Pro Tools and AXE II

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
Just being careful here. I have a major recording session coming up in a few days. I have PT 9, but it's not my regular DAW of choice. I'm going to a studio that uses PT 8. I'm just wondering since I've never really recorded with PT and the II are there any issues? It will be a HD PT so no concern with aggregate stuff. I'll install the driver. But I'm going to try splitting the the inputs so I can do a dry for reamp at 96k instead of the 48. Any gotchas or concerns? AXEII is compatible with PT8? Thanks!

The AxeII is locked at 48k. As for HD PT 8, I'm not sure. I know with my M-Audio PT8 LE it's locked down to the M-Audio hardware and can't use the Axe's USB. I do everything SPDIF.

Have fun!

I have PT 10.

I have the AxeFx II patched in with USB, S/PDIF and analog.

I use analog mostly for tracking unless I'm just goofing with soundcloud example stuff.

Richard

I have PT HD7. Go analog its the best sample rate conversion you'll get. Don't bother trying to go digital. With decent convertors you won't notice. I usulaly track mono. Get massive sounds with the AxeII. I often use the bright character knob on the amp page instead of neutral. You can EQ from inside the Axe to get it to sight right in the mix.

James

PT8 is hardware dependent so you wouldn't be able to record over USB with the Axe II, but I don't think you were looking to do that anyway. Going analog in is the way to go...then you don't have to worry about sample rate. I haven't tried reamping using the analog route, but I remember others here having success.

OK, I guess I needed to be more clear. Thanks for all that chimed in! It was late and I was typing in bed on my iPad. Brevity.

I only record analog. That's not the issue. But I do like to record a usb track dry in ADDITION to the analog tracking. This is for reamping, if I need to, later. This I know I can only do at 48k. If PT 8 can't do this, that's fine. I'll go back to my old way of using my Millennia TD-1 DI to split the inputs and record at 96k both wet and dry. It's just noisier than the USB route.

I like to use SPDIF to record my dry track for reamping. I don't have to worry about anything including levels. I use analog Out 2 to monitor a wet sound as I record. In your case it would be your wet take. Then if I reamp, send the dry track back via SPDIF. A lot of ways and personal preferences though.

I don't use the USB for anything other than throw away demos.

S/PDIF or analog for anything I want to keep.

You should be able to get all shunts, i.e. a str8 out, plus wet at the same time all analog. This would take a separate row in the grid that terminates in the FX Loop for outputing the dry track.

Richard

BTW I've had a .lot of keepers using the USB for the dry track.

The USB sound quality is fine. I'm on a PC, so it limits my use of any other interfaces at the same time as the AxeFx in ProTools. I just leave the analog patched in because all my other outboard gear is the same.

Here is a mock up of a preset with the idea of all analog. I don't have access to my studio right now so can't test it out for real.

Richard

Thanks. Now can you tell me what I'm looking at and how I implement this? I take it I have to apply this on every preset, obviously. So the efx loop goes to where? I don't see how to set them to outputs. Wait. It comes out of output2 Efx 2! Yes?

Last edited:
Sounds really stupid but it works great! Thank you. Awesome. I'll have to check for noise, but I think this is good to go!

Back
Top Bottom