Recording session - 2 stereo one mono dry at 96k

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I have a very important recording project coming up in about two weeks. I just want to double check myself. We're recording at 96k, which eliminates the USB approach. I'm planning on going into my Millennia TD-1 DI so I can split the inputs signals. I want to go out of the TD-1 with a dry signal to the PT rig and the other output going into the input of the Axe Fx II.

I've experienced some noise on the dry track this way in the past. It might be something else. I want to have a stereo effected Axe2 and a dry mono for reamp later. Is there a better way of doing this without the extra DI? Can I go analog out stereo effected and mono out dry and the same time? I think I can but I've never been able to get it going.

I've been messing with this type of thing for a while now and to be honest I haven't found anything that can keep the SNR down to the point that the 48kHz digital of the AxeFXII can do. Now I'm not using all top of the line crap here at home, but even going all balanced or even AES to a convertor of some kind the dry signal gets destroyed as soon as it goes analog to and from.

If the Milennia box can keep it clean I don't think that you're going to find a better route if you have to go with something other than 48KHz. I suppose an external SRC taking the digital out of the AxeFXII is one way to go. You'd have to go both ways though. Then you're also talking about the possibility of having to switch clock sources multiple times during each session.

The only box that looked like it would take care of all of that in one fell swoop is the Mutec MC6. I've been wanting to try one of these out in the worst way....but $650 bones is a lot for something that I want to play with vs just sucking it up and using 48kHz which is more than fine for me right now. For a professional application it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Henry,

I think a preset that uses the FX Loop (page 66 of the 600c manual has a diagram) as a send to output 2 and another chain that just goes to output 1 would be a starting point.

Any additional details on this would probably be cool. I have no idea what you are talking about here.

the VirusTI2 keyboard connects via USB and has a VST plugin that both controls the keyboard and passes audio over USB in the host directly. one connection, USB, through the plugin, does everything. remote control, multiple ins and outs, whole deal. . . simply and easily.

The virus vst is just a remote control, it contains none of the algorithms within the box itself. All of the computing takes place within the Virus

Back
Top Bottom