Received a used Axe III… and something was rattling around inside…

Hey everyone - brand new owner of a used Axe III today (shipped from GC) and got to know it quite intimately…

Heard something shaking around inside - immediately cracked it open and found the fan not connected to the main board… fml

Reconnected everything I could see and fired it up - seems fine but the fan hasn’t come on yet.

What should I do to make sure the unit is okay?

Hey everyone - brand new owner of a used Axe III today (shipped from GC) and got to know it quite intimately…

Heard something shaking around inside - immediately cracked it open and found the fan not connected to the main board… fml

Reconnected everything I could see and fired it up - seems fine but the fan hasn’t come on yet.

What should I do to make sure the unit is okay?
Congratulations on getting your Axe-FX III. Too bad you’re have a problem.

Are you able to see that the fan’s not running or just listing for it?

I fired it up without the top on and played through it for 15 min and it never came on. There was definitely a missing bolt for the standoff that holds the board/fan too.

Took some cell phone photos and figuring out how to share them here

Ahh man - seeming like the USB port is not working either (I've tried multiple HQ usb cables)

I've also noticed the screen sometimes flickering when powering up (goes away when turning the main knob)

Ahh man - seeming like the USB port is not working either (I've tried multiple HQ usb cables)

I've also noticed the screen sometimes flickering when powering up (goes away when turning the main knob)
Are you on a PC or Mac? If it's a PC, you need to download & install the USB driver here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

Also, the ribbon cables often come loose during shipping so I would check the connector for the screen & reseat it to see if that fixes the screen issue. Could also be a loose connector for the USB if the driver isn't the issue.

Contacting Fractal support would be a good idea too. They are great & can help sort out the issues & give you a better idea if you should just request a return to GC.
support@fractalaudio.com

Yeah I'm on a PC - downloaded drivers, frac bot and axe edit - no dice. I'll crack it back open and see if there is anything going on in there.

Should the fan come right on?

Mine does but it's one of the first run after the Axe III was announced back in 2018. There were complaints about fan noise so I'm not sure if it's the same in later units. I seem to remember something about the fan being controlled by a temperature sensor but I'm not 100% sure on that since it didn't apply to my unit.

IMSC, the fan is indeed thermostatically controlled and only comes on when internal temp rises. Operation w/o the top panel in place would prolly not allow internal temp to reach fan-on level.

Is there any sort of diagnostic I could do to see if anything is an issue?

Also - still missing the bolt for the standoff that holds the fan in place. How would i go about getting a replacement?

Is there any sort of diagnostic I could do to see if anything is an issue?

Also - still missing the bolt for the standoff that holds the fan in place. How would i go about getting a replacement?
You might find one at a place like Mouser, but if it was me, I would contact Fractal support and see if they can send you one. At least that way you'd know it is correct....

True Story: my company was providing a large outdoor festival PA system for a Go-Go’s show in the ‘80’s. Rider called for a very expensive digital reverb (Lex 480L) which dropped dead during opener/headliner switchover. Go-Go’s FOH mixer throws a (totally unnecessary) fit. I calmly take the unit out of the rack, crack open the top panel and manually re-seat all the cards/connectors, pop the top panel back on — and it boots right up. Everyone watching thinks I’m an f’ing genius, and I do nothing to dissuade them. If they’d only known how easy it was I’m sure they wouldn’t have been nearly as impressed.

True Story: my company was providing a large outdoor festival PA system for a Go-Go’s show in the ‘80’s. Rider called for a very expensive digital reverb (Lex 480L) which dropped dead during opener/headliner switchover. Go-Go’s FOH mixer throws a (totally unnecessary) fit. I calmly take the unit out of the rack, crack open the top panel and manually re-seat all the cards/connectors, pop the top panel back on — and it boots right up. Everyone watching thinks I’m an f’ing genius, and I do nothing to dissuade them. If they’d only known how easy it was I’m sure they wouldn’t have been nearly as impressed.
You have to purse your lips, nod in a sagely manner, and say “mmm hm; thought so.” (It’s important to emphasise the semicolon)

Last edited:
If you haven't found the bolt yet, you may want to check throughout the enclosure to see if it's still in there, wedged in a corner or under something. It could have gotten stuck in a spot and potentially jar loose when the unit is moved later on, which could lead to a short. Maybe give it a few good shakes (when powered off and unplugged :) to see if it shows up.

Back
Top Bottom