Replacing a CAB in Presets

Pete

Inspired
Howdy!

JUst wondering if I'm going about things right.

I download loads of patches from here as well as dialing in my own. Something that most patches have is CABS as the original preset maker has made the patch using FRFR or at least the characteristics of a CAB block.
I'm a Guitar speaker user (2 2x12 EVM12L's) and prefer the sound of having CABS turned off in general.

When using downloaded patches that have been designed with a CAB block would it be sensible to repalce that CAB block with a GEQ/PEQ and dial in as if it was CAB? Obviously without the CAB sims on the patch is lacking whatever the CAB block brought to the sound.

Sure, or just bypass the cabs when using a gtr cab, either globally or on a preset by preset basis.

Howdy!

JUst wondering if I'm going about things right.

I download loads of patches from here as well as dialing in my own. Something that most patches have is CABS as the original preset maker has made the patch using FRFR or at least the characteristics of a CAB block.
I'm a Guitar speaker user (2 2x12 EVM12L's) and prefer the sound of having CABS turned off in general.

When using downloaded patches that have been designed with a CAB block would it be sensible to repalce that CAB block with a GEQ/PEQ and dial in as if it was CAB? Obviously without the CAB sims on the patch is lacking whatever the CAB block brought to the sound.

Cool... I guess what I'm driving at is.... is the CAB block just a more advanced GEQ/PEQ block.
I appreciate that buy using guitar speakers I am replacing the need for the CAB block but some patches seem to rely heavily on the CAB for its overall sound i.e if using a Recto or german cab... its a very distinct sound and removing the CAB block will alter the overall feel considerably as the EVM12L's are nothing like Recto or German CAB blocks... so in this instance would a GEQ/PEQ block be a wise addition to try and get back to the original intended sound?

I guess alot comes from when trying a preset set like the dumble one that was knocking around here... with my set up Axe Ultra/GT800FX/EVM12L's and numerous guitars (humbuckers and single coils) it sounds bad, muffled, dull.. crap :) I'm guessing that the intended CAB block made the preset come alive... so I would need to replace with a GEQ/PEQ to get there.

Yes, getting the sound you want out of a guitar cab vs DI'd with a Cab Block can take some trial and error, just go for it.

The Cab IR is essentially a complex EQ curve, so in your quest for tone via guitar cabs you "might" find yourself EQ'ing a lot to find it, and maybe even using a Cab IR and EQ to get there even though it's technically frowned upon for obvious reasons.

My rule is, "if it sounds right, it is right"!

Have fun, try any and everything you need to get the tone you like.

Keep in mind though that the the guitar cab is actually acting as another EQ vs a FRFR speaker, and that guitar cabs/speakers have as much or more to do with an amp's tone as the actual amp does in many cases.

Cool... I guess what I'm driving at is.... is the CAB block just a more advanced GEQ/PEQ block.
I appreciate that buy using guitar speakers I am replacing the need for the CAB block but some patches seem to rely heavily on the CAB for its overall sound i.e if using a Recto or german cab... its a very distinct sound and removing the CAB block will alter the overall feel considerably as the EVM12L's are nothing like Recto or German CAB blocks... so in this instance would a GEQ/PEQ block be a wise addition to try and get back to the original intended sound?

I guess alot comes from when trying a preset set like the dumble one that was knocking around here... with my set up Axe Ultra/GT800FX/EVM12L's and numerous guitars (humbuckers and single coils) it sounds bad, muffled, dull.. crap :) I'm guessing that the intended CAB block made the preset come alive... so I would need to replace with a GEQ/PEQ to get there.

Back
Top Bottom