PRS S2 594s!

So I've got a Core 594, a Private Stock 594, and an SE Hollowbody. The 594 is the first non-Les Paul I've played that delivers the goods for me as a Les Paul alternative. Great guitars. The reason I mention the SE Hollowbody is that it has the same pickups as the S2 594. If the SE Hollowbody is any indication, you won't be disappointed.
You had me on the edge of my seat right up to the last sentence! :D

I had my eye on that hollowbody as well, I don’t currently have one. If I went McCarty I’d likely want to replace my Les Paul but if I went hollow I’d keep it. I do wish both guitars had the locking tuners out of the factory though.

I had my eye on that hollowbody as well, I don’t currently have one. If I went McCarty I’d likely want to replace my Les Paul but if I went hollow I’d keep it. I do wish both guitars had the locking tuners out of the factory though.

I ordered locking tuners for the SE Hollowbody during the holidays when stuff in the store was on sale. Replaced the knobs too.

I ordered locking tuners for the SE Hollowbody during the holidays when stuff in the store was on sale. Replaced the knobs too.
Oddly, even the core 594s won't have locking tuners for 2020. That's just bizarre to me, and runs contrary to the "best of the vintage instrument with the best of the new era" credo that's been driving these. No huge deal, you can replace them with the locking ones, but on a $4000 and up guitar, should you have to? I've expressed the concerns to PRS, and haven't heard a musical reason for the change. I think it's just to make the hardware consistent across the platform.

Both my 594s have locking tuners, so I am in no position to complain. As for their comparison to the Les Paul... well, I sold a really nice LP after getting these. The SC594 is actually a better Les Paul than my Les Paul was. And I loved that guitar, so that's saying a lot.

They're going to sell a boatload of these S2s.

Locking tuners? They are nice, but not necessary, IMHO. I have not had an issue with modern non-locking or even Fender/Kluson slotted tuners and tuning stability through normal playing or even through mild to average twang bar twiddling, provided the strings are attached properly....

Locking tuners? They are nice, but not necessary, IMHO. I have not had an issue with modern non-locking or even Fender/Kluson slotted tuners and tuning stability through normal playing or even through mild to average twang bar twiddling, provided the strings are attached properly....

It's all about string changing for me :)

PRS locking tuners are wonderful so I just would prefer to have them on every instrument if possible.

Back
Top Bottom