Replicating the BBE Sonic Maximizer - A How To

Please don't take this personally, but I don't believe that your test can possibly give any meaningful result. Even if someone couldn't tell the difference (it's worth noting that the two people who listened thought they heard a difference), this result could not be extended to a universal conclusion.

The effect of the BBE is largely dependent on the playback system, the input level, and the source material. A properly recorded example in an appropriate format would exhibit different behavior depending on the speakers used. Barcus Berry states that their design is based on an average of the speakers they measured. I believe them. The BBE's effect ranges from impressive, to hardly noticeable, to destructive, depending on what speakers I've used with it. This is primarily due to the group delay, with the Process and Contour knobs set basically flat. This is without even considering the fact that the highs can be modulated up to 10 db with respect to the lows/mids when the Process is at maximum (at least with the 802). 10 db is a shitload of sidechain modulation, and clearly audible.

Second, these files are highly compressed and stream at 160 kbs. Whatever time domain processing was performed by the BBE is going to be utterly destroyed by the encoding/decoding algorithms. Even a "high quality" mp3 exhibits massive phase distortion, to the point of audibly smearing transients. The only hope of hearing what the BBE is doing is to play high quality files into the unit and hear them live. A good linear format with zero or linear phase would minimize this problem when recording a signal after processing, but even a high-quality lossless format still could not prove anything meaningful in terms of a global generalization.

Did you or did you not say you could cite any number of classic rock recordings on your "old pair of Electro-Voice S-40 speakers driven with a cheap power amp"? Well, go ahead. Name the recording. I'll create a set of samples at 96KHz, even though 96KHz would obviously be overkill since most people don't listen to music in DVD quality. If that's not sufficient to demonstrate the differences on your end then what you're basically saying is that the differences are so inaudible that you can only hear them in very, very limited use cases.

It's like marketing sunglasses that are claimed to offer superior tinting and polarization yielding far better clarity, yet the wearer must stand in a specific position with their head cocked at a specific angle at a specific time of day pursuant to their geographic location in order to notice. If you have to jump through a very stringent set of hoops to appreciate the differences, it stands to reason most people wouldn't notice them.

Last edited:
BBE settings of original post sound pretty spot on when AB’d against a real BBE, maybe it doesn’t do exactly what the BBE does, but sounds mighty mighty close and improves a lot of distortion presets.

Really diggin it, thanks.

I’m running it before the cab, which I do use high cut and low cut on the cab so the settings are very subtle, but very nice indeed.

Last edited:
I’m sure after the cab is great as well. Back in the dark ages when I had a real rack the real BBE was before the cab so that’s what I’m used to, though I do know folks in the studio who run after and into the board or like a recording plug in. It’s all about getting you personal sound!

While there are those who don't like the effect that the BBE Sonic Maximizer produces, I personally like it when it's used lightly. This post is for anyone who's interested in accurately reproducing the effect the BBE produces in the Axe FX. It's pretty simple, actually.

Regardless what the marketing literature says about it, the BBE Sonic Maximizer is nothing more than a set of adjustable EQ curves. You can prove this via EQ Matching. You'll find the EQ matched version is indistinguishable from the BBE processed track. After spending a bit of time analyzing EQ matches, performing multiple blind tests and creating EQ curves, I was able to accurately recreate the curve using a single PEQ block.

The Sonic Maximizer's controls consist of two knobs: Lo Contour, which controls the amount of low-end energy added by the unit, and Process, which controls the amount of high-end energy added by the unit. To replicate both controls we only need to use a couple of bands in the PEQ block:

For the 'Lo Contour' (bass) knob, enter the following values for each of the parameters in the first band on the first page of the PEQ block:

Freq 1
: 50.00 Hz

Q1: 0.248

Gain 1: 1.50 dB

Frequency 1 Type: Peaking

For the 'Process' (treble) control, enter the following values for each of the parameters in the second band on the first page of the PEQ block:

Freq 5
: 9000 Hz

Q5: 0.248

Gain 5: 1.50 dB

Frequency 5 Type: Peaking

In a nutshell, that's it. The gain parameter acts as the "knob" for each control and determines the level of the effect. A gain setting of 0.00 dB, for example, would unsurprisingly yield the equivalent of turning either knob on the device (or plugin) to zero. The gain values listed in the settings above (ie. 1.50 dB) would be the equivalent of turning either knob on the unit to "1".

Here are some other settings:

Boosting the Gain of Freq 1 (50.00 Hz) to 2.70 dB is equivalent to turning the 'Lo Contour' knob to "2".
Boosting the Gain of Freq 5 (9000 Hz) to 2.90 dB is equivalent to turning the 'Process' knob to "2".

Boosting the Gain of Freq 1 (50.00 Hz) to 4.60 dB is equivalent to turning the 'Lo Contour' knob to "3".
Boosting the Gain of Freq 5 (9000 Hz) to 4.60 dB is equivalent to turning the 'Process' knob to "3".

I never bothered trying to find the Gain equivalents for turning the knobs past "3" on the unit, however if you want or need more of the effect, just add more gain.
Seems like you have missed the point entirely.

"The BBE Sonic Maximizer is a 2-channel signal processor that will benefit any recording or sound reproduction system. ... These relationships define a sound's “sound”. When these complex relationships pass through a speaker, the proper order is lost. The higher frequencies are delayed."

Seems like you have missed the point entirely.

"The BBE Sonic Maximizer is a 2-channel signal processor that will benefit any recording or sound reproduction system. ... These relationships define a sound's “sound”. When these complex relationships pass through a speaker, the proper order is lost. The higher frequencies are delayed."
I haven't missed the point. I'm simply making the case that there's no audible difference between the result that BBE claims their product produces and an EQ match of it. I've repeatedly challenged anyone who disagrees with that claim to correctly identify a BBE Sonic Maximizer sample from an EQ match of it in a blind test, and I've never once had a single person take me up on it after hearing the clips.

I haven't missed the point. I'm simply making the case that there's no audible difference between the result that BBE claims their product produces and an EQ match of it. I've repeatedly challenged anyone who disagrees with that claim to correctly identify a BBE Sonic Maximizer sample from an EQ match of it in a blind test, and I've never once had a single person take me up on it after hearing the clips.
Id only do that in person. I believe very little online. Its mostly fake stuff. Even google now is not reliable when it comes to searching for something proper and real on the internet.

Once again, the BBE is a frequency alignment tool. Not just a bottom or top enhancer. It makes various frequency arrive earlier and others later.
Its more of a subtle thing. More in the area of influencing psychoacoustics.

I believe very little online. Its mostly fake stuff.

What's mostly fake? Be specific. Are you suggesting that blind audio tests on this forum, for example, are mostly fake? If so, where's the evidence? Honestly, it kind of sounds like you're making excuses. I have absolutely nothing to gain by falsifying samples. Zero. Zilch. For the record, in all of my years participating in audio tests online, not one person I'm aware of has been exposed as a fraud. If you can name a couple, I'm all ears.

Fact is, you can create your own blind test using ABX software. It's simple. Don't take my word for anything, try it yourself.

Once again, the BBE is a frequency alignment tool. Not just a bottom or top enhancer. It makes various frequency arrive earlier and others later.
Its more of a subtle thing. More in the area of influencing psychoacoustics.
I know what BBE Sound claims the Sonic Maximizer does. Obviously, it produces an audible effect. Read my last reply. I'm claiming there's no perceptible difference (subtle or otherwise) between the result that BBE claims their product produces and an EQ match of it. If you can hear a difference, great, but at least listen to samples before assuming I'm wrong.

Last edited:
What's mostly fake? Be specific. Are you suggesting that blind audio tests on this forum, for example, are mostly fake? If so, where's the evidence? Honestly, it kind of sounds like you're making excuses. I have absolutely nothing to gain by falsifying samples. Zero. Zilch. For the record, in all of my years participating in audio tests online, not one person I'm aware of has been exposed as a fraud. If you can name a couple, I'm all ears.

Fact is, you can create your own blind test using ABX software. It's simple. Don't take my word for anything, try it yourself.

I know what BBE Sound claims the Sonic Maximizer does. Obviously, it produces an audible effect. Read my last reply. I'm claiming there's no perceptible difference (subtle or otherwise) between the result that BBE claims their product produces and an EQ match of it. If you can hear a difference, great, but at least listen to samples before assuming I'm wrong.
Nobody is going to go drive to meet the person to have them re-verify their postings. Thats why nobodys been exposed. Because nobody cares. At the end of the day, everybody ends up trying out to A/B. Which I already verified in person. Like I said, its more Psychoacoustics than direct audibility. The BBE provide a more enhanced and beefed up effect due to frequency based alignment.
Some people such as myself can hear the shifts quite obviously.

Nobody is going to go drive to meet the person to have them re-verify their postings. Thats why nobodys been exposed. Because nobody cares.
You claimed "Its mostly fake stuff". So, if no one's been exposed, what are you basing that on? If you're going to make a claim, back it up.

The fact is, you don't have to meet anyone to verify samples. Why? Because audio tests can easily be reproduced and verified by anyone who has the same equipment/software. Lots of people provide DI's samples in order to allow others to do just that. Anyone can easily reproduce the results of my samples using a Sonic Maximizer and EQ matching software. The idea that you have to physically be in the presence of someone when they create samples for a test is bullshit.

The BBE provide a more enhanced and beefed up effect due to frequency based alignment.

First you claim it's "a subtle thing" and that "Its more Psychoacoustics than direct audibility", then you claim "it provides a more enhanced and beefed up effect" that "people such as myself can hear quite obviously". In other words, it's an obvious audible effect, which is what I've been saying.

Last edited:
Nobody is going to go drive to meet the person to have them re-verify their postings. Thats why nobodys been exposed. Because nobody cares. At the end of the day, everybody ends up trying out to A/B. Which I already verified in person. Like I said, its more Psychoacoustics than direct audibility. The BBE provide a more enhanced and beefed up effect due to frequency based alignment.
I call placebo on that. There is no way you can hear the group delays compared to the much bigger difference the EQ and exciter makes.

You're basically claiming that you can tell the difference of less than 1 ms at 200 Hz.

Last edited:
I used to use the BBE Stomp to get rid of that "cab sounding like a blanket is wrapped around it". Right now, I face the same issue with my wedge and this did the trick.

Anyone can claim anything. That's precisely why blind tests are useful; they reduce or eliminate bias. Some people claim to hear dither, jitter, digital aliasing and truncation distortion, for example, yet how many have actually demonstrated the ability?

Forget other people for a minute, though. With regard to the BBE, you yourself said, "With some (usually cheap) systems and the right program material, the improvement is major and cannot be replicated with eq. Period." If you truly stand by that statement, why haven't you taken the blind test I posted? Of course, just because you can't hear a difference doesn't mean nobody else can, but then you could apply that logic to almost anything. just because no one who's ever been tested can hear the difference between 96KHz and 192KHz sampling rates in blind tests doesn't mean no one can, but statistically speaking, it's unlikely.

I can't prove that no one can hear a difference between a sample processed with the BBE and an EQ match, but I'd wager that the outcome of a blind test involving a representative sample would ultimately prove that those who potentially could would be statistically insignificant.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

In other words: "I've discovered a spoon that makes my pasta taste indistinguishable from that of a Michelin Star rated restaurant. Prove me wrong!!!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

In other words: "I've discovered a spoon that makes my pasta taste indistinguishable from that of a Michelin Star rated restaurant. Prove me wrong!!!"
Not exactly, because the EQ isn't comparable with a spoon in this case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom