RCF Stage Monitor

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I played at a small village festival last night. Spent the afternoon rehearsing with my usual rig... Axe Ultra into VHT 2/50/2 into 8 ohm 2x12 cab. Then we went to the venue which was a large stage set up in a marquee. Ran a line direct to the desk from Unbalanced Out 2 for the FOH. I fired up the VHT (my backline)... nothing. Tried rerouting the output to channel B... Still nothing. The VHT was getting power and receiving a signal from the Axe but I couldn't get any sound out of my speakers. After swapping out all the cables including the speaker cable I had no choice but to give up and do the gig "naked" without any backline for the very first time. I was nervous, until we got into the soundcheck.

To cut the story short, I had the best stage sound I've ever had last night, and actually enjoyed playing for a change because I could finally hear myself properly without worrying about my sound becoming overcompressed/distorted due to lack of headroom. I attribute my experience to the stage monitor I was using -- an RCF 4 PRO similar to this: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~RCF-4-PRO-3002-SMA~ID~5325.asp
This surprised me because I had previously purchased an RCF ART 322a for use with the Axe and didn't like it at all (though I was using much older firmware at the time).

Anyone else here have experience with this line of monitors? How would you say they compared with other stage monitors with similar specs?

Good tale :)

Did you go through and enable cab-sims on your patches then..? I'd have thought it would have sounded vey fizzy otherwise!

Cover'd said:

Did you go through and enable cab-sims on your patches then..? I'd have thought it would have sounded vey fizzy otherwise!
My cab sims are always enabled on Output 2.

Those RCF monitors are pretty serious. I priced some active ones, and they go for about £2,000 each (if they were the same ones). Good monitors will make all the difference, they will play loud and clear...

Penge said:
Those RCF monitors are pretty serious. I priced some active ones, and they go for about £2,000 each (if they were the same ones). Good monitors will make all the difference, they will play loud and clear...
The 3002 is active and it's listed here at £949.

Stringtheorist said:
Cover'd said:

My cab sims are always enabled on Output 2.
thumbsup.gif

Stringtheorist said:
Penge said:
The 3002 is active and it's listed here at £949.

Sorry I was thinking of these ones http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/RCF_TT2 ... CF-TT25SMA
However RCF makes some of the best drivers anywhere, so I can imagine the ones you tried were excellent.

Back
Top Bottom