Questions about the Ultra (noobie)

Xereth

Hello,

I'm really interested in the idea of the fractal axe-fx ultra and am looking at gigging professionally, so I'm extra interested in this marvelous device. I just had a few questions though. :?:

Does the Ultra effectively serve as an amp head if connected to an amp speaker cabinet?
Is there any situation that an amp would be a better option?
Does the Ultra use/need any power sources besides its power chord?
In order to preserve its memory does the Ultra run passively on a battery- does it run even when turned off in a similar fashion to a computer?
Does the Ultra sync (pick up/transmit to anything like a computer?)
I've heard that the Ultra lacks a headphone jack - is this true? If so, what is needed in order to use headphones with the unit?
What are the best kinds of speakers for the axe-fx ultra?
How different is the Ultra compared to the standard and is it worth getting over the standard?

All help and suggestions are very appreciated :)

Xereth said:
Hello,

I'm really interested in the idea of the fractal axe-fx ultra and am looking at gigging professionally, so I'm extra interested in this marvelous device. I just had a few questions though. :?:

Does the Ultra effectively serve as an amp head if connected to an amp speaker cabinet?
No. You need to connect the Axe-FX to some sort of power amp to drive the speaker cabinet. This can be either a tube power amp, or a solid state one. If the speaker cabinet is a full-range type like a PA speaker, then a full range amp may be required.

Xereth said:
Is there any situation that an amp would be a better option?
Depends what the situation is. Personally I find that the only time an amp is an easier option for me is when I want a very very quick grab and go combo for spontaneously organised jams at my mates house where we have a limited time to do it. Otherwise, Axe-FX works for everything else for me.

Xereth said:
Does the Ultra use/need any power sources besides its power chord?
Yes - but only if you are powering a supported MIDI pedal via a 7-PIN DIN (MIDI) cable.

Xereth said:
In order to preserve its memory does the Ultra run passively on a battery- does it run even when turned off in a similar fashion to a computer?
Its memory is supported by a battery that has a rated life of 10 years. Though this is supposedly a conservative estimate based on recommendations made on this board. Do a search on battery to find out.

Xereth said:
Does the Ultra sync (pick up/transmit to anything like a computer?)
Yes - it can sync using MIDI and a MIDI breakout box. If you mean can it sync via formats like s/pdif or AES/EBU, it can, but it must be the master clock and it is locked at 24 bit, 48kHz.

Xereth said:
I've heard that the Ultra lacks a headphone jack - is this true? If so, what is needed in order to use headphones with the unit?
The unit does not have a dedicated headphone output. To use it with headphones, a Headphone amplifier with XLR or 1/4 inch input jacks may be required. Otherwise a hardware mixer, or in my case an M-AUDIO Microtrack II which can connect via s/pdif, works well (except the M-Audio has now fallen over in battery life).

Xereth said:
What are the best kinds of speakers for the axe-fx ultra?
That is a matter of opinion. Do a search on this forum and you will see the many ways people are amplifying their Axe-FX. Personally I find if you want to get the most from the Axe-FX, then some form of flat response full range (ie 20Hz to 20kHz with very little frequency bumps or dips, ie flat) speaker is best IMHO. Usually PA speakers annd moreso, Studio monitors, approach these values the closest (while never truly achieving them IMHO).

Xereth said:
How different is the Ultra compared to the standard and is it worth getting over the standard?
They are basically the same in shape and form factor. All that varies is the Ultra has more processing power, and a couple of additional effects like Multiband compression and monophonic synth and vocoder.

Xereth said:
All help and suggestions are very appreciated :)

No problems. Best of luck in choosing your path to great tone.

TimmyM

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but i am also a noob.
i want to pair up the ultra with a mesa boogie 2:100 or 2:90,
and i want to use the smart power voicings without buying
additional midi gear. can the ultra be programmed to
trigger, for example, the 2:100's 'modern' voicing via one
of the expression pedal jacks?

this is pretty much the only issue i have with buying the ultra
now that i have enough saved up. :mrgreen:

thanks!

larry said:
i don't mean to hijack this thread, but i am also a noob.
i want to pair up the ultra with a mesa boogie 2:100 or 2:90,
and i want to use the smart power voicings without buying
additional midi gear. can the ultra be programmed to
trigger, for example, the 2:100's 'modern' voicing via one
of the expression pedal jacks?

this is pretty much the only issue i have with buying the ultra
now that i have enough saved up. :mrgreen:

thanks!

I was a noob once too. :D

The ultra does not have the ability to trigger changes in amplifier relay switches using the expression pedal jacks. The expression pedal inputs are solely for that purpose. Expression pedals, be they momentary or latching switches, or continuous expression pedals (ala Wah/volume style).

To do this you will either need to buy a MIDI controlled relay switcher, or a MIDI footpedal that can do this at the same time as send MIDI commands to the Ultra.

TimmyM

larry said:
hmm, that kinda sucks but i'm gonna buy one anyway.

thanks!!!

Relay switching is too niche really for the Ultra to have functionality.

You will probably be able to do something similar though in the amp model block.
To my ears raising the depth control and low freq resonance together gets very, very close to the mesa deep switch- and I use a VHT power amp that has no such functionality.
No relay switching required.

Seriously- try to think of a way of doing what you want inside the axe.
You want more low end/depth- you can totally do that in the box.

Back
Top Bottom