Should I trade an LP Axcess for a mk II?

macfly

Inspired
As a couple of us in town are awaiting our invites to buy an AX8, an idea bubbled up to trade my 2009 LP Axcess for an AxeFx II. I am new to this gear, but am gonna guess that the guitar will hold value longer.

On the other hand, I would like to have a second FAS rig for backup, 'though it sounds like I shouldn't need it. Also wonder if I'd really like using two amps...I am thinking of having a stereo rig eventually.

Thoughts from you pros?

Last edited:
Knowing what I know now, yes trade if you can.

If you asked me when I first got my axe fx I would have said no.

Although, if the guitar has any sentimental value then I wouldn't do it. If it's about resale, man I can't even tell you how "valuable" the fractal is to me, financially and otherwise.

Nope, no particular sentimental value. It's my only Floyd guitar, but I really don't use the whammy enough to keep it. Besides, I'm digging the whammy on my FX8! I do notice that AF2s are holding value relative to other gear, even 4 years out, but I guess I was thinking about once the 2 becomes the Standard. Thing is, at 53 I don't think I'm really gonna give a crap ten years from now. Hmmm...

I bought an Axcess when they first came out and I thought the quality was not up to par for what they cost. I sent it back. The Ax Fx on the other hand, is the opposite.

Hey guys, I'm afraid I didn't anticipate the replies...I don't want to ship it and actually not in a hurry to get rid of it. The offer I got from a local friend was interesting, but I'm not sure I'm gonna trade. I've spent a bunch of time and money upgrading the bridge from Korean to German FR, adding titanium block and other parts, and tweaking pickups.

I'm only considering my friend's trade (mkii and midi controller) because it would be easy (he lives here in town...Richmond, VA). If I could sell it outright, in town, that would be great.

My bad for the confusion.

Last edited:
I'm not too far from Richmond and I have an Axe II mk1 and mfc101 mk1 I'm getting ready to sell :)

I wouldn't do it based on what will hold it's value longer. As good as it is, the Axe Fx is electronics, it will hold it's value like a good PC or stereo system will hold it's value. If you're planning on selling the guitar anyway, and it's currently valued at about the same amount as the Axe Fx II, then why not. That's assuming you will use the Axe Fx and it won't be just sitting idle (in which case I'd keep the LP).

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's what's nagging me. If its only a backup, maybe there's a less expensive way to do it...like a second AX8--and keep the LPA. Guess its too soon to be thinking about this--need to get the AX8 first.

Nope, no particular sentimental value. It's my only Floyd guitar, but I really don't use the whammy enough to keep it. Besides, I'm digging the whammy on my FX8! I do notice that AF2s are holding value relative to other gear, even 4 years out, but I guess I was thinking about once the 2 becomes the Standard. Thing is, at 53 I don't think I'm really gonna give a crap ten years from now. Hmmm...
Life's too short especially at 53 so, trade the LP for some great playing time and memories!

Life is short at 53? Ouch! I'm looking for a LP Axcess, and I'm 54. Guess I better buy one and start playing it before it's too late!

Thanks for the input everyone. My gut's telling me to keep the guitar. Figure I'll get the AX8 and that'll help me decide. May see if my friend will let me borrow the AFXii to see if it is a must have. I'm basically all about live playing at this point, and I'd guess that one amp and cab will be just fine. Maybe that will hold me until I'm ready to buy whatever is next in FAS land. I definitely have too much time on my hands right now and waiting on and reading all the rave reviews of the AX8 is not making me a more stable person. He-he.

Life is short at 53? Ouch! I'm looking for a LP Axcess, and I'm 54. Guess I better buy one and start playing it before it's too late!
Sorry, I'm 62 which probably explains my outlook! To me, no one guitar is more important to my musical experience than the Axe FX II (especially one that is not my main guitar at the moment but, who knows what guitar I will be jones'n for next).

Back
Top Bottom