set Song Tempo for each song – overview – and a brand new solution

In my case, our drummer uses a metronome to set the tempo for each song. Even on a song where guitar starts alone, he checks his metronome and then he'll count off four beats (or whatever's appropriate) quietly before I start. (He could use a click but he doesn't want it in his ear. He's the only one of use using in-ears.) It would be nice for me to be able to start a song without having to wait for the drummer. It just now dawned on me that I can set and save the tempo for each song, and I could simply use the tap tempo light on my FC unit to give me the tempo before I start the song.
Ours has a variant on this, he has one phone lighting in the song tempo that he uses for starting a song, and another that lights on the real measured tempo. Whenever we derive too much he will 'pull us on track'. He too can't stand an In Ear click.

Sorry, but it’s not possible.

Axe-Fx III does not accept a CC value for Tempo.
There is no way in the Setup where you can assign a CC value to Tempo.

Up to now, only Sysex message is possible to set Tempo per value.

CC can only be assigned to Tap-In the tempo.
Sorry, exact, I used the CCvalue on Axe Fx 2 but didn't remember this was only tempo TAP (000/127).

For a live band that doesn’t use a click… tap tempo in the delay block… use a on off switch and tap it in (about 2-4 taps). It might not be perfect live, but you’ll be close. For recording (I use a click to stay perfect) I’ll dial in the delay time to the tempo.

I’m looking for a solution also, I’m using forscore and already use it to engage effects/scene but never found a solution for tempo.
How does work the tap in to set a tempo, you just set the CC and a value?
But 0-127 is not enough

I’m looking for a solution also, I’m using forscore and already use it to engage effects/scene but never found a solution for tempo.
How does work the tap in to set a tempo, you just set the CC and a value?
But 0-127 is not enough
As mentioned before in this thread Fractal devices do NOT accept a CC value for tempo. Only tempo Tap-in.

For each „Tap“ you have to send a MIDI CC 127.

That‘s why this CC is send by the metronome in Songbook.
Each song has the metronome tempo set within the song.

The metronome is - depending on how you configured it - defined to send the Tempo Tap-in CC either as count-in or continously (or not at all ;)).

Last edited:
i use a single preset for everything.

if i needed to implement tempos per song for a gig tonight, i would duplicate the preset for each song, change the preset name to each song, and store the tempo.

same preset, just tempo changed (at first), and preset title confirmation for the song.

and from there, if i want or need to make changes to things for each song, i can since they're all separate presets now. add a flanger to one and not the others, etc.

i think preset per song is the best way to adjust for songs that absolutely need different things no matter what it is.
It certainly is but as I'm using about 4-6 presets during a whole gig personally I don't like the idea of having to adjust 45 presets at each firmware change. Here is where numeric has a limit. With an analog rig this probably is less an issue, fatally, as you have to do with what you have on the pedal board.

For a live band that doesn’t use a click… tap tempo in the delay block… use a on off switch and tap it in (about 2-4 taps). It might not be perfect live, but you’ll be close. For recording (I use a click to stay perfect) I’ll dial in the delay time to the tempo.
As long as the song list feature doesn't allow for specifying tempo values per song this is what I opted for, works good enough for me, Howbeit, sometimes I forget and "reality calls my name"..

In my case, our drummer uses a metronome to set the tempo for each song. Even on a song where guitar starts alone, he checks his metronome and then he'll count off four beats (or whatever's appropriate) quietly before I start. (He could use a click but he doesn't want it in his ear. He's the only one of use using in-ears.) It would be nice for me to be able to start a song without having to wait for the drummer. It just now dawned on me that I can set and save the tempo for each song, and I could simply use the tap tempo light on my FC unit to give me the tempo before I start the song.

Exactly the reason why I use the preset-per-song approach, so that I can set tempo per preset/song and see the correct tempo to start the song.

As long as the song list feature doesn't allow for specifying tempo values per song this is what I opted for, works good enough for me, Howbeit, sometimes I forget and "reality calls my name"..
That’s a different story, and yes you’ll know right away when it’s not in sync

Are we still limited to setting tempo per preset...and then set presets per song? I use the same preset for most all songs...I only need the tempo to change...so I duplicate presets only to adjust tempos. Would be great if the tempo could be adjusted to 'global' and give us the ability to modify it per song.

Back
Top Bottom