Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) by Big & Rich (Axe FX Ultra)

browlett

Experienced
OK. I am NOT a country music guy. But, I thought that it would be fun to take a stab at this one. ("Save a Horse - Ride a Cowboy" by Big & Rich)

I had fun with this one today. Please forgive the cheesy banjo and violin sounds, which I had to perform on a keyboard. The mix could also be vastly improved and I don't like the drum sound. Oh, and I am NOT a country music singer by any stretch. Having said that, I had a good time with it. The guitar solos were improvised in 1 take. I suppose that they could have been more melodic. Anyway, the guitars were a Fender telecaster through my Axe FX Ultra (Matchless Chieftain amp sim through a Mesa Recto cabinet IR) - recorded direct (FRFR). Actually, the Matchless sim was the rhythm guitars. The solos used the Traiwreck sim.

I felt like sharing. So, here it is...

Last edited:
That's great. I've been playing that one in different bands for years now... still get the crowd going.

Sounds great!

Great job.

I don't know the tune but I'm guessing that a bit less shred in the solo might have been more "country".

I hope that you put some more up! Much better hearing sounds in the context of songs.

Thanks, jamie.

The song is pretty close to what i did. My solo is a bit more "Shred". Well, actually - the first half of the solo is pretty close. But, the second half of my solo (where I switch to the neck pickup) replaces what is normally a very country sounding fiddle / violin solo. As far as country songs go, this one is (originally) very hard rock feeling. I just took it there a little further with my solo.

Nice job! I'm not a big country guy either but lately I've been interested in the new players like Brad Paisley. Even some bluegrass (especially the remakes of modern songs) are pretty cool. Sounds good, even the "cheesy banjo" parts. Was that rhythm sound all matchless or did u use any drive block?

Btw, don't forget Canada... LOTS of cowboys in the prairies...

Back
Top Bottom