Saturation Switch does nothing on Authentic for most amps? Not G3 Yet Maybe?

nznat

Experienced
The Saturation Switch on many of the amps does nothing when switched to Authentic Mode, is this because those amps have not had the G3 treatment yet?

Authentic will do nothing on amps such as Plexi's etc that don't have a sat circuit , use ideal !

Sat switch works on all amps. However if an amp is getting its distortion from the power amp, i.e. Plexis, etc., then the affect may not be noticeable since the power amp distortion will mask any distortion occurring prior.

Sat switches are typically employed on amps with master volumes for just this reason.

So if I turn down the master on a plexi, the sat switch should work - right?

It always works. If you turn down the MV its affects may be more noticeable. Be aware that a Plexi has low preamp gain and you may need to set Sat Drive quite high to get any saturation.

The classic "Arredondo mod" involves adding a "saturation circuit" and a master volume as the sat circuit's affects are masked if the power amp is heavily distorted.

ah ha, that makes perfect sense, thanks for the info.

great job on Quantum, lovin it very much so

BOOM! I love the knowledge bombs we get from Cliff! It's funny how now that tube amps aren't my main source of tone I have learned so much more about tube amps.

Yes i remember this about the saturation now, i recently owned a VooDoo amps Jose Arredondo 1958HW Marshall with three extra gain stages added and bright switches. It was simply incredible and far too loud for what i needed, but guess what, i sold it to fund my shiny new Axe FX 2 XL+ and CLR Wedge, hehe, and im VERY HAPPY! :))

Back
Top Bottom