Implemented Shimmer Reverb

You can create a damn good 1-block shimmer using the PLEX. Here's a block for you. Share a clip of what you do with it!

Tips:
1. Make sure the sum of your detune values is zero.
2. Use (at least some) delay times that are "golden" with respect to each other.
3. A little ducking sounds nice.
4. Input diffusion to the max!
5. Touch of mod.

Attachments

• 1-block shimmer_20181129_202915.blk
    1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I know the FX III is capable and I think it could be more popular with those looking for ambient sounds if there were more canned presets and blocks available utilizing the reverbs and delays. The amps, drives and cabs portion of the FX III seem quite mature. It would be nice to have more blocks and presets developed using the effects in the III - like Camilo and Simeon Harris did for instance.

I am excited to try these. My reason for asking though, is that I have my preset full of blocks. I made a "session preset" and I have two reverbs happening, where I could add a shimmer reverb as a channel. I already have a delay with all 4 channels used up. I can't add a pitch unless I did one of those Output Input loops to keep the chain going. I'm not sure if that makes sense. I'm in Mexico for a gig now but when I get back I'll post a picture.

I can't add a pitch unless I did one of those Output Input loops to keep the chain going. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
If you need to extend the grid to add more blocks in a chain just use a Feedback Send and Feedback Return pair of blocks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.14.17 PM.png

There's no reason to need to avoid doing this; it's simple and effective. In the above image you can see how much more signal chain I get with the Send/Return pair and I haven't even optimized the grid by moving everything on row 3 up to row 1 or 2.

You can create a damn good 1-block shimmer using the PLEX. Here's a block for you. Share a clip of what you do with it!

Tips:
1. Make sure the sum of your detune values is zero.
2. Use (at least some) delay times that are "golden" with respect to each other.
3. A little ducking sounds nice.
4. Input diffusion to the max!
5. Touch of mod.
This is a beautiful shimmer. To get the most out of it, here are a couple of things to note:

1) Input Diffusion Mix is set to zero. As @Admin M@ says in the post, turn it up to max! The resulting wash is sublime.

2) This block is set up to run in parallel with your dry signal. Adjust Level to taste.

Have fun (I did)!

This is a beautiful shimmer. To get the most out of it, here are a couple of things to note:

1) Input Diffusion Mix is set to zero. As @Admin M@ says in the post, turn it up to max! The resulting wash is sublime.

Diffusion Mix is set to zero in channel A.

My guess however is that channel B embodies the sought-after shimmer effect.

I realize that but building it out of separate blocks gives more options and superior results.

i think that's going to be the trick to build a DS-1. which is why the creator doesn't model one, because you can probably do it already, the monkeys just haven't figured it out yet.

I see both sides. I do think accessibility is always a good thing, especially as you gain more and more mass/mainstream acceptance. So while the means may be there, some don't want or need all the extra controls and just want a quick *insert effect here*. There's also something to be said for people's ability to dial in said fx.

That being said, I hate crystals type shimmer, my preferred method is pitch shift into plex detune with tons of diffusion. sounds glorious with none of the annoying synthetic crystals sound

Last edited:
Diffusion Mix is set to zero in channel A.

My guess however is that channel B embodies the sought-after shimmer effect.

Yes, my mistake. I did not notice that the block was on channel B when I exported it.

That being said, I hate crystals type shimmer, my preferred method is pitch shift into plex detune with tons of diffusion. sounds glorious with none of the annoying synthetic crystals sound

Sounds interesting - do you have a preset you could share?

I think this is the type of "effect preset" I wish were more readily available on the FX III. The delays, reverbs, etc are very powerful on the FX III and it takes a lot of knowledge/experience to know how to set the right parameters and combine them to get sounds that are readily available on some pedals just by the selection of a knob. Strymon, Eventide, etc have many presets to choose from baked into their pedals. And I still use those pedals with my FX III. I would love to simplify and use the FX III only but I would need a FX III library of "effects presets" that offers similar sounds as a starting point to be able to eliminate those pedals. Just thinking out loud......

Sounds interesting - do you have a preset you could share?

I think this is the type of "effect preset" I wish were more readily available on the FX III. The delays, reverbs, etc are very powerful on the FX III and it takes a lot of knowledge/experience to know how to set the right parameters and combine them to get sounds that are readily available on some pedals just by the selection of a knob. Strymon, Eventide, etc have many presets to choose from baked into their pedals. And I still use those pedals with my FX III. I would love to simplify and use the FX III only but I would need a FX III library of "effects presets" that offers similar sounds as a starting point to be able to eliminate those pedals. Just thinking out loud......

“Problem” though is that you end up with tons of people all using the same preset, and suddenly a cool sound becomes totally cliche. It’s the same as when I was doing a lot of synth production. New keyboard came out and had a unique preset and suddenly you were hearing a hundred tracks with the same sound.

The upside to needing to do a little experimentation and combine your own settings together is that you can come up with fresh and unique sounds, and others can’t instantly duplicate it by turning a knob.

Same as when I used to do some studio engineering and we’d get a tone based on a bunch of variables. Amp, how we mic’d, board, any effects etc. Even if people knew your amp etc, they couldn’t easily match the tone.

Now days you hear a cool tone and you ask for the preset. You’ve got the amp model, the effects, the cab etc all right there, press of a button. Guitar, playing etc, can still vary things, but essentially any “secret” is no longer secret, nor does it effectively require any experience or knowledge.

I’m not saying that all is a bad thing, there are some good arguments for letting people get great tones without a lot of effort. Some don’t want to understand how it works, they want to turn a dial and have a famous tone pop up.

But, it also means anyone else can do the same too. I personally can’t stand hearing another shimmer verb, or someone doing the “blue orchid” POG setting etc. Once a week I hear a band still doing that stuff in original songs and it just gets old, IMO. Nothing against anyone who likes a loves an effect. Wah has been done to death and I still love using it. But, I think there are core effects and then effecty effects, and the later can quickly become a gimmick.

Stuff you create yourself can certainly still become a gimmick, but you’ve probably got far longer before everyone is doing it, especially if it’s not ready as the press of a button.

I’m old and grumpy though and DIY everything I can, short of making my own clothes. I don’t want ready made, I enjoy the process, the knowledge and skill that goes into things like soldering a pedal. I like having something no one else does. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I’m sure tons of people would gladly trade some flexibility and ultimate sound quality for plug and play

“Problem” though is that you end up with tons of people all using the same preset, and suddenly a cool sound becomes totally cliche. It’s the same as when I was doing a lot of synth production. New keyboard came out and had a unique preset and suddenly you were hearing a hundred tracks with the same sound.

The upside to needing to do a little experimentation and combine your own settings together is that you can come up with fresh and unique sounds, and others can’t instantly duplicate it by turning a knob.

Same as when I used to do some studio engineering and we’d get a tone based on a bunch of variables. Amp, how we mic’d, board, any effects etc. Even if people knew your amp etc, they couldn’t easily match the tone.

Now days you hear a cool tone and you ask for the preset. You’ve got the amp model, the effects, the cab etc all right there, press of a button. Guitar, playing etc, can still vary things, but essentially any “secret” is no longer secret, nor does it effectively require any experience or knowledge.

I’m not saying that all is a bad thing, there are some good arguments for letting people get great tones without a lot of effort. Some don’t want to understand how it works, they want to turn a dial and have a famous tone pop up.

But, it also means anyone else can do the same too. I personally can’t stand hearing another shimmer verb, or someone doing the “blue orchid” POG setting etc. Once a week I hear a band still doing that stuff in original songs and it just gets old, IMO. Nothing against anyone who likes a loves an effect. Wah has been done to death and I still love using it. But, I think there are core effects and then effecty effects, and the later can quickly become a gimmick.

Stuff you create yourself can certainly still become a gimmick, but you’ve probably got far longer before everyone is doing it, especially if it’s not ready as the press of a button.

I’m old and grumpy though and DIY everything I can, short of making my own clothes. I don’t want ready made, I enjoy the process, the knowledge and skill that goes into things like soldering a pedal. I like having something no one else does. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I’m sure tons of people would gladly trade some flexibility and ultimate sound quality for plug and play
I agree with the core of what you are saying... But the flip side is that there are many really cool sounds that I would never even THINK of trying to create unless I'd heard them first. That was one thing I really liked about the Adrenalinn III when I had one. There were a lot of very cool, usable effects at the twist of a knob.

I like that I CAN craft all kinds of cool effects with the Axe Fx as a toolbox, but at the same time, it can really take the piss out of being creative with music to have to be in "effect designer" mode.

Having some of these cool "multi-effect" type of canned effects at my fingertips allows me to just be inspired. Plus, they are only a starting point as they still have various parameters I can use to customize them.

Ah the Adrenaline, fun stuff! Haven’t thought of it in years. One of the first easy ways to get things like bpm synced tremolo and other effects. I really used to enjoy mine too, don’t remember what happened to it even....

That and my old Boss SE-70 (has a vocoder among other things) were two of the most fun effects boxes I’ve ever owned.

I think ultimately the way technology is going everything will be largely plug and play.

With photography for example, you really don’t have to understand exposure, depth of field, post processing etc anymore, you press a button on your phone and the AI blends an hdr exposure, calculates optimal post processing based on machine learning, simulates background blur etc.

Millions of photos are being taken every day, that look darn good, and people don’t have to have any idea how any of it works. That isn’t a bad thing per say.

I spent half my life working as a pro photographer and I started on fully manual cameras. You know to expose, frame, focus, develop, print etc all by hand, and it was sure a lot more work to take a photo than pressing a button. As a result, photos were more special occasion items, we didn’t snap 30 pictures of our food each meal like we do now lol.

Cars we drive, our phones, home automatic thermostats, essentially everything is becoming easier, with less effort/input, and still great outcomes. My 8 speed tranny can shift far better than I could ever work a manual gear box for example, and I don’t even think about it.

Manual stuff will still be around, but it’s interesting to think about the future of modeling. Will it be like a juke box with thousands of iconic tones and just one knob? Turn the dial, get what you want, play your guitar, likely will riding in a self driving car ?

I’m old and grumpy though and DIY everything I can, short of making my own clothes. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I was going to quip: "Sometimes his messages post kind of choppy. You see, he made his own computer, and when he stops pedaling, the computer sort of browns-out."

Back
Top Bottom