Programmer uses Python to graph what songs were recorded using click tracks

When we used sequencing / click live (full lighting rig and patch changes etc all automated), I would map out and replicate all those natural feel and tempo changes for every song too :cool:

Thank goodness there was a library to use for it. Wow! Pretty amazing. I'm impressed with what programmers can accomplish with even a very short program.

Early RUSH albums, too.

Can you imagine YES to a click track?! (Well, at least, classic YES, anyway)

I never really thought about this before. But it makes perfect sense. In classical music and composition tempo changes are used quite a bit, I didn't even realize it till I was reading this that I tend to use them quite a bit.

When we used sequencing / click live (full lighting rig and patch changes etc all automated), I would map out and replicate all those natural feel and tempo changes for every song too :cool:

I strongly agree with this - when trying to make midi beats I as well try to maintain variations in tempo. I find it is difficult to accurately model in DAW's, but I have typically resorted to differentiating verses and chorus with slightly off tempos. If I had a lot of free time, I would make even better gradual changes and nuances within certain choruses and verses.

On a personal note, i've found static BPM's on click tracks / backing tracks gets very stale!

The Rush track is interesting. Neil often plays along to keyboard sequences but the bands live monitor engineer stated in an interview that the band doesn't use click tracks. Could it just be he's able to lock down a tempo when it's needed?

I think its better sounding to use a tempo map derived from a live performance; even for dance music.

You get all the benefits of measure markers in the DAW but with a more natural feel.

It's a little tedious to figure out the Beat Detective in Pro Tools but it does work. We usually start with an acoustic guitar / vocal guide track to make the tempo map from.

No click track makes things a bit of a pain to record -- difficult to cut&paste pieces. :lol

It would be fun to take the next step and analyze when and where tempo goes up and/or down in relationship to verse chorus etc., in commercially successful songs..

I think its better sounding to use a tempo map derived from a live performance; even for dance music.

Good point with the dance music note. Yes, even EDM benefits greatly from tempo variations within a track. As a gigging trance producer/DJ for nearly 15 years, I'm constantly adjusting bpm throughout an entire set. It's amazing how just +/- 2bpm can drastically change the overall feel of a track. The audience will never ever notice, but it's there and so very important. I don't work tempo fluctuations into original tracks though; leave it for the live performances.

Of course, kids these days have no idea with their auto-everything software.

+1, thanks a lot for sharing this! I'm trying to provide a package of this for my linux distro of choice :)

Back
Top Bottom