightning connection to the iPod directly without getting an adapter. Those are the features that sold me on that one.

ok thought it was an iRig. i'll check it out again :)

i'm reading about setlist maker, pretty sure i tried it years ago, but now with v4 wow it does a lot!

setlist+ is ipad only, so maybe why you didn't find it, as it won't work with iPod.

i think you're in good hands with set list maker - that custom layout is great and it can record automation and do all the preset switching for you if you play to a backing track. that's cool!

i actually DON'T use tracks, i was just testing to see the capabilities. so i think i'm gonna revisit set list maker :)

thanks again!

Still got to finish labeling my switches and get a proper set of expansion switches, but here's my temp setup.
It appears I'm the only guy here who likes the Moog EXP pedals? I love em!
ZiIk6bg.jpg

I'm not sure why we haven't seen those pedals before, either. They look pretty nice. Have you got them all assigned yet?

Also, I'd strongly suggest you switch that CAT5 cable/connection to some Neutrik gear such as this feedthrough and use this cable (of appropriate length) to run back and forth to the Axe. They'll take a helluva lot more abuse. Standard CAT 5 cables are simply too fragile for this duty. You'll destroy it in no time flat, and they're not as widely available as most musical equipment cables. That's why Fractal switched to that connector as standard on the Mark II version of the MFC, then to the BNC version on the Mark III.

I'm not sure why we haven't seen those pedals before, either. They look pretty nice. Have you got them all assigned yet?
I do! For the patches I've created thus far, anyway. I'm only on about week 4 of owning this thing, I'm still figuring a lot out but it made it through its first gig with me and a few practices and so far I've managed to piss off the guitar player in my original band (he LOVES the way it sounds and is a little soured on his Dual-Rec w/Mesa 4x12) and everyone's been really skeptical that I'm really just playing through a rack into a QSC K12.

Anyway, so far I think I've more or less settled on: (From Left to Right) Delay/Reverb -> Volume -> Pitch/Mod -> Wah
I'm contemplating moving the MFC one slot to the left, leaving the Delay/Reverb pedal on the left, and having Vol/Pitch/Wah on the right.

Cagey said:
Also, I'd strongly suggest you switch that CAT5 cable/connection to some Neutrik gear such as this feedthrough and use this cable (of appropriate length) to run back and forth to the Axe. They'll take a helluva lot more abuse. Standard CAT 5 cables are simply too fragile for this duty. You'll destroy it in no time flat, and they're not as widely available as most musical equipment cables. That's why Fractal switched to that connector as standard on the Mark II version of the MFC, then to the BNC version on the Mark III.
I appreciate the advice but I'm way ahead of you (having studied EXTENSIVELY on the forums here prior to my purchase).
I have a couple of those on order as well as a set of rack panels to tie everything together. The cheap little blue cable you see there is just something I knocked together to be able to throw it down to practice with (I still have all of my network engineering tools and a buttload of bulk ethernet cable).

I was really worried about its strength during my gig, so I ended up bringing like 5 extra cables with me.
I also have the option of using an XLR (since the MFC is the MkIII and I have an XL) but I already had it set and it only took a minute or so to throw some spares together and I know this setup works and I was a little afraid of monkeying around with anything before I get more comfortable with it.

BUT, you are correct, I've already rectified this based on other posts and I appreciate your taking the time to help square me away!

Edit: Wait, why would I need the feedthrough? I do NOT have one of those on order. I had planned on going straight from the Axe-FX into the MFC, is there something I'm missing by not using a feedthrough? Less strain on the MFC port or something else?

Standard CAT 5 cables are simply too fragile for this duty. You'll destroy it in no time flat, and they're not as widely available as most musical equipment cables.

While you're correct about durability, I'd say they're actually more widely available. You can find CAT5 at pretty much any Hardware or electronics store.

Edit: Wait, why would I need the feedthrough? I do NOT have one of those on order. I had planned on going straight from the Axe-FX into the MFC, is there something I'm missing by not using a feedthrough? Less strain on the MFC port or something else?

Pretty much. You can attach that thing to your pedalboard and that way, if the cable does manage to get pulled out, and the output port gets damaged, you only have to replace the feedthrough rather than having to get your MFC repaired.

Pretty much. You can attach that thing to your pedalboard and that way, if the cable does manage to get pulled out, and the output port gets damaged, you only have to replace the feedthrough rather than having to get your MFC repaired.
Solid, makes a ton of sense and I just ordered a couple.

Thanks!

If you've got the Mark III, you don't need the feed-through. It already has both a Neutrik and a BNC connector. I have the Mark I, so in order to use the Neutrik connector/cable I had to convert from the standard CAT5 to their industrial version.

While you're correct about durability, I'd say they're actually more widely available. You can find CAT5 at pretty much any Hardware or electronics store.

Stores, yes. The things are ubiquitous since the internet. But, in your trick bag? Maybe not so much. Besides, I worried more about the connector on the MFC or Axe getting broken than the cable. Cables are cheap.

If you've got the Mark III, you don't need the feed-through. It already has both a Neutrik and a BNC connector. I have the Mark I, so in order to use the Neutrik connector/cable I had to convert from the standard CAT5 to their industrial version.
Kind of what I figured, which was why I asked about the durability angle.
All good, after I looked at it I decided I like having my cable come off the left or right of the board more than the top anyway. Now to see if I can source a heavy duty right-angle jack. ;)

Yeah, I liked mine coming off the side as well, so I dismantled the feed-through connector and bolted it to a clear area on the backside of the MFC. Works well. If somebody trips over the cable, it's unlikely anything bad will happen to the MFC. And as long as I've got gaffers/duct tape around, trip hazards are kept to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom