Should I buy an used axe fx 2?

ujjwalgupta27

I am recently planning to upgrade my gear and was going around options. I am an intermediate level guitar player with some decent experience in recording, and I will be using the fx unit mostly in my home studio.

I am getting an used axe fx 2 mark 2 at around $1300. Is it a good time to buy the unit? I am a bit skeptical as they have probably released the last firmware update and I just want that if I buy this unit, I am able to play with it unhindered for atleast 5-6 years(no kind of software or hardware compatibilty issues). Also can I reset the factory presets if I get a used one? And the last time I was testing the axe fx 2 I noticed a slight hum on my single coil neck pickup, is it usual and does it go away with dedicated gate on signal chain?

I was comparing it with hx stomp which is almost half the price but it sounds a bit digital to me as I tested its sound with Helix native(which is supposed to be running the same software) which line 6 is giving a free trial for

Is it a good time to buy this or should I wait for something like fm-3 which I am not sure I will even get as it does not get imported to my country directly and so many other variables

All presets on the II can be altered, replaced or deleted, so no problem there.
Always a good time to get a FAS unit of any kind, as they are still the best IMHO.

> Also can I reset the factory presets if I get a used one?
Yes, takes 5 minutes or faster. Download from official page, Fractal Bot upload, done.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a mature product. Try to look back at yourself in time, imagine buying your first JCM 800 (or Reverb deluxe or whatever "serious" amp) after saving money for an eternity. Would you check the Marshal (Fender, xyz) web site every night eagerly waiting for the latest firmware update, or just play the darn thing?

It's been a good time following the product grow but honestly, a new firmware is mostly motivation to do the obvious, that is, review what you've got (and what you've got is more than most people would ever have the time to use properly). I'd make that decision early, then accept it as it is and focus on the music.

One interesting observation, the Axe FX USB drivers are already very old and work flawlessly, so does the software (speaking about myself only).
BTW having gone through firmware updates with another vendor that shall remain unnamed, I could mention that the Axe Fx sets an example, not a single issue over the years (for me!). This shouldn't be taken for granted, oh no...

Thanks for replying,
Do you think there is any hum issue with single coils in the unit? I have just tested it once and did not have much time to tweak settings.
Can I trust it with single coils?

I can only state the obvious - the unit is on the market for a long time and I'd have noise problems fixed at the guitar, not base an amp purchase decision on it. Single coils are inherently more noisy than humbuckers or dual-single-coil arrangements. With too much gain, you'll eventually hear it (note, with a more noisy amp / modeler your single-coil noise may get buried in the input noise but that doesn't exactly improve things).
My pedal steel has single coil only, I'm not aware of noise issues (but I don't run that with death metal gain settings... well... unless I'm having a really bad day...)

I got lucky and got a near new Mark 2 for $800 while on the wait list for the FM3, After upgrading to Ares 2.0 I won't be getting the FM3. But I will say I would not have bought a used unit (unless it was a III) for the same or more than the price of a new FM3.

$1300 seems high, ive seen III’s for for $1500. I sold mine for $1150 a year ago and I’m sure in this market the buyer holds the cards as so many people can’t or won’t be willing to spend money in gear

Back
Top Bottom