Regarding the level parameter in the Drive block...

Bruce1448

Maybe this is a dumb question, but with my real drive pedals (like my Timmy for example) into a tube amp, the level knob on the drive pedal can boost the volume of the amp substantially.
With the drive block in front of an amp block on the AxeFx, I don't seem to get the volume boost, even if the level is maxed out.

I've had the AxeFx over 3 years now so I've found plenty of solutions to this "problem" (problem isn't really the right word), but I'm curious if this is intended or if maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks guys!

What drive and amp models are you using? Because I have found the opposite of this. I sometimes have to turn the level WAY down because I'll get too much of a volume boost.

really? the drives add a ton of volume here, even at moderate settings.

one thing to consider is you may not have ever been able to have the MV as high as you can in the Axe, therefore you were pushing more volume into clean headroom, so it could get louder instead of saturating an already dimed power section.

Reactions: RDH
It has the same effect - are you driving the same amp with your Drive block? If not, the outcomes may be different.

A real amp usually has a lot of headroom because you're not running it blisteringly loud - so a kick in the front-end does push the volume up too, rather than just forcing it to compress (although that does sound louder).

An amp in the Axe-Fx II may already be running at that sort of volume, so you're just further compressing it.

Try using an amp model with plenty of headroom and see if the outcome is the same.

EDIT: Think about it this way, to run your tube amp when you practice you probably have the MV set way low. Ensure you do the same on the AF2 model.

Depends on how much clean headroom you have left in your amp block.

It reacts EXACTLY like the real world counterpart. If you don't have any clean headroom left, then you won't get more volume out of the amp, just more drive as you push the amp further into saturation.

It has the same effect - are you driving the same amp with your Drive block? If not, the outcomes may be different.

A real amp usually has a lot of headroom because you're not running it blisteringly loud - so a kick in the front-end does push the volume up too, rather than just forcing it to compress (although that does sound louder).

An amp in the Axe-Fx II may already be running at that sort of volume, so you're just further compressing it.

Try using an amp model with plenty of headroom and see if the outcome is the same.

EDIT: Think about it this way, to run your tube amp when you practice you probably have the MV set way low. Ensure you do the same on the AF2 model.

Very good points and advice. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but with my real drive pedals (like my Timmy for example) into a tube amp, the level knob on the drive pedal can boost the volume of the amp substantially.
With the drive block in front of an amp block on the AxeFx, I don't seem to get the volume boost, even if the level is maxed out.

I've had the AxeFx over 3 years now so I've found plenty of solutions to this "problem" (problem isn't really the right word), but I'm curious if this is intended or if maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks guys!
it will boost the level of a clean amp. it will saturate the tone/gain of an already-distorted amp.

just like real pedals with real amps.

what amp were you trying to boost volume?

Thinking about this more, it may be that the amps I was using have the master volume dimed...

I'll do a little experimentation and update shortly. Thanks for the responses!

Yeah, you guys nailed it. Thanks so much!

This thing seriously blows my mind...Still learning!!

Edit: For clarification, it was the lack of clean headroom mainly due to the Master Volume on the amp block being dimed.

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys nailed it. Thanks so much!

This thing seriously blows my mind...Still learning!!

Edit: For clarification, it was the lack of clean headroom mainly due to the Master Volume on the amp block being dimed.
Great! Glad we could help.

Yeah, that's been a central part of my furthering my understanding of the kit. You've got to remember that you're playing the actual amp (effectively), so whenever you set the settings to "peel the paint off the walls", you're hearing exactly what you would have... Only many times more quiet.

One of the biggest factors about sound is volume - we hear things very differently when they're loud.

If you get the chance, blast your Axe-Fx II through a big set of capable, accurate speakers (or a cab). There's magic in this box!

What means MV dimed?
Never heard that expression.
Is that set to 10? (I guess this is it)
Or the other way, low?
Could not find a good translation

What means MV dimed?
Never heard that expression.
Is that set to 10? (I guess this is it)
Or the other way, low?
Could not find a good translation
A dime is worth 10 cents and the highest setting on some knobs is 10, so a knob that is dimed is set to 10. But basically "dimed" means "turned all the way up."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom