Rush R40 Show Austin

RossE

Inspired
Just got home from the show. Killer all the way round - performance, production, pyrotechnics and video.
Alex's tone was great except for his Tele during Lakeside Park was thin and harsh and the acoustic at the start of Xanadu was barely heard.
No idea what role the Axe II played if any, but his tone on all his various Les Paul's and 335 (I think) was great. Jacob's Ladder and
Xanadu were stand outs. All three of them had great performances. Geddi did have some off key vocal bits here and there, but I suspect
he couldn't hear himself in those instances.

I took my 14 year old daughter and 17 year old son. They were both blown away by the musicianship. My son liked the tunes from the RUSH
album best. He got my attention several times after Alex had just ripped out a big solo smiling and nodding his head. My daughter couldn't believe
they were able memorize and perform 26 songs in one concert with all the complex parts. I said, now do you understand why I have no appreciation
for the music you guys listen to. She said, yeah it is pretty simple and uninteresting isn't it. Mission accomplished!!!

I couldn't help but feel I was witnessing some special history coming to a close. I can't imagine them putting together another tour covering
most of their catalog like this again......3, 5 or 7 years down the road. Maybe I'm wrong.

Being a fairly old dude myself, I was proud of them and for them. Well done boys!!! If you get a chance to go see the show....go. You won't regret it.

One thing I forgot to mention. They truly looked like they were having a good time. At one point, Alex and Geddi hopped up on the front corners of Neil's drum riser....all three of them looking at each other and a big ole smile fixed on Neil's usually 'stone man face'. You don't hear that talked about much, but always makes the show so much better to me when the band looks like they're having fun.

Good reminder for me to smile a lot when I'm playing my small time gigs.

the thought of those guy's retiring....I get misty.

I guess I'm selfish.

Yep....there were several points in the concert when I got a lump in my throat and the eyes tried to water up. I guess it twas a combination of feeling like I was seeing history come to a close and just thinking about how much time and effort they must have put in to deliver such a well oiled and tight performance. Us older guys remember going to concerts and whether drugs or booze induced the band would be sloppy and out of it...... None of that here, it was polished and unbelievably tight .....just a privilege to witness it.

I guess I need to get over it and shut up now......

Back
Top Bottom