Q3.01 to 2.04 conversion?

edo

Power User
Vendor
I've finally installed 3.01 which feels great (and sounds great too) but it made pretty much all my patches a little crunchier and darker. I had dyn presence set to 2.3 before the update (which defaults at 0), so I assume I have to set that back to 2.3. How about xfmr grind? It defaults to 1, is that the equivalent of the "hidden value" before this parameter was available? Or what would that be?

after a little a/b comparison with a clip I recorded before updating fw, I'm quite sure that q3.01 with the settings I mentioned in the OP does not sound like 2.04 at equal settings. Has anybody found a way to make it sound identical?

There was no hidden or default value for xfrmr grind.

I guess start at zero and just dial it in by ear.

Yeah I know, I was asking if there's a magic number to set it as if it was equal to 2.04, but I guess that dyn presence is already much different on its own.. 2.30 seems way too much compared to previous fw. Don't know, I like the feel of the new fw, but the idea to go through all 162 presets and fix 5 scenes each kind of makes me feel sick!! :)

@edo , I think I asked you this before, did you ever measure the resistance of the pick-ups in your Edge Signature Strat? Curious to know if they are hotter than my CS-69's, which might explain why you find your presets too 'crunchy' now.

The CS-69's are about 5.8k and I find with your posted settings in your Iris thread, that the AC30TB finally has that edge of break-up tone. I wasn't sure what to do with the Xfmr Grind so I set it to 2.3, like the Dyn. Presence...didn't seem to make too much of a difference.

Just a thought???

hi toopy, i havent measured my actual edge strats, but as far as i know fat50's are around 6.2k and fs1 should be 13k - 14k, can't remember the exact number

Yeah I know, I was asking if there's a magic number to set it as if it was equal to 2.04, but I guess that dyn presence is already much different on its own.. 2.30 seems way too much compared to previous fw. Don't know, I like the feel of the new fw, but the idea to go through all 162 presets and fix 5 scenes each kind of makes me feel sick!! :)

Dynamic Presence is identical to 2.04. So the natural conclusion would be to simply set Transformer Grind to zero.

Dynamic Presence is identical to 2.04. So the natural conclusion would be to simply set Transformer Grind to zero.

Is it?? wow, I could swear that dyn pres at 2.3 on q2.04 sounded much more subtle than it does on 3.01.. are grind and dyn pres somehow related, in the sense that changing one is going to affect the other?

hi toopy, i havent measured my actual edge strats, but as far as i know fat50's are around 6.2k and fs1 should be 13k - 14k, can't remember the exact number

Hey Edo.

Definitely hotter than the CS69's. The AIWIY clip I did, has the Input Drive higher than your IRIS settings and I also used the SDD in front of the amp.

I wonder though if the FS-1 is unwound, like Dallas (or maybe Edge) mentioned in an article years ago? If I recall, there is a way to measure the resistance of pick-ups in a Strat, without removing them...(Google search)...Yip...there is! It works too, just tried it on my Strat;

"Here's a fast way to measure the approximate (within a couple of percent) DC resistance of your pickups without having to take anything apart on the guitar. All you need is a multimeter and a patch cable. Insert the patch cable into the guitar, turn the guitar's pickup selector switch to activate the pickup you wish to measure, turn the volume pot all the way up, and then contact one meter probe to the tip of the exposed cable plug and the other to the shaft below the insulating ring. You've now completed a circuit through that pickup and by turning your multimeter to the expected resistance range (I use the 20K range setting on my cheapo Rat Shack meter), you'll be able to read the pickup's resistance."

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/8311-Quick-n-Dirty-Pickup-Resistance-Measurement

Hey Edo.

Definitely hotter than the CS69's. The AIWIY clip I did, has the Input Drive higher than your IRIS settings and I also used the SDD in front of the amp.

I wonder though if the FS-1 is unwound, like Dallas (or maybe Edge) mentioned in an article years ago? If I recall, there is a way to measure the resistance of pick-ups in a Strat, without removing them...(Google search)...Yip...there is! It works too, just tried it on my Strat;

"Here's a fast way to measure the approximate (within a couple of percent) DC resistance of your pickups without having to take anything apart on the guitar. All you need is a multimeter and a patch cable. Insert the patch cable into the guitar, turn the guitar's pickup selector switch to activate the pickup you wish to measure, turn the volume pot all the way up, and then contact one meter probe to the tip of the exposed cable plug and the other to the shaft below the insulating ring. You've now completed a circuit through that pickup and by turning your multimeter to the expected resistance range (I use the 20K range setting on my cheapo Rat Shack meter), you'll be able to read the pickup's resistance."

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/8311-Quick-n-Dirty-Pickup-Resistance-Measurement

Yes, I know how to measure a pickup!! lol I just don't have the multimeter here, it's at the studio and I always forget to take it home! I'm going to the studio tomorrow, so hopefully I'll remember and will let you know

Followup to previous comment: Nevermind, I still think that dyn presence sounds different from 2.04, but the xfmr grind is badass, so I'll live with that!

Is it?? wow, I could swear that dyn pres at 2.3 on q2.04 sounded much more subtle than it does on 3.01.. are grind and dyn pres somehow related, in the sense that changing one is going to affect the other?

They are unrelated. You only think Dynamic Presence sounds less subtle because someone said that and now there's group-think going on.

Followup to previous comment: Nevermind, I still think that dyn presence sounds different from 2.04, but the xfmr grind is badass, so I'll live with that!

Weren't you using 2.04 with 2.01 modelling? Was Dyn. Pres. the same between those two versions?

They are unrelated. You only think Dynamic Presence sounds less subtle because someone said that and now there's group-think going on.

I swear I have not read that. In fact I have not read much about q3 at all. But again, if you say it's identical then it must be, although I could prove with a clip that it's not, unless 30 minutes ago my "tone in the fingers" was different! lol

I swear I have not read that. In fact I have not read much about q3 at all. But again, if you say it's identical then it must be, although I could prove with a clip that it's not, unless 30 minutes ago my "tone in the fingers" was different! lol
Agreed. I'm sure your qualitative and not paying much attention to the documentation assessment is much more reliable than the designer's detailed internal knowledge of the implementation in this scenario. LOLZ.

If you believe that to be true, then post a clip. It is not common but in the past at least one person has copped some flack for questioning something only to be proved right.

I stand corrected. I just put 2.04 and 3.01 side-by-side and Dynamic Presence is way more pronounced in 3.01. Not sure why, I copied the function directly from the 2.04 build. Regardless, Transformer Grind is what you want to get that top-end sizzle. Dynamic Presence is one of my "Inverse Homomorphic" filters and only approximates the dynamic presence boost found in some amps. Transformer Grind is an authentic model of what actually happens in those amps.

it's still useful though, for amps where xformer grind doesn't have much effect

i'm glad i wasn't going bonkers, btw

Back
Top Bottom