Recommended Firmware Update: 11.03

I just want to add that even with the problems that come up from time to time with Firmware, Cliff and Co. always move forward. Even when there is a small "hiccup" with certain things, they are fixed before most folks even know there is a change.

went through most of my patches tonight on 11.03 and this box is sounding very good
thanks Cliff :)

Jumped into V11 with V11.03. It's absolutely great and IMHO another big step forward. As since V7 I am already "oversatisfied", it thus must be better than the real thing now (don't have a "physical tube amp anymore for one and a half year now). Had one patch for witch the scene switching would not work anymore and also a delay block in another pathc that formerly would change to "off" state at S1->S2 but now curiously remained "on" when switching scenes (S1->S2), but did not have time to investigate as we were rehearsing and I had to restore the patch with it's scenery on the fly (works flawless now). Will have to reconsider a some reparametering of patches as I scarcely didn't touch anything since V8 and obviously some amps show volume changes. Howbeit, we had a lot of fun and guitar sound was great. Thanks a lot for your commitment FA.

Just an FYI for folks, after I updated to 11.03 my patches sounded really shrill and trebly. Everything was coming out icepicky. I thought it was just me and turned down the treble from 4k up significantly. But I kept questioning myself that the Axe couldn't have sounded like this before. I have had problems with treble and other modelers and FRFR before so I thought it was just me. After a couple frustrating nights, I loaded the system clean file and reloaded all patches with the standard bank file. After that the treble is normal and all is good again :). I will try to reload my old patches and see if they will be back to normal now or if they are permanently dead.

Just an FYI for folks, after I updated to 11.03 my patches sounded really shrill and trebly. Everything was coming out icepicky. I thought it was just me and turned down the treble from 4k up significantly. But I kept questioning myself that the Axe couldn't have sounded like this before. I have had problems with treble and other modelers and FRFR before so I thought it was just me. After a couple frustrating nights, I loaded the system clean file and reloaded all patches with the standard bank file. After that the treble is normal and all is good again :). I will try to reload my old patches and see if they will be back to normal now or if they are permanently dead.

Power Amp Modeling in the Global menu probably got turned off.

Power Amp Modeling in the Global menu probably got turned off.

I thought of that but power amp modeling both on and off sounded terrible, with off actually sounding much better. I changed cabs many other settings too to no avail. By the way, I loaded up my old presets and they all sound fine again.

Edit: Scratch that. My presets don't sound good. Bot keeps loading my bank A into both Bank A and B so what I thought were my presets were the new default presets.

Edit2: I did another round of wipe and restore and everything is good again including my old preset banks. Something must have gotten corrupted but it seems fixed now. Everything is back to sounding great.

Last edited:
I did another round of wipe and restore and everything is good again including my old preset banks. Something must have gotten corrupted but it seems fixed now. Everything is back to sounding great.

Yeah, typically there's been a need to reset patches. And then there's the oddity of a certain person's system, apparently made more precarious with Mac. I was pleasantly surprised my patches sounded great without any touch. (XP32 here.)

I've actually had a bit of intermittent trouble with FW11.03 unfortunately... No big deal, I'm back on 11.01 at the moment, but thought I should let you folks know.

Basically, it sometimes sounds very thin and clean with noticeably lower output, like I've turned the volume knob way down on my guitar (e.g. Brit 800 preset is very clean, Euro Uber has only slight breakup), and there's a lot of background noise. It doesn't happen every time I turn it on, but very often. It happens whether I'm listening through my studio monitors or headphones. I noticed in the Utility->Status menu that when it's happening the L1 and R1 output levels are showing a lot of output (over 50%) with the guitar volume rolled off, which doesn't happen normally. Power amp and cabinet modelling are both on.

Sometimes it seems to go from good to bad when I change leads or guitars, but I have checked all my leads and guitars, and they all work consistently with other amps, and there's no consistent pattern of which one(s) sound good or bad, it seems to be more about plugging and unplugging.

So, I reinstalled the FW and presets and cleaned the system settings (following the instructions on the Wiki), but no luck. Then I reinstalled 11.01 and everything was back to being amazingly awesome. I tried reinstalling 11.03 again and got the same results (sounding wrong most times I turned it on), so I went back to 11.01 again and everything is great again.

Any other troubleshooting ideas? I'm using a Strat and plugged into a Mac running 10.7.5, driver and Axe-Edit are up to date.

Cliff - if it's just some unidentifiable gremlin I'm happy to wait till the next FW update, otherwise if there's anything else you'd like me to do just let me know. Sorry to be complaining about an easily avoidable issue with the greatest piece of gear I've ever come across!!

I've actually had a bit of intermittent trouble with FW11.03 unfortunately... No big deal, I'm back on 11.01 at the moment, but thought I should let you folks know.

Basically, it sometimes sounds very thin and clean with noticeably lower output, like I've turned the volume knob way down on my guitar (e.g. Brit 800 preset is very clean, Euro Uber has only slight breakup), and there's a lot of background noise. It doesn't happen every time I turn it on, but very often. It happens whether I'm listening through my studio monitors or headphones. I noticed in the Utility->Status menu that when it's happening the L1 and R1 output levels are showing a lot of output (over 50%) with the guitar volume rolled off, which doesn't happen normally. Power amp and cabinet modelling are both on.

Sometimes it seems to go from good to bad when I change leads or guitars, but I have checked all my leads and guitars, and they all work consistently with other amps, and there's no consistent pattern of which one(s) sound good or bad, it seems to be more about plugging and unplugging.

So, I reinstalled the FW and presets and cleaned the system settings (following the instructions on the Wiki), but no luck. Then I reinstalled 11.01 and everything was back to being amazingly awesome. I tried reinstalling 11.03 again and got the same results (sounding wrong most times I turned it on), so I went back to 11.01 again and everything is great again.

Any other troubleshooting ideas? I'm using a Strat and plugged into a Mac running 10.7.5, driver and Axe-Edit are up to date.

Cliff - if it's just some unidentifiable gremlin I'm happy to wait till the next FW update, otherwise if there's anything else you'd like me to do just let me know. Sorry to be complaining about an easily avoidable issue with the greatest piece of gear I've ever come across!!

Strange, this happened later yesterday, but did not have a chance to look into it. It's like it lost 6dB output. It seem to come about editing a preset, but after this volume on all patches seemed lower. At first I thought I may have bumped my volume on my
Preamp, but it had not changed. I'm running direct balanced out in my studio.

After installing 11.o I was a bit disappointed with how the patches sounded. Soooo, since I was in the studio for two weeks recording acoustic I figured it could wait. Then, I got home and low and behold 11.3 magically appeared. Loaded it up and BAM, the Axe FX II sounds absolutely incredible. Can't stop playing.

WOW....that about says it all.

After installing 11.o I was a bit disappointed with how the patches sounded. Soooo, since I was in the studio for two weeks recording acoustic I figured it could wait. Then, I got home and low and behold 11.3 magically appeared. Loaded it up and BAM, the Axe FX II sounds absolutely incredible. Can't stop playing.

WOW....that about says it all.

I had the exact same experience. Something wasn't working correctly with 11 and 11.3 blew me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You know you can open a support case, right? Probably faster response than a forum post.

Do you have any IRs in user cab slots 50-100?

I currently don't have any user cabs since I cleaned the settings (following instructions from the wiki). I don't think I had any cabs in slots 50-100 when I first installed 11.03, but I can't be sure... Either way, I tried reinstalling 11.03 when I had cleaned the system so I had no user cabs and it still did the same thing.

I currently don't have any user cabs since I cleaned the settings (following instructions from the wiki). I don't think I had any cabs in slots 50-100 when I first installed 11.03, but I can't be sure... Either way, I tried reinstalling 11.03 when I had cleaned the system so I had no user cabs and it still did the same thing.

Using the clean system file only clears usre cabs 0-50.
If there are any corrupt iRs in slot 51-100 you have to clear those manually.

Back
Top Bottom