Rack case: hard or soft?

mtlin

Inspired
For transporting your Axe, do you prefer a hard molded case or a rack bag? It's hard to find weight specs on the most popular options. What are your experiences?

I have my Ultra in a 3U hard case. I got that after realizing that the 6u case I had originally purchased was going to be way too big and heavy.

Now even the 3U rack case is pretty heavy, I sometimes think about just getting a 2U soft case and leaving the power conditioner at home.

Tonekat said:
I have my Ultra in a 3U hard case. I got that after realizing that the 6u case I had originally purchased was going to be way too big and heavy.

Now even the 3U rack case is pretty heavy, I sometimes think about just getting a 2U soft case and leaving the power conditioner at home.

Yeah, from what I understand, a power conditioner is not really necessary.

It really depends on what you are mounting in the rack. For just an Axe and self transportation, a soft bag is sure light and handy. But if you are using other rack mounted gear, things get heavy fast and I would want it in a hard rack.

I just bought a Gator Studio2Go rack bag and it's fantastic! Fits my Ultra and the top divided section allows me to stow my IEM Transmitter, LF Jr (when it arrives) and various cables.. The side pouch fits my 15.4" Macbook Pro in its Neoprene sleeve and power adapter.

I just ditched my SKB 5U hard case which had a 2U drawer... man that thing was doing my back in! Now it's so much lighter and portable enough to carry on board aircraft for fly dates.

It's probably overkill for most guys, but i just got a 3u shock flight rack from a&s case. it's made of hex material which is a composite, instead of plywood. it has 1" of foam for shock reasons. the case, my axe and a rackmounted wireless, some cables and a power strip all weighs in at 40lbs. so i just send it through luggage and carry my guitar onboard the aircraft. works great. the lfjr is in my clothing bag and I'm ready for the rig.

N

Back
Top Bottom