Ross Bolton was a funk god!

Ross was my Funk and Rhythm guitar class teacher when I attended GIT at Musicians Institute in 92. Great teacher, big heart, lots of patience and knew the ins and outs of syncopated sixteenth notes. I beleive his books are still available as well and are a fantastic resource for his methods. Plus the proceeds go to his family :)

Yup took a few funk classes and open counseling with Ross at MI when i was there... awesome player and great guy RIP.

I had the supreme pleasure of studying with him at MI back in 2001 or so. Wonderful teacher, killer player and a beautiful human being. You want to talk about a guy who had PERFECT time, that was the guy. And the dude could swing his ass off. He doesn't get enough credit for his lead work, but it was Hendrix meets Pat Martino. Amazing stuff.

The one class I remember , he had someone turn on a metronome at 90 bpm or so and proceeded to play an E9 funk groove and he asked the student to walk out of the classroom with the metronome and circle the floor (3rd floor Main MI building) and walk back in. The student came back in about a minute or so later and Ross was still in time with the metronome...

His funk class has basically paid my rent for years and I still use a lot of the concepts I learned in that class to this day.

RIP Ross

Last edited:
I had never heard of him- never studied with anyone. But those videos really do show him as you guys say. Incredible teacher and player. You can also really tell that he was a genuinely nice guy.

It is sad...................Sorry for his family and you guys that knew him..........

Bought his course online a few years back. Need to dig around and find it. Good to see he is remembered in such a great way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom