Question about tweaking presets

This is geared more toward the PA/Cab users, but any guidance is more than welcome.

Whenever you guys are tweaking your tones or auditioning amp models for potential live use, are you turned up loud? And is this necessary?

I've tried to tweak some presets before with my PA turned down and my Axe Fx output maxed out, but they just don't translate very well once I turn up the PA to gig volume.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

This is a common problem with tweaking preset at low volume which is due to the Flecture Munson effect. Do a Google search and read up on it.

Basically, as you increase volume (we're talking SPL here), the human perceives low and high frequencies as more prominent. At lower volumes, low and high frequencies are less prominent and so you tend to over compensate on bass and treble. So the moment you turn up to gig volume, the bass and treble just get louder and your midrange starts to dissappear. This usually results in your guitar being lost in the mix

Thanks for the replies so far, I looked at the Fletcher-Munson Curve section on the Axe Wiki and familiarized myself with the content, seems logical.

With that being said, are there any "tips and tricks" to tweak at a low level?

I live in an apartment so I unfortunately can't be cranked up for too long before I get a knock at the door..

Whenever you guys are tweaking your tones or auditioning amp models for potential live use, are you turned up loud? And is this necessary?

Yes, and yes!

I find if I don't set the patch up at live volumes then I disappear in the mix as soon as I turn up. The other thing I've noticed is that I have too much effect on my patches, particularly reverb.

Do you use different presets for live playing and practise at home with low level or headphone?

The most time I tweak a "normal" level or headphone, only when the house is empty and the family has gone, I turn up.

Do you use different presets for live playing and practise at home with low level or headphone?

The most time I tweak a "normal" level or headphone, only when the house is empty and the family has gone, I turn up.

I'm kind of lazy so I use the same presets for both live and practice.

Back
Top Bottom