[Recording] Axe FX II sounds different when recorded

vegahouse

I've been noticing, more and more lately, that I tweak an incredible tone in preparation for recording some guitar tracks only to find the tone to sound very different when recorded. I record direct through USB. I can tweak a tone to sound huge, monstrous, with snappy attack, cut mids, fizz nodes and excessive sizzle removed, but upon recording, for whatever reason, the tone is similar, but flabby, lots of mids, and all of that fizz and sizzle I reduced is right back into the recording. What am I doing wrong?

tone post.jpg

I just went into my settings and checked my Output 1 Mode, which was set to Copy L->R. You think that is what was causing it? I set it back to Output 1 Mode - Stereo.

I just went into my settings and checked my Output 1 Mode, which was set to Copy L->R. You think that is what was causing it? I set it back to Output 1 Mode - Stereo.

This could also be a reason. But a referer to USB/DIGI Out setting, not OUTPUT1 setting :)

This could also be a reason. But a referer to USB/DIGI Out setting, not OUTPUT1 setting :)
Haha, yes, I checked that as well and it was set to Output 1, but Output 1 was set to a strange setting that I might have accidently changed a few months ago. it's all becoming clear now...:encouragement:

I'll report back to see if the issue is resolved. Thanks for the input Morph and Cliff.

Question, which setting would be best for recording mono tracks, but still able to retain the full tone that was tweaked prior? I'm looking in the manual, but it's a bit off-putting.

Just record only one channel (left) (Daw: IN1). When recording, i personally only record RAW amp sound for production : AMP+CAB. delays, reverb, stereo blah, compression .. i add in the DAW to fit the track into mix.

Also a DI channel for reamping purposes (IN3 / IN4).

Reactions: CCT
Check I/O settings -> USB/DIGI out -> OUTPUT1 (not input!)
Make sure, you record IN1+2 (stereo processed) and don`t mix left and right as mono together, when playback.

I'm new-ish so this is of great interest to me as well. So, am I understanding correctly that in the I/O menu, Input 1 Mode and Input 2 Mode should be set to "Stereo"? Both of these were set to "left only" when I checked.

Thanks for the OP and help!

I'm new-ish so this is of great interest to me as well. So, am I understanding correctly that in the I/O menu, Input 1 Mode and Input 2 Mode should be set to "Stereo"? Both of these were set to "left only" when I checked.

Thanks for the OP and help!

No. I`m talking about output, not input.

Hmmm.. Having no trouble the I know of. I have going to have to check this out.
Thanks for the info...

This is awesome, I've been running into the same problem and this makes things clear....many thanks for bring this up :)

Back
Top Bottom