settings mids for live use thread

julindres

hey guys...just looking for different opinions of how you guys set your mids for live playing with a band? i had some nice tones, decided to rework them and sounded awsome...in the band, could barley be heard...yeap it was missing mids...
so let me know your mids settings for live use and also write for which amps you use what settings since each amp has different tone....

thanks!!!!

Ummmm..... There's no magical setting for how u dial in mids just turn then up in the amp eq section u can then use a geq or a peq to fine tune them

I like this idea, I use mine for gigging. Maybe include any other live tips, tricks, and stories also.

hey guys...just looking for different opinions of how you guys set your mids for live playing with a band? i had some nice tones, decided to rework them and sounded awsome...in the band, could barley be heard...yeap it was missing mids...
so let me know your mids settings for live use and also write for which amps you use what settings since each amp has different tone....

thanks!!!!

Here is what i usually do to my patches for live gigs, I set up a PA at rehearsal(decent size doesn't have to be huge, but something that represents the average PA, and i play it pretty loud.) and play back some audio tracks that have drums, some keyboards, vocals, bass etc, usually a full mix with everything minus GTR, then i play to that and fine tune EQ, levels, delay mix levels etc, this for me is the only way to set up my patches propely, at home i usually make the patches with Genelec studio speakers, but i find it never translates 100%, usually need more mids, and other EQ changes and need to fine tune levels etc.
Also have the FOH takes notes of what patches aren't working(levels, eq, etc) and I keep fine tuning till the sound guy doesn't have to do much. I think someone just giving you their setting won't really work , different guitars, pickups, different PA's etc..for best results you'll need to do it yourself in my opinion.

usually when i create a patch i never let my mids go below noon. I know it goes against the scooped sound of Metal but you can still achieve metal sounding tones without scooping. It's not so bad if theres only 1 guitarist in a band but if you have 2 mids make a huge difference!

Here is what i usually do to my patches for live gigs, I set up a PA at rehearsal(decent size doesn't have to be huge, but something that represents the average PA, and i play it pretty loud.) and play back some audio tracks that have drums, some keyboards, vocals, bass etc, usually a full mix with everything minus GTR, then i play to that and fine tune EQ, levels, delay mix levels etc, this for me is the only way to set up my patches propely, at home i usually make the patches with Genelec studio speakers, but i find it never translates 100%, usually need more mids, and other EQ changes and need to fine tune levels etc.
Also have the FOH takes notes of what patches aren't working(levels, eq, etc) and I keep fine tuning till the sound guy doesn't have to do much. I think someone just giving you their setting won't really work , different guitars, pickups, different PA's etc..for best results you'll need to do it yourself in my opinion.

I like this approach also. It's time and labor intensive, but I think it'll be the only way that I can get my patches the way I want them to be heard. We use high quality IEMs, but they seem to make the patches sound genric, still struggling wit that end also. BTW I still can't find the talent knob on my Ultra... :)

I think the whole mid scoop thing has got a bit skewed. The thing is, a lot of these bands having mid scoops on their amps are using speakers like V30s which have some weird peaks in the mids. I think the one cancels out (at least to some extent) the other. Therefore, if you remove/change the speaker, then that's when you end up having sounds with no body to them. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom