Question on Atomic Reactor FRFR volume

Ben Randolph

Power User
Hey all,

I've had a pair of Atomic Reactor FRFR powered cabs for about 4 years now. I also have a pair of Equator D8 nearfield monitors.

Since I've owned the Atomics, I usually keep volume and tone at about noon. They sound great, but one quibble I've always had with them is that they seem to have an exaggerated bass response compared to my Equators. My Equators are pretty transparent, so I'm pretty sure this is coming from the Atomics, not my AxeFX patches.

On a whim, a few days ago I turned the volume on the Atomics up all the way. After adjusting the AxeFX's output to compensate, I noticed that the bass response on the Atomics seems to be tamed slightly. The low end seems tighter, to my ears.

Is there any downside to running the Atomics this way? Is there any reason why the low end would clean up, or is it just my imagination?

I wouldn't think you would be any risk of damage running it that way, I've done the same with many power amps with no issues. On a separate note, do you have the Atomic's on the floor? If so, getting them off the floor would help reduce the bass and give you better dispersion.

I have them stacked on top of each other, with the bottom one on the floor. It's more an issue of room, but I understand your point about lifting them off the floor. Maybe I could get a flat stand that's up off the floor and stack them on it.

Back
Top Bottom