Rotary Speaker increases volume

digitald00m

New to Fractal! Used a ton of amps and even played with Guitar Rig/etc but found the software amps just didn't cut it in terms of the high gain sounds. Wasn't sure if there was any software that could handle high gain, but feeling like now after this patch that it can!

Tried posting this in preset exchange but didn't get any responses.

Experimented on this one and wanted a good chunky distortion tone that could chug. So far wasn't finding anything that really had the chug I was looking for. I know there are preset packs out there but wanted to understand how to do it myself given the immense power of this unit. I read up on some of the amps people like James Hetfield and Adam Jones were using where they blended two amps for a heavy sound. Decided to try the FAS Modern III and the Dizzy V4 Silver 4. I adjusted the output EQ of the FAS Modern III to have more of a low end and adjusted the other amp to have a slight bump on the high end. I really liked that EQ combination when blending these amps. It's crazy how far you can go with these in terms of sound design! I just got this FM9 less than a month ago and I have to work really hard to pull myself away from trying to keep creating sounds. I also threw a gate in there so a palm mute should more easily quiet the sound. Not sure if any of the settings on this are optimal.

For the effects, I just picked certain ones that I felt I could riff on and get a certain feel from. Everything should also be close to 0db with the exception of Scene 4 (DelayFX), for that one I added a Rotary Speaker simulator which I really liked the sound of but unfortunately it did bump up the volume pretty high. Haven't figured out yet how to get that sound without that volume boost occurring.

Does anyone know why the Rotary Speaker is increasing the volume? To get around this I know I can copy the amp settings to another channel and try to compensate by turning down volume so it more matches the output volume the scene with Rotary Speaker disabled.

Curious what you all think and if you have fun playing with it.

Attachments

• Heavy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
The Rotary block's Bypass Mode is set to Mute FX Out. I'd set it to Thru.

Beyond that, rather than turn off the inputs to Amp 1 for "Clean" scenes, I'd add a mixer immediately after the parallel paths join and let the mixer switch off the signal from row 3.

PS - There's a phasing issue with the parallel paths. The sound isn't cohesive like I'd expect but I haven't figured out what's causing it.

Last edited:
Switch to the factory preset "Boutique Battle", Scene 1 and convert the Delay block to a shunt. Dual amps in parallel should sound like that.

I think the Gate blocks in your preset are causing problems because turning them into shunts seems to help tighten up the sound.

The Rotary block's Bypass Mode is set to Mute FX Out. I'd set it to Thru.

Beyond that, rather than turn off the inputs to Amp 1 for "Clean" scenes, I'd add a mixer immediately after the parallel paths join and let the mixer switch off the signal from row 3.

PS - There's a phasing issue with the parallel paths. The sound isn't cohesive like I'd expect but I haven't figured out what's causing it.
What is causing the Phasing? I did hear it and tried to kill it using the out EQ's so that the frequencies did not collide.

I think phasing issues could be caused by multiple parallel paths where more than one path is letting dry signal through, including possibly a shunt. The reason is slightly different latency through the different blocks could cause some comb filtering. If you're using parallel paths, try using only one shunt to providing dry through. All others should be set to 100% wet with the block level being used to control the effect.

Does anyone know why the Rotary Speaker is increasing the volume? To get around this I know I can copy the amp settings to another channel and try to compensate by turning down volume so it more matches the output volume the scene with Rotary Speaker disabled.
You're running two high-gain amps, and you've dimed the gain on both amps. The resulting distortion adds a lot of high end.

On top of that, you've set the input EQ on both amps to cut out a lot of low end. On one of the amps, you have Low Cut dialed all the way up to 540 Hz! The low end of your amp tone is just missing.

The Rotary block is a full-spectrum thing, meaning it also has low-end frequencies. It fills in the portion of the spectrum that the Amp blocks have abandoned, so it sounds louder.

I wonder if there is a good Youtube out there on how to get a good Tool like sound with two amps. I do want it to be high gain, just don't want the phasing.

That seemed to decrease the intensity of the effect.
Haven't looked at the preset but did you put it in a parallel row?
If you did it that's what's causing the volume boost, put it in series instead and use the mix knob to set the desired amount of effect

Haven't looked at the preset but did you put it in a parallel row?
If you did it that's what's causing the volume boost, put it in series instead and use the mix knob to set the desired amount of effect
The original preset was parallel for the Amp, Gate and Cab blocks, then a single path through the Rotary, Reverb and Out block.

Back
Top Bottom