Scenes, real amps and pedals with the Axe-Fx II and MFC101

skracus

Inspired
Curious if/how the Scenes and the MFC101 could be utilized with the Axe-Fx II, a real amp and pedals. For example I have a Boogie MkV controlled by an RJM RG-16 with some pedals in front of the amp (in the RG-16 loops) and the Axe-Fx II in the loop of the amp. I'd like to take advantage of scenes if at all possible so that I'm not sending amp channel changes if they're not needed and to eliminate drop outs. Any thoughts on the best way to approach this? Thanks for any thoughts!

I should note that I will require sending amp channel changes but only on the scenes that require it. The rest of the Axe-Fx effects will need to work as normal with scenes. Just looking to send additional midi IA info when switching scenes. Anybody? :D

I've also stumbled on this, is it this possible?
Real Amp switching and scenes, my amp has midi interface and can switch channels with pcm

Last edited:
Old thread back to life. How would I go about changing the amp channels on my mesa mark using a GCX switcher via scenes? Currently I can change the amp channels via the MFC>Axe FX> GCX when switching presets but not understanding how to change the amp channels via scenes. Any input would be appreciated.

Curious if/how the Scenes and the MFC101 could be utilized with the Axe-Fx II, a real amp and pedals. For example I have a Boogie MkV controlled by an RJM RG-16 with some pedals in front of the amp (in the RG-16 loops) and the Axe-Fx II in the loop of the amp. I'd like to take advantage of scenes if at all possible so that I'm not sending amp channel changes if they're not needed and to eliminate drop outs. Any thoughts on the best way to approach this? Thanks for any thoughts!

The Axe-Fx won't send MIDI commands out when you change scenes. The MFC-101 can send out MIDI commands when a switch is pressed.

The trick for you would be to either
  • Set up MFC-101 Presets to send the MIDI commands (which won't work for scene changes within a single preset), or
  • Set up Switches on the MFC-101 as "General Use" switches and program them to send BOTH the scene changes AND the other MIDI commands
Of course, there's more than one way to skin a cat. This scheme described above and depicted below would cause the SCENE INCR/DECR commands to be sent to the Axe-Fx and the "Other Equipment" commands to be sent to the other equipment each time you press the switch (9 and 10 on the screenshot). It's not exactly the Axe-Fx sending a MIDI command based on the scene number you're in. Hopefully there's enough info here for you to figure out how you want to do this.
General Use IA Switches.jpg

P.S. I haven't actually tried this :) but I'm pretty sure it'll work. I use the PRESETS feature for sending extra MIDI commands, rather than the Switch method.

Note: All of this can be done directly with the MFC-101 - the editor is not required to accomplish this. It's just easier.

Then why would it not be possible for the axe fx to send a PC message to a GCX unit? I thought I had read that the FX8 could also use a separate switch, i.e. Mini Amp Gizmo, to switch amp channels. I am able to use the CC's to change the amp channels via GCX, MFC and AXE FX but only by changing the presets. I would really like to take advantage of scenes with my current setup if at all possible. Any further clarification would be appreciated. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, hahaha and it hurts!

The FX8 has been designed specifically to work in conjunction with an amp.
RELAY blocks and Scenes can send commands to the relay outputs at the rear.
There are no relay outputs on the Axe-Fx. So there's no support to control either.

However, the MFC-101 can be programmed to send a MIDI CC to change a scene AND send additional MIDI data, for ex. to a GCX.

However, the MFC-101 can be programmed to send a MIDI CC to change a scene AND send additional MIDI data, for ex. to a GCX.[/QUOTE]

Ya OK, well that's what I need to figure out then. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom