running fr and a regular guitar cab

wildolympic

Inspired
Is anyone doing this, or (is it even possible) to run channel one out to a fr and channel 2 to say a 1-12 guitar cab using a power amp like a matrix 1000 thanks

Is anyone doing this, or (is it even possible) to run channel one out to a fr and channel 2 to say a 1-12 guitar cab using a power amp like a matrix 1000 thanks

I just started doing this recently and am really liking the results. I have a Power Amp -> 2x12 Cab in OUT 1 and an Alto TS112A in OUT 2.
Gives me the "amp in the room" feel which I really like and also gives me the chance to play with different IR's and sounds with the TS112A.
When I go jam, I will be using the same type of setup but using the TS112A as a wedge pointed towards me more as a personal monitor.

To achieve this, you need to make sure that you place an FX block before the CAB block in your presets.

Yesterday I got a chance to test a Matrix CFR monitor along with my Hughes&Kettner CC30A cab. I was running them through my GT1000fx and it sounded like pure heaven to me. The best sounding guitar rig I've ever played with. Now I'm experiencing some major GAS.

I just started doing this recently and am really liking the results. I have a Power Amp -> 2x12 Cab in OUT 1 and an Alto TS112A in OUT 2.
Gives me the "amp in the room" feel which I really like and also gives me the chance to play with different IR's and sounds with the TS112A.
When I go jam, I will be using the same type of setup but using the TS112A as a wedge pointed towards me more as a personal monitor.

To achieve this, you need to make sure that you place an FX block before the CAB block in your presets.

Could you do a screenshot of your particular setup? I'm curious about my 1x12 wedge on one channel of my Matrix GT1000FX and something like a Matrix NL12 on the other channel. Same power amp but cab sims on for one side, and off for the other.

Factory preset 381 OUT1->FOH OUT2->CAB, is setup for, well FOH via Out 1 with Cab simulation and power amp -> guitar cab without cab simulation via Out 2 :)

The interesting thing to me about this preset is it uses a single line in the layout grid and connects the return of the FX Loop block to the CAB block.

I would not have thought to setup the FX Loop like that.

AxeFxIIFXLoop_zps59cc86ab.jpg

Last edited:
To me, this is the best set up around....

After spending almost a year and a half almost exclusively with FRFR only (2 RCF's), I dusted off my standard cabs (Bogner 2x12, and 2 oversized 1x12's), I've been mixing and matching speakers (V30's, Jensen C12N, Scumback M & H 75's, and my new addition, a Jensen Blackbird Alnico).... I've gotta say, my real cabs just kick ass!!

Some general thoughts...

I think the AXE modeling has improved a lot over the last couple years, AND, I've gotten better at understanding all the nuances of the unit (especially EQ), but I'm no where near "advanced". I'm using a Matrix GT1000FX to power my cabs.

I like the keep the FRFR close to the vest b/c this is ultimately how the audience hears me, so I like to A/B my cabs with my FRFR to keep the tones pretty close.

But when I'm sitting in my music room, just jamming or messing with different tones, the cabs win out every time. There's just a feel and immediacy with real cabs that I can't get with FRFR. Also, feedback is so much easier to coax from the real cabs...

Back to FRFR, with the Ownhammer IR's (and even the stock ones), with the AXE improvements, FRFR sounds really really good...and probably even better than my cabs, but the liveliness and responsiveness with real cabs outweighs the sound of the FRFR.

Bottom line, you shouldn't simply choose 1 over the other.... go with BOTH.... the best of both worlds.... AND, run them both at the same time for total sonic bliss....

Of course, YMMV, and IMHO! :D

Reactions: sam
"Bottom line, you shouldn't simply choose 1 over the other.... go with BOTH.... the best of both worlds.... AND, run them both at the same time for total sonic bliss...."
I totally agree , this is what I've been doing lately and I am really enjoying it. W/D/W sounds freaking amazing.

Reactions: sam
Back
Top Bottom