Setting low cut high cut ... where to start from ...

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi everyone ,
I knew there is an old thread that I don t manage to find anymore where Cliff gave his own personal setting for setting low cut , high cut as a starting point in the cab block , and also Filter slop settings if remember.
So what are the settings advise for bet frequencies and good cab block settings .... ???
Thanks for any advise , personal thoughts , settings and opinion ....and also what are according to you the main parameters to tweak in the cab block ...
Thank and cheeeers to everyone
Fafa

It is IR, tone, amp, guitar, and genre dependent. You can't rely on anyone else's favorite settings without knowing a whole lot more about what is driving those preferences. Lower the high cut until it sounds good. Increase the low cut until it sounds good.

I usually start with 80hz to 8000hz at home. Depending on how a PA is dialed in when using it live, I almost always have to raise 80hz to around 100hz. Always helps to get rid of some 3600hz over a live PA as well.

I do 80 on low and anywhere from 5-8k depending... just turn it up to test, I find you need to be at volume to hear it. I've also been having good luck with decreasing dynamic presence, which is something new for me.

Presumably once high and low cut are set in the cab block there's no need to change them in any of the other blocks that have high and low cut options?

If you Low Cut and High Cut in the Cab Block, do you also need to Cut those frequencies in the Global EQ Ouput Settings ?

I find myself preferring to use the preamp on the speaker block to take care of high frequency. 35 uS tape drive is great, and even without saturation. Just turn it up until it starts to tickle the red, then adjust to taste. Then try the different alignments.

For low frequency, yeah...anywhere from 70-120Hz.

Hi everyone ,
I knew there is an old thread that I don t manage to find anymore where Cliff gave his own personal setting for setting low cut , high cut as a starting point in the cab block , and also Filter slop settings if remember.
So what are the settings advise for bet frequencies and good cab block settings .... ???
Thanks for any advise , personal thoughts , settings and opinion ....and also what are according to you the main parameters to tweak in the cab block ...
Thank and cheeeers to everyone
Fafa

I personally do low-cuts between 80hz/100hz, and hi-cuts between 7k-10k. A lot depends on the tone. For example, if you want glassy, sparkly straty clean tone, you don't wanna hi cut too much. Also, for that kind of tone, you don't need 80hz, it can be higher... depending on the mix of the instruments and the song, maybe even up to 150hz. What I would recommend is, while you're dialing/tweaking, play along with a song. Doing a low-cut at first might seem like you're missing out on body if you're just listening to the guitar alone. Most of the classic guitar recordings are a lot brighter and thiner than we think, and the low end is actually coming from the bass.

Presumably once high and low cut are set in the cab block there's no need to change them in any of the other blocks that have high and low cut options?
Yes, you would want to use a low cut before a gain stage to eliminate flub and mud. So you would use it in the Drive block or in a filter block or EQ block before the amp and/or drive pedals. Same goes for the high cut, if you have excessive highs or you want a smoother distortion sound ya cut the highs.
And then ya have other places where ya would want to also use your cuts on certain effects like Reverbs & Delays to kinda carve out a bit more sonic room for what you’re playing in real time and settle the effect into the background a bit, plus it just sounds a bit more natural.

Last edited:
There's low cut and high cut, definition and one dynamic eq band on the amp blocks preamp eq page. The signal gets shaped there before the actual amp block.

I have put the cab setting for low/high cut on my Performance page. Seems to me that the venue has a bit to do with the range. The levels mentioned here are a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom