RIP Robbie Robertson

Rocket Brother

Power User
A long time hero of mine, Robbie Robertson of the legendary The Band died wednesday at the age of 80 years after a long illness.

The Bands farewell album and concert movie "The Last Waltz" have been essential to the way I listen to and think about music.
Robbie's playing on the Last Waltz was just perfect, so musical and always serving the songs. His interplay with Eric Clapton on that album is a great example of this.
Robbies solo album Storyville from 1991 is also a standout album for me.

Thanks for all the great music - RIP Robbie Robertson

A long time hero of mine, Robbie Robertson of the legendary The Band died wednesday at the age of 80 years after a long illness.

The Bands farewell album and concert movie "The Last Waltz" have been essential to the way I listen to and think about music.
Robbie's playing on the Last Waltz was just perfect, so musical and always serving the songs. His interplay with Eric Clapton on that album is a great example of this.
Robbies solo album Storyville from 1991 is also a standout album for me.

Thanks for all the great music - RIP Robbie Robertson
Dang, so sorry to hear, RIP Robbie!

I was at The Last Waltz, long ago...

These are all starting to hurt more and more. The Band was a huge part of my life -- easily one of my dad's favorite bands so it was omni-present in our house. We still watch The Last Waltz every thanksgiving in our home every year.

RIP Robbie.

I don't care what anyone says "The Band" was the original jam band.

Everyone (including Wikipedia) credits The Dead or the Allman Bros (and a few other recent devotees), but all those bands were absolutely influenced/inspired by The Band. If they said they were not then they lied. All you have to do is listen to the music.

Enjoy the jams in the great beyond Robbie! Jerry (and friends), Duane, Greg, and you will make beautiful music together. Looking forward to hearing it! Don't be afraid to send some inspiration down to this plane of existence. Hopefully we will be capable of receiving it!

Last edited:
So weird and so sad. It seems like I’m no longer talking about this person or that and a few days later they have passed. It’s starting to get disturbing. I was just going over with someone the members of The Band and saying Robbie seems to be still kicking and Garth. I had brought The Band up because of their rendition of Mother with Sinead O’Conner at the Berlin The Wall show.

RIP
Robbie Robertson

Take a listen to The Last Waltz, specifically cuts like Caravan. Robbie was and is my inspiration for guitar. He could do more in 6 or 7 notes than most shredders do in a whole song. His playing complemented the song. Everything he did was to serve the whole song, and not to be a guitar god. I saw The Band lots of time, also at Watkins Glen Summer Jam (not the best show). Sad so many greats are passing. RIP

Back
Top Bottom