Reduce CPU usage?

jgparker59

Inspired
How do I reduce my CPU usage? I keep getting errors flashing. Is it patch specific or the whole unit? If I delete or take out all the blocks say in bank B, will that help? Thanks for any help.

CPU usage is on a per patch basis and all dependant on what you have placed on your grid. Even if the effect isn't active (i.e. muted) it still requires CPU cycles to be present.
Removing blocks from a bank isn't going to help at all and I think you might be getting confused between preset blocks/banks and effect blocks.

Post a screenshot of one of your problematic presets, or post the preset itself on here and you'll get lots of advice.

There was also an old thread about how each effect block consumes CPU, not sure if there is a more recent one available anywhere:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/49111-cpu-usage-chart.html

Ultra cab blocks and time based effects are the biggest users of CPU.

As I've said before, it's time for the Axe III, with more capacity to address this issue. Before URs and G3 the II was sufficient but now the software is eating it up and forcing compromised decisions.

Ok so I think I get it. If I have 300 presets with one block in them each, I'm ok. But if I have one preset with 12 blocks in it, I'm probable going to have CPU overage depending on the blocks used of course. Correct?

Exactly. Load a few ultra blocks into a PRESET you'll max out.

Ok thanks all! I never understood the need for an XL+ but do now.

The two CPUs are the same so you'll still have the same high CPUs percentage issues with any Axe Fx 2 whether its the Mark I, Mark II, XL, or XL+. The only differences are more connectivity options, more storage space for presets, and a few other things. Here are the differences straight from the Fractal home page:

Axe-Fx II (original) - Dual TigerSHARC, 384 presets, 100 User Cab Slots, RJ45 MFC-101 port, Mechanical main encoder, MIDI IN and OUT/THRU jacks, Single "Pedal" jack, 60mm fan.
Axe-Fx II Mark II - EtherCON port for connecting MFC-101. 60 or 80mm fan
Axe-Fx II XL - As above, but upgraded as noted: memory Increase to 768 presets, 500 User Cab Slots, EtherCON and FASLINK connectors, optical main encoder, dedicated MIDI THRU, lower noise floor, 80mm fan. "Secret Sauce III" input circuitry, flash ROM preset storage, built-in recovery firmware, dual onboard Expression Pedal jacks, "XL only" firmware features (such as XY on a greater number of blocks.)
Axe-Fx II XL Plus - All of the above, plus a brighter sharper display, and an even lower noise floor.

I did not know that. Thank you for saving me $2500. I just deleted some blocks and brought the usage down. Now it works but like was said, had to compromise. Oh well. Thanks all for you help!!

That is why you need to spend $2500.00, so you are free to not worry about such things.
Also, to enjoy the extra 100% more joy, and clarity, and to feel the tone, with less effort.

Ultra cab blocks and time based effects are the biggest users of CPU.

As I've said before, it's time for the Axe III, with more capacity to address this issue. Before URs and G3 the II was sufficient but now the software is eating it up and forcing compromised decisions.

I can't wait for the Axe III:D

this sort of cpu prob is most often when guys try to emulate their entire pedal board in a single preset..
but you don't really need to..
you have 384 presets available.. spread your needs out across them..
work out what you need in a preset on a per song or per type of song basis and you'll most likely find you'll not run out of horse power..

Last edited:
this sort of cpu prog is most often when guys try to emulate their entire pedal board in a single preset..
but you don't really need to..
you have 384 presets available.. spread your needs out across them..
work out what you need in a preset on a per song or per type of song basis and you'll most likely find you'll not run out of horse power..

That is exactly what I'm doing. So true.

That is exactly what I'm doing. So true.

if you can, try to make a preset for a specific song / type of song and use scenes to deliver all the tone needs [riff / solo / etc]
if another song is similar but not the same, copy the preset and then add the changes..
that way your principle tones will remain constant throughout your set of presets..
and this strategy is where global presets can seriously come to the rescue...

Back
Top Bottom