Routing a mic with FM3

Chris814

Sure this has, likely, been covered before here in the forum but I'm having trouble finding it:

Via FM3/USB, I'd like to record my voice (mic w/ ext. preamp) on one channel along with stereo guitar sound for some video lessons I'm creating. Question: which analog input (L-IN2 ?) for the mic, and, how to set the routing within the FM3 for this scenario?

Thank you, Chris

You have a choice: left In 2 or right In 2.

Route it so the mic signal makes it to the Out block at the end of your signal chain.

Be sure to use a mic that doesn’t require phantom power, because there will be none.

You have a choice: left In 2 or right In 2.

Route it so the mic signal makes it to the Out block at the end of your signal chain.

Be sure to use a mic that doesn’t require phantom power, because there will be none.
Great, thank you. It's the "Out Block at the end of your signal chain" that's confusing, sorry, I can do this with FM3 Edit software or have to do it on the FM3 itself?

Get one of these. It'll turn your mic level to line level. You can use any dynamic mic. Sm57, sm58, etc

Shure A85F Line Matching Transformer - Low Z Female XLR to High Z 1/4-Inch Phone Plug connects a Balanced Low Impedance Microphone Output to an Unbalanced High Impedance Input https://a.co/d/f1Ugrq1

Great, thank you. It's the "Out Block at the end of your signal chain" that's confusing, sorry, I can do this with FM3 Edit software or have to do it on the FM3 itself?
You can do it with either the front panel or with FM3-Edit. Your choice.

In every preset, there's an Out block at the end of the signal chain. If there weren't, no sound would come out. :)

Get one of these. It'll turn your mic level to line level. You can use any dynamic mic. Sm57, sm58, etc

Shure A85F Line Matching Transformer - Low Z Female XLR to High Z 1/4-Inch Phone Plug connects a Balanced Low Impedance Microphone Output to an Unbalanced High Impedance Input https://a.co/d/f1Ugrq1
You can use one of those, but it's not necessary to get sound out of the mic.

I found it gave a cleaner boost than turning up blocks. YMMV
Go with what works, for sure. Not at my gear at the moment, but IIRC, there's 20 dB of clean boost available in the Input block.

Last edited:
Sure this has, likely, been covered before here in the forum but I'm having trouble finding it:

Via FM3/USB, I'd like to record my voice (mic w/ ext. preamp) on one channel along with stereo guitar sound for some video lessons I'm creating. Question: which analog input (L-IN2 ?) for the mic, and, how to set the routing within the FM3 for this scenario?

Thank you, Chris

Since you're using an external preamp, the cleanliness of the boost in the FM3 isn't really an issue, so the FM3 should work fine. But the preamp is pretty darn good in the FM3 if you want to do without the external mic pre. If you need phantom power, Rolls makes a phantom power adapter. As Rex mentioned, all you need to do in the grid is connect an input to an output.

Great, thank you, I'm using this headset Audio Technica BPHS1 (phones/dynamic mic) doesn't need phantom power so what you're suggesting may be a simplified way to work.

Be sure to set your I/O settings on Input 2 to Left only or Right only.

From the Wiki:
IMPORTANT: do not select SUM L+R or STEREO when using only the Left input. This may introduce noise (from the disconnected Right input) and attenuates the signal level (6 dB)

You can do it with either the front panel or with FM3-Edit. Your choice.

In every preset, there's an Out block at the end of the signal chain. If there weren't, no sound would come out. :)
Rex,

Cool, thanks again, I am familiar with seeing the Out Block on each preset BUT is there a global audio setting to route the mic or is it per preset only?

Be sure to set your I/O settings on Input 2 to Left only or Right only.

From the Wiki:
IMPORTANT: do not select SUM L+R or STEREO when using only the Left input. This may introduce noise (from the disconnected Right input) and attenuates the signal level (6 dB)
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom