Question of proper AXE EQ values for amps that don't have them

mtmartin71

Experienced
Few examples of this...

Swart - just has a tone, no TMB and no presence. Not sure if the tone is a hi-cut type or one that adds treble as you increase. Axe has a hi-cut.
Orange RV50 - no presence
AC30 - no mid control or presence, but the hi-cut matches

Now with MIMIC, what is the value that these should be set at for the amp "default"? Is it "0" or "5" or something else? I've been going under the assumptions that "5" is default for TMB where the original doesn't have it and "0" is the default for presence where the original doesn't have it.

It would be cool if some day you had the option only expose the controls the real amp has and allow tone adjustments like the real amp but I can certainly live without that.

I think that any tone controls that don't exist on the actual amp are to be left at 5 to replicate their non-existence... except presence/depth, which would be left on zero.

If an amp has just "Tone" then that's mapped to Treble. Leave bass and mid at noon.

Cliff, thanks for the response. What about the presence/high-cut? If those aren't available on the real deal, leave those at "0" to stay true to the amp controls?

If they don't have a presence/hi-cut that should be set to zero. The lone exception is the Blues Jr. That amp has a fixed presence circuit. IIRC it's equivalent to about 2.5 on the presence knob.

What about the lonestar that has a weird presence control
wich is not located in the feedback loop ?
Does the presence control in the axe simulate this passive
post distortion tone control ?

IMHO that stuff should really go into the manual...

Where it should really go is in a separate window in Axe-Edit in the new version. Perhaps at the bottom of the current gui. it would be an in app help guide of sorts (like labview for its individual blocks or vi's). You could click on presence in the amp block and it would give info on what presence is and then state and special information about the currently selected amp's presence. Obviously this window could be closed and turned off to speed Axe-Edit up, but it would be extremely useful. Clicking on an amp will tell you a variety of info including the default settings, the recommended cabinets, etc. I have learned a lot of amp specific controls by just reading these forums but I forget more than I remember. Now if i go and start searching the forum and the wiki (yek does a good job there) i can find it most of the time, but it not near as nice, convenient, and concurrent ad it being built it. Hopefully this functionality will be in version 3.0.

Back
Top Bottom