Rack space

sirgary

Hi Will I be ok using axe 2 Mk 2 and a Furman in a 3 rack gator hard case.
I was wondering about the overheating side of things.
Thanks for any replies.
G

I have used AXE (Ultra and now II) with power conditioner and power amp in 4 rack case for years with no overheating issues.

I have used AXE (Ultra and now II) with power conditioner and power amp in 4 rack case for years with no overheating issues.

I just picked up a 6-space Gator, Axe FX II and Monster Pro 3500 conditioner. What kind of power amp do you recommend for heat and performance?

I just picked up a 6-space Gator, Axe FX II and Monster Pro 3500 conditioner. What kind of power amp do you recommend for heat and performance?

Carvin DCM1540L. I have that in a 6U rack with my AxeII and power conditioner. Stays nice and cool. The fans are in the back and it is vented in front. Amp is amazing. I can not tell the difference in feel between it and my Mesa.

Hi Will I be ok using axe 2 Mk 2 and a Furman in a 3 rack gator hard case.
I was wondering about the overheating side of things.
Neither the Axe II nor the Furman will generate enough heat to worry about. Just leave the back of the case open.

I spoke with the customer service at rackfans.com and he believes in my situation it is better to have the fans blowing in. My rack is full and he believes using an exhaust fan would only pull a bit of heat out but would not keep the actual units cooler as it would blowing the air into the units. I guess it really depends on your setup what will work best for you. I have decided to purchase a two space fan that has 4 fans on it $119.00.

When your food is too hot do you blow on it or suck the air away?
That's more about how the human air-moving apparatus works than which way cools better.

The main thing with cooling is to direct cool air at the components and to direct the hot exhaust air away from them. Which way works best? That depends on how the individual components are buit and arranged. But in general, exhaust fans are easier to control than direct fans. The exhaust fan blows the hot air away from the rig. Cool air leaks in through any available hole and crack. An intake fan will direct cool air at certain components, and hot exhaust will travel through the rig and leak out through any available hole and crack.

That's why most equipment uses exhaust fans to suck out hot air. Just check the computer under your desk.

That's more about how the human air-moving apparatus works than which way cools better.

The main thing with cooling is to direct cool air at the components and to direct the hot exhaust air away from them. Which way works best? That depends on how the individual components are buit and arranged. But in general, exhaust fans are easier to control than direct fans. The exhaust fan blows the hot air away from the rig. Cool air leaks in through any available hole and crack. An intake fan will direct cool air at certain components, and hot exhaust will travel through the rig and leak out through any available hole and crack.

That's why most equipment uses exhaust fans to suck out hot air. Just check the computer under your desk.

It was a joke but open the case on the computer under your desk and look which way the internal fans are facing.

I just finished a 3.5 hour gig in 43 (celsius with the humidex) degree weather in full sun with a 4u rack that holds a Furman PL8 and the Axe, and no trouble...at least with the Axe, I was sweating like pregnant nun.

Last edited:
It was a joke...
Sorry, I missed that.

...but open the case on the computer under your desk and look which way the internal fans are facing.
Internal fans, intended to cool a specific component, blow directly on that component. Their job is to dissipate that component's heat into the case. External fans, intended to cool the entire rig, exhaust hot air out. Their job is to remove that hot air from the case.

Sorry, I missed that.

Internal fans, intended to cool a specific component, blow directly on that component. Their job is to dissipate that component's heat into the case. External fans, intended to cool the entire rig, exhaust hot air out. Their job is to remove that hot air from the case.

Read above about why the exhaust fan won't work based on what rack fans said. Air takes the path of least resistance. Your computer is enclosed. A rack with the back open is not. So the best you are gonna do it cool it via blowing air inward.

Read above about why the exhaust fan won't work based on what rack fans said. Air takes the path of least resistance. Your computer is enclosed. A rack with the back open is not. So the best you are gonna do it cool it via blowing air inward.
I read that but don't completely agree with it. Air takes the patch of least resistance whether it's blowing in or out. With an exhaust fan, at least you're expelling the hot air that rises up by convection.

IMO, in a completely open rack, external fans won't help much, whether they're blowing in or out.

Back
Top Bottom