PRS Guitars

Dude. Either sarcasm or severely mistargeted buying habits.

A little of both. maybe. Something about PRS guitars that I don't like.
I also don't like strats, but I have two... well, three if you count a non-Fender Mercurio as a Strat. Nor Ibanez, but I have an RG-something

I haven't played either of my LPs since I got the S2 just when they were released. Lately I've only been playing the P22 and my Tele.

Sevenstringer is selling a used (but man it looks pristine), USA-made Mira for $700 on here -- that's a HELLUVA deal for a USA-made PRS.

That's actually a Mira X, which is made of different woods than the regular Mira and has a few other differences as well. PRS only made them for a couple of years, I think, but I guess they weren't very popular. They were priced less than the regular Mira, and $700 is a bit on the high end from what I've seen that model sell for used.

tonemeister said:
I am wondering what you all think is the best PRS in the $700-$1500 range. New or used?

For that price range I'd say your best best is a used USA "Core" model (not the USA S2 or Korean SE line). Almost all the PRS I've owned were bought used and fell into that price range. As far as which model, it really depends on what sound/feel etc, you're looking for. What did you have in mind?

As a Rush fan, you may want to try out a CE24, which was one of Alex's main gigging models in the 90's. He had at least 3 or 4 of them that he gigged with regularly. They're kinda like a super Strat but better (IMO, of course). You can pick them up in the lower part of your price range. Pickups are easy enough to swap if you don't like them, but I'm pretty sure Alex used the stock pickups.

Let us know what kind of thing you're looking for and I'm sure we can chime in with more targeted recommendations for you.

I have to wonder what GC's move will do to the PRS used market. They did the same thing to cymbols a few years back and it took quite a long time for prices to adjust.

Not trying to piss on anyone's FS thread, just saying GC has a lot of sway in such things.

I have to wonder what GC's move will do to the PRS used market. They did the same thing to cymbols a few years back and it took quite a long time for prices to adjust. Not trying to piss on anyone's FS thread, just saying GC has a lot of sway in such things.

What's the context here? GC = Guitar Centre? What's there move?

This was not the thread I needed to see. Now I have massive GAS for a PRS.

I am on my second PRS. My first was a CE-22 that I sold back in 2008 to buy the Les Paul that you see in my Avatar. The CE22 was a great guitar, but it was never what I really wanted. I found and purchased "that" PRS a few months later. A (then) flawless emerald green 2002 Custom-24 "ten" top w/ birds. It has been my go-to guitar ever since. I love it! Mine has the 5-way rotary switch, but so did my CE22. It is something I've gotten used to. I actually really like the HFS pickups - I am not sure why people are down on them?? There are a lot of opinions out there about why you should or should not buy a PRS, but the truth is, once you've found one that checks all of your boxes, it is nearly impossible to beat! Good luck with whatever you end up buying!

I've been hearing that GC is blowing out a lot of PRS inventory. However, I have not seen anything to indicate this at all.

ummm, really? heres the link
GuitarCenter
like I said, I bought my brand new custom 24 for $1400 on clearance, flipped it pretty quick and made a couple hundred. PRS isn't really my thing

Sounds obvious but I guess I really need to just go to a GC and try and play as many as possible to get a feel for the line. I was totally just gonna make an impulse buy but given how many different looks and options there are I don't think I can just buy without more hands on research.

Sounds obvious but I guess I really need to just go to a GC and try and play as many as possible to get a feel for the line. I was totally just gonna make an impulse buy but given how many different looks and options there are I don't think I can just buy without more hands on research.

Exactly what I would do... they have a descent amount of options and variation to the point you should be able to find something close to what fits you in their line.. I spent a few hours a few weeks back trying out 4-5 DGT models a local shop had to get a feel for the more recently built models. Well worth doing...

Back
Top Bottom