Shiva Clean distorted tone when note dies out?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
The Shiva Clean amp is my go to amp for clean sounds. Today I discovered that when the tone dies out the sound becomes distorted. When you play a chord or note the tone is clean but as to the sound dies out in the last moment it becomes distorted. Others amps don't seem to have this problem.
I have tried this with only the Amp 1 in the grid. No noise gate and no compressor. Anyone else has this or can test this in his machine? or someone has an explanation for this?

Also - I pray that Axe-edit isn't open when you're having this problem. Otherwise, see the Axe Edit forum for why you shouldn't be using it.

It also without using Axe Edit

Can you share your preset?

I will next week. In the mean time can someone try this for me?:
Only Amp1 Shiva clean in the grid, set noise gate threshold to off (so noise gate off). Play a chord (say open A power chord) Let it ring and then listen very carefully when the note dies out. In the (very) last moment when the chord starts dying out a distorted background sound is coming. It like the processor can't handle the last bit of the sustaining sound or something. Strange thing is that it only happens with Shiva clean. When I keep the same settings and go to another amp it's gone.

Hey there,
I noticed a similar issue with "Mr. Z..." clean. When playing very softly, Axe produced distortion.

Only Amp1 Shiva clean in the grid, set noise gate threshold to off (so noise gate off). Play a chord (say open A power chord) Let it ring and then listen very carefully when the note dies out. In the (very) last moment when the chord starts dying out a distorted background sound is coming. It like the processor can't handle the last bit of the sustaining sound or something. Strange thing is that it only happens with Shiva clean. When I keep the same settings and go to another amp it's gone.

not doing that here, it just dies out. That sure sounds like noise gate chatter to me.

I heard this in the past when I played with guitar cabs. Not specific to any amp but I noticed it much more playing clean. I thought it had something to do with my speakers but then I never heard it with my tube amps plugged in.
It doesn't happen with FR cabs though.
I haven't tried it with my guitar cabs in a while but I did hear this very thing you are describing.
I thought maybe it had soemthing to do with the noise gate but I had it off.

Clean here; nothing like you describe at all for me. What you are describing sounds *very* much like noise gate is on for some reason. Perhaps the preset is corrupted? Save it to another slot and see if it happens there too.

Try setting the gate to see if that alleviates it too - try a 5ms attack, 100ms release and threshold to taste (just enough to get the meter under the parameter 'Ratio').

Thank you all for your help!

I agree it sounds like a noise gate problem. But I have the treshhold with the noise gate set on OFF. So I guess the noise gate is completely off this way? still no difference.
Also I have tried it on different presets with only the amp 1 block in the grid nothing else.

It doesn't happen with FR cabs though.

I have tried it with FR and cab. No difference

Back
Top Bottom