Rocktron Velocity 120/150 vs. Velocity 300 (new version) - definition control

i want to buy a velocity 300 and somebody offered me the 120 version instead (i could also get the 150) .... as the 300 version has an additional "definition" control for each channel, my question is now if its worth to spend more money for this feature (we are talking halfprice of a new velocity 300)

Rocktron isn't completely clear about what the Definition control does, but from what they do say, I think it's a presence control. Your Axe-FX already has one of those. It's unlikely that the Definition control is anything more than a marketing term for existing technology.

The definition and reactance control definitly work. It is not that easy to do the similar thing with the axe, but you can get close. I use definition and reactance at 12:00 o'clock (should be flat at this position) to be flexible when switching from cab to FRFR. It is worth the money if you just use guitar cabs. Furthermore you have a fast option to tune the sound if you are running into a different cab in a different room.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

I'll leave it to you to determine whether it's worth it to you. I'm biased — since I bought my Axe-FX, I'm no longer in the market for things I can duplicate or get close to on my Axe. Though I admit that PhillAnselmo has a point about a fast tweak to accommodate different guitar cabs, if that's what you're using. I'm not sure I'd find it all that usefull in a FRFR situation.

I think it is worth the money if you intend to use the feature. As I already said, I'm not really using this feature and if I would be in the position of buying an amp again, I would go for the matrix.
So you have to decide whether you need the definition control.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

I got a brand new V300 for $155 plus free shipping from Musician's Friend. It was listed in the "used" section as having one of the channels out. I contacted Rocktron and they sent me a schematic so I figured I would buy the amp and fix it myself. Turns out there was nothing wrong with it. Evidently the owner tried to run it in stereo while the amp was setup for bridged operation. I flipped the switch the stereo mode and the amp worked fine.

FYI, Both knobs at 12 noon does not equal flat response. The Rocktron manual states that the Definition control set at zero is flat. I'm not sure where the Reactance control should be set to equal flat. Both are very effective controls. I keep my Reactance control at about 3 and my Definition control set at 2.

You are probably right. I wrote an email to technical support and controls at noon is what they told me to get a flat respone. I don't know the right answer, but for me the noon position seems to be okay. Has anyone compared the v 300 with another solid state amp and tell what the most neutral settings are?

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Back
Top Bottom