Recording Woes

When RevDucifer said to click on that button, he meant in order to turn it off, not to turn it on :).
Just finished reading the recording guide again, everything is set up properly on my end, nothing jumped out at me at all. However, the very last paragraph touches on what I mentioned in my post last night about the bottom of pg. 20 in the owners manual, "Option; USB Input Monitoring Only". I will be home soon, I will try that.

No, you don't need it on because you're already hearing the AxeFX through your monitors. That Input Monitoring allows you to hear what's being input into that track. If you play with it ON you'll get that nasty out of phase sound, turn it OFF and it goes away.

It sounds like the problem you're having is somehow that nasty phase sound is getting recorded and the only way I can think that's occurring is you're sending the output from the AxeFX, into Logic then back of out Logic and into the AxeFX again and back into Logic. If it's ending up on the bounce, I'm not sure how else it could happen aside from routing outputs/inputs in Logic.

You want this-
View attachment 115181

Not this-

View attachment 115182

But I need to see your mixer to see how you have the Inputs/Outputs routed (the Logic mixer)

View attachment 115184

Or better yet, can you post the file you're sending to the engineer?
I was just making sure that you meant OFF with input monitoring, which is correct. I always make sure that is off before recording. How do I upload my screenshot?

"But, during playback after recording, the track has to be unmuted in order to hear anything. When that happens, what I’m actually hearing is a super processed, phasey track. Because at that point, I’m hearing both signals. That’s what’s been getting sent to my producer."

That doesn't make sense, you're not hearing "both signals" unless you're actually playing along live with the recording. Did you record two tracks (as in two takes)? Are they panned? If not it will sound phasey and weird.

Are you recording a summed stereo signal onto a mono track perchance? The input monitoring thing while recording wouldn't affect playback or export.

Last edited:
Wait a minute…

I’ve been following along here, and I think one thing has been forgotten…..If the OP is in fact setting something wrong when recording, then the recording would sound awful to him before he sends it out, right? I think he said the recordings sound great to him before sending.
Actually, playback before sending away sounds bad. I may have misstated that in my original post. It sounds phasey, like two signals that are super compressed. On pg. 20 of the owners manual, at the bottom of the page; "Option: USB Input Monitoring Only", that's what I'm gonna try when I get home in a minute. Do you happen to know anything about that in particular?

Are you recording a summed stereo signal onto a mono track perchance? The input monitoring thing while recording wouldn't affect playback or export.
Not exactly sure what a summed stereo signal means, but I am recording on a mono track. Thanks for the reply

Not exactly sure what a summed stereo signal means, but I am recording on a mono track. Thanks for the reply

Means summing the L+R signal. This can cause phase issues like you describe depending on the source material. You can record to a stereo track or only take the L or R signal from the Axe FX if you want mono.

Track 1 (Wet) , Input 1, Stereo output
Track 2 (Dry) , Input 2, Stereo output
Track 3 (DI) , Input 5, Stereo output

Thats my routing in Logic

"But, during playback after recording, the track has to be unmuted in order to hear anything. When that happens, what I’m actually hearing is a super processed, phasey track. Because at that point, I’m hearing both signals. That’s what’s been getting sent to my producer."

That doesn't make sense, you're not hearing "both signals" unless you're actually playing along live with the recording. Did you record two tracks (as in two takes)? Are they panned? If not it will sound phasey and weird.

I guess using the verbage "both signals" is a little misleading. What I mean is, when unmuting for playback, I get that weird phasey sound (which is what's being recorded), whereas if I press the mute button, I'm back to my original recording tone.

Just finished reading the recording guide again, everything is set up properly on my end, nothing jumped out at me at all. However, the very last paragraph touches on what I mentioned in my post last night about the bottom of pg. 20 in the owners manual, "Option; USB Input Monitoring Only". I will be home soon, I will try that.
By "The very last paragraph", do you mean the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide? If so, yes, that is an explanation of the "USB Input Monitoring Only" topic on page 20 of the user manual. That is an advanced topic that is unrelated to what you are trying to do, so do not do that.

I would guess you are recording multiple tracks simultaneously. Follow the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide and only record one track. That one track should take input from usb channels 1/2.

I guess using the verbage "both signals" is a little misleading. What I mean is, when unmuting for playback, I get that weird phasey sound (which is what's being recorded), whereas if I press the mute button, I'm back to my original recording tone.

Where is this mysterious other track coming from during playback after you've muted the track you recorded? Are you playing it or is it recorded?

EDIT

Just seen you're recording 3 tracks, thanks.

Definitely sounds like a phasing issue between these tracks during playback, if I was a betting man. If you solo each one during playback, do they sound fine (and do they actually sound like a wet, dry and DI signal)?

Last edited:
Where is this mysterious other track coming from during playback after you've muted the track you recorded? Are you playing it or is it recorded?

EDIT

Just seen you're recording 3 tracks, thanks.

Definitely sounds like a phasing issue between these tracks during playback, if I was a betting man. If you solo each one during playback, do they sound fine (and do they actually sound like a wet, dry and DI signal)?
When I cut a track recording the three tracks at once, they all do what they are supposed to do. 1 track that is wet, 1 that is dry, and 1 that is a DI. But the problem I'm having happens whether I'm recording 1 or 3 tracks at once. In fact, when I'm attempting to record a single track, whether it be wet or dry, as soon as I unmute the track, it sounds different. Unlike how it sounded when I was playing with the track muted. Its like I'm getting some artifacts from elsewhere.

By "The very last paragraph", do you mean the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide? If so, yes, that is an explanation of the "USB Input Monitoring Only" topic on page 20 of the user manual. That is an advanced topic that is unrelated to what you are trying to do, so do not do that.

I would guess you are recording multiple tracks simultaneously. Follow the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide and only record one track. That one track should take input from usb channels 1/2.

I suspect your problems are due to adding complications to what is ordinarily a simple process. Follow the instructions for configuration #1 and stick to that simple workflow. Wait until you get that working before adding more advanced steps to the process.

I guess at the heart of the problem is this question; Why would anything sound different simply by unmuting the track that I'm recording on? When mute is ON, tone sounds as it should. When mute is OFF, tone sounds different ( a small touch louder with some "overcompressed" qualities or artifacts, suggesting there is another signal being introduced somehow). I simply need my track to be consistent whether muted or not.

Start from the beginning. Open a new clean project. Insert a track and set its input to USB Inputs 1 and 2. This will record Output 1 Left and Right from the Axe III. Turn off input monitoring and arm the track. Record a track from your Axe III, disarm the track, and then play it back. It should sound identical to what you just heard while playing. If it does not, you've got something misconfigured in your DAW.

I suspect your problems are due to adding complications to what is ordinarily a simple process. Follow the instructions for configuration #1 and stick to that simple workflow. Wait until you get that working before adding more advanced steps to the process.
Let's take the idea of recording out of the conversation for a moment. Let's say that, for whatever reason, my track is muted and I'm simply warming up in order to record. I finish warming up and I look at my track and notice its muted, so I unmute and play a riff to then realize something is a bit different. I notice there is a small amount of added volume as well as an overcompressed type sound, making my sweet tone sound a little different. That difference seems to be personified when listening back after a track has been recorded.

Start from the beginning. Open a new clean project. Insert a track and set its input to USB Inputs 1 and 2. This will record Output 1 Left and Right from the Axe III. Turn off input monitoring and arm the track. Record a track from your Axe III, disarm the track, and then play it back. It should sound identical to what you just heard while playing. If it does not, you've got something misconfigured in your DAW.
At this point, I feel sure something is misconfigured within my DAW, when I'm playing "standalone" or when my track is muted, my tone is fine.

Let's take the idea of recording out of the conversation for a moment. Let's say that, for whatever reason, my track is muted and I'm simply warming up in order to record. I finish warming up and I look at my track and notice its muted, so I unmute and play a riff to then realize something is a bit different. I notice there is a small amount of added volume as well as an overcompressed type sound, making my sweet tone sound a little different. That difference seems to be personified when listening back after a track has been recorded.

The answer lies in your question. If you need to mute the track, that means you have something configured incorrectly in your DAW. For example, routing a pre-mute send to a bus that has effects which introduce latency. The solution is simple, don't stray from the configuration #1 instructions like that :).

It sounds like you've got something messed up with input monitoring or a pre-send bus like GlennO said. Muting a track should only affect playback if input monitoring is correctly disabled. You should be hearing only the direct input from the Axe III and nothing at all from the DAW. On the Axe III front panel, tab over to the the meters page and check if there is any signal showing in USB In 1 and 2 while playing your guitar (DAW stopped, no playback). If there is, input monitoring is not disabled or you're sending the input signal to another bus somehow.

Back
Top Bottom