Rectifier, Solidstate vs tube?

Larry Largen

Inspired
My Mesa Roadster has a switch on the back allowing me to select "Diode" or "Tube Recto Tracking". I like the Diode for channels 3 and 4 which have more high gain, and the "tube" setting for my clean channel 1. Sometimes I go back and forth on channel two which has a little drive. I am wondering why this isn't an option in the amp modeling of the Axe FX, or is that the the same effect can be achieved by using the "supply sag" control?

My Mesa Roadster has a switch on the back allowing me to select "Diode" or "Tube Recto Tracking". I like the Diode for channels 3 and 4 which have more high gain, and the "tube" setting for my clean channel 1. Sometimes I go back and forth on channel two which has a little drive. I am wondering why this isn't an option in the amp modeling of the Axe FX, or is that the the same effect can be achieved by using the "supply sag" control?

I have read on here that supply sag around 2-3 emulates the diode setting, and supply sag around 6-7 emulates the tube rectifier.......

I have read on here that supply sag around 2-3 emulates the diode setting, and supply sag around 6-7 emulates the tube rectifier.......

I think you're right!

"Supply Sag models the power supply resistance. This includes the power transformer, rectifier and any other resistances before the filter caps. The higher the resistance, the more the supply droops when current is pulled from it by the power tubes. The more the supply droops, the spongier the feel."

AMP block parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited:
On gain tones I've had sag supply at 4. Higher values compresses it, making it bolder, a little more focused, yet rolling off the highs. Above 8 seems to bloat it. Lower values lighten it, basically reducing the warmth of the power amp, as well as some of the punch. Neither seems spongier than the other.

It is still true, because this is the II subforum. Looks like it's not true for the III and FM3.

Back
Top Bottom