ROOM Level in Cab Block!

boardwlk17

Power User
How come nobody told me through the headphones and maybe frfr if you haven't turned up the room level tome it makes a big difference it like surrounds your head with fatness. To me it gets it closer to a guitar cab feeling.

Try fiddling with room size and mic spacing! Try Room level and Room size and Mic spacing, all three at 11 oclock-ish. Fiddle then with the Mic spacing! Really cool with headphones!

I am messing around with room at 11, and (what is called, proximity? The last parameter on the first page of the cab block) I max that one out, or both if stereo. After, doing that, I tweak my amp's tone around that. Sounds good, yo.

How come nobody told me through the headphones and maybe frfr if you haven't turned up the room level tome it makes a big difference it like surrounds your head with fatness. To me it gets it closer to a guitar cab feeling.

We had a forum users meeting and specifically didn't invite you. It was suggested that we purposely omit that info from you to see if you would find it for yourself!

Well done! You passed. Impressive! :eagerness:

I told you. I told you at least 4 separate times, but you don't listen to me. You're always playing that damn AxeFXII with your headphones on at ridiculous volumes. :)

Yes, it's one of my favorite parameters ever, especially because I play through headphones all the time. I describe it as making them melt away a bit. It just makes everything sound more open. Still not sure how it translates in the mix, but I don't give a crap, I like it.

Well, I went to the batmobile, and this is how I feel about it.

I like the effect in small doses. Like room size at 1.79, 33% mic spacing, and about 7-10% room level. It's almost imperceptible, but it adds a little depth to the guitars. I'm not totally sold on it for mixing purposes, but it does sound nice on it's own. I generally add just a smidge of guitars (and I mean smidge) to the room reverb I use to help everything gel, so it might be redundant to include it into my guitar recording - causing clash with my mix sound. Who knows though. Any input?

Welcome to 2011 :)

One of my fav parameters btw... BUT .... not for recording I'd suggest - keep your signal dry and add that sort of stuff in the mix.

Last edited:
Throwing an enhancer at the end of the chain sounds pretty good through headphones too and then you can just bypass it when not using the headphones.

yep noticed this too, great for headphones not for the pa speakers in a non treated room, already gets too much natural reverb.

This control is all about going direct where you create your own room environment. Sure you can go dry and add shit (room IRs, room ambience reverb, etc...) when mixing, it's your choice.

There's something to be said about your complete tone and room ambience all coming direct out of the AXE.

Last edited:
When I was using IEMs with the Ultra, I didn't like the dry guitar sound stuck in the middle of my head.
So I used the following trick:
Let's say you're on line 1
Add a chorus in parallel on line two, only mono and not a lot of depth and rate needed, perhaps a small bit of delay
add a mixer after that
Pan 1 100% left, 2 100% right
When engaging the chorus, you get a hard stereo separation and suddenly you hear the guitar "outside your head".
If that makes any sense.
But with the room parameter, I don't need that anymore :encouragement:
The fun part is, this works when summing to mono, the chorus trick didn't.
Another one that adds a lot of depth is the delay parameter in the cab.
Use a stereo cab, pan them 100% left and right and play with the delay.

beware if you use a multiband compressor after the cab block though... it boosts the room reverb which is not suitable

Back
Top Bottom