request for more boutique overdrive/distortion pedals

jb70

Experienced
i had requested some od/distortion pedals in the wrong post so i thought i'd make a new request for them in a post of their own. this would be great for those of us that are using the axe fx for effects in front of a guitar amp

the bb preamp is very hip- cliff did a great job with that one.

here are a few others that would be cool:

ocd (version 4)
barber small fry and direct drive
timmy
m.i. audio crunch box
lovepedal eternity
klon
jetter gain stage green and gain stage purple
xotic ac
zen drive

jb70 said:
i had requested some od/distortion pedals in the wrong post so i thought i'd make a new request for them in a post of their own. this would be great for those of us that are using the axe fx for effects in front of a guitar amp

the bb preamp is very hip- cliff did a great job with that one.

here are a few others that would be cool:

ocd (version 4)
barber small fry and direct drive
timmy
m.i. audio crunch box
lovepedal eternity
klon
jetter gain stage green and gain stage purpd
xotic ac
zen drive

The barber direct drive is my favorite dirt pedal and I have suggested it a few times on this forum. I hope some day cliff hooks us up and I would be happy to send him my pedal if he wishes to model it (hint hint). I know he constantly updates the unit to make it better and I'm grateful but more choises of pedals would be great!

Big fan of the AC Booster and the Zen Drive.

Love the BB Preamp that Cliff added recently and happy for a chance to get any new drive pedal sims, but the AC Booster has a more musical and cleaner, open (transparent) sound, less "Marshally" to my ears anyway...

I picked up a Providence pedal when I was in Tokyo about 6 months ago, which is OK too. Apparently Robben Ford uses one. The AC Booster is my go to pedal if I'm not using my Axe FX.

Actually, that was the last pedal I've bought, and hopefully the last! ;) ;) Now I will miss my pedal hunting expeditions in all the guitars shops over there... :(

Cheers

Most of the stuff mentioned by the OP can be done already and I'm going out on a limb here assuming that the OP only owns a few of them if any. Otherwise, stuff like the Tim/Timmy, Klon etc. can be dialed in pretty close and he'd done it by now.

I still run tons of Fuzz pedals in front of my Axe, but that's a bit harder to nail since they can have a mind of their own. Overdrive stuff is easier. A friend of mine brought over his silverscrew MIJ OD-1 the other day and I had it super close within half an hour of tweaking. Most of the overdrives are based on the same chips and really only vary in EQ response and maybe gain stageing...nothing fancy really.

If Cliff learned something new while moddeling the BB, I'd definitely would like to hear some new models as well though...

p.s. some of the pedals mentioned above are also intended to make your clean amp sound more like something else. Anyone ever heard the term 'Marshall' in a box ? Well...if you want that tone, just dial up a Marshall sim. You're not limited to one amp sound ;)

VegaBaby said:
Most of the stuff mentioned by the OP can be done already and I'm going out on a limb here assuming that the OP only owns a few of them if any.

you know what they say about people that assume. i own or have owned almost all of the pedals in my original post

p.s. some of the pedals mentioned above are also intended to make your clean amp sound more like something else. Anyone ever heard the term 'Marshall' in a box ? Well...if you want that tone, just dial up a Marshall sim. You're not limited to one amp sound ;)

well, if you read my original post you would see that i'm running the axe in front of my port city amps for effects only

An od in front of an amp does something to the sound, that no amp does by itself... That´s why i use it, both on std amps and Axe-Fx.

Majik Box Rocket Fuel, was made to boost up Marshall amps(since that´s what Doug Aldrich use) I´m going to buy this during the summer. Love stomps:) I´m gonna get me a Suhr Badger, for small gigs/practice/fun. Then i need/want some more stomps... Moahahahaha... I startet to work in a musicshop, so i get a much better price now :)

jb70 said:
i'm running the axe in front of my port city amps for effects only

A lot of the amp models can be tricked out into emulating some of the OD pedals. Turn off the poweramp modeling and the JCM800 in front of an amp could come close to the Crunchbox, for example. Or the HAD amp a Zendrize. Might take a bit more effort then if the specific OD model was in the box, but you should be able to get very, very close.

it sounds much better without the amp sims when you're running into the front of an amp

mwc2112 said:
A lot of the amp models can be tricked out into emulating some of the OD pedals. Turn off the poweramp modeling and the JCM800 in front of an amp could come close to the Crunchbox, for example. Or the HAD amp a Zendrize. Might take a bit more effort then if the specific OD model was in the box, but you should be able to get very, very close.
Have you got any settings that work with the HAD to emulate a Zendrive? I spent some time with it a while back and never seemed to get close to my Zendrive. I have managed to get close to a couple of Zendrive settings using OD.

fuzz list, add it to the drives (it was in the poll thread).

Burn's Buzz-around for that classic Fripp sound (or a Tanabe tv SUNKUDO FUZZ)

Fuzz factory for that 'velcro" thing

a model for that "Spirit in the Sky" sound (which was a fuzz and speaker housed in a guitar I think).

Creepy Fingers creepy face.

I'm kinda fuzzy on the others...........

Back
Top Bottom