Pro Audio 1U ss Power amp review

joegold said:
Do you happen to know if the Crown XTi 1000 is in the class as the D-75A, as far as transparency, quality, etc.?
I wish I could answer that definitively, but I can't. Some Class D topologies are extremely transparent and linear, but others are much less so. Crown has expanded their product line downward in price over the years, and I have no experience with the newest or least expensive models. I do know that at least one of their Class D professional product lines produces substantially different responses above ~14kHz with different speaker loads. Unfortunately, it appears that they have largely abandoned Class A/B designs.

bmi said:
Is there any online Bible so i can check what you say?
http://www.biblegateway.com/

paulmapp8306 said:
enough with the bible quotes (at least Im assuming thats what they are) I have NO clue what they are, being a scientist by heart and therefore a non believer.
I have no desire to spark conflict, but I have to say that being a scientist and a believer are not mutually exclusive.

Terry.

Jay Mitchell said:
joegold said:
Do you happen to know if the Crown XTi 1000 is in the class as the D-75A, as far as transparency, quality, etc.?
I wish I could answer that definitively, but I can't. Some Class D topologies are extremely transparent and linear, but others are much less so. Crown has expanded their product line downward in price over the years, and I have no experience with the newest or least expensive models. I do know that at least one of their Class D professional product lines produces substantially different responses above ~14kHz with different speaker loads. Unfortunately, it appears that they have largely abandoned Class A/B designs.

I didn't realize that XTi series was Class D.
Are you sure about that?
Can't see any mention of the Class type in their specs.

I've never tried the XTi 1000 but I do have a XTi 4000 and I'm not a big fan.

When speaking with Crown, they will boast that the XTi 4000 should put out the same power as the CE4000 (which I also have).

I have A/B'd the CE4000 vs. the XTi 4000 with recorded music (with my PA Eq set flat).
For powering subs the XTi is 'ok'. When powering tops (JBL SR4732A's) the CE4000 sounds fat and smooth with recorded music. When I swap over to the XTi, it gets very brittle and harsh (in comparison to the CE4000).

No science in my comparison...just using my ears.

OK - Spoke to Mike tonight (8pm Friday evening here) on his personal mobile so he couldnt swerve me :)

The first 30 units of the Pro-Audio amps are build, boxed, labelled up and are waiting to be dispatched First thing Monday morning. They hope to get the remaining 50 back orders filled and despatched by the end of August. New orders placed wil have a maximum 21 day lead time.

Its been a long road for them - and for me too as Ive been impressed by the product and tried to get it "out there" (I feel a bit responsible for thoses who have ordered and paid for one but not yet received it) but not long now.

As soon as I get mine, and a little "me" time (as opposed to family time) Ill get a video up.

Cheers

joegold said:
Jay Mitchell said:
joegold said:
I didn't realize that XTi series was Class D.
Are you sure about that?
Positive. Read this: http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/137234.pdf. Crown's "Class I" is a variant on switched-output (aka "Class D") amplifier topology.

OK. Thanks.

How 'bout one of these?
http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/OtherPowerAmplifiers/2BLP-BROCHURE.pdf

I'd be using it in mono bridged for 200watts into 8ohms.
For stereo I'd haver 2 of them.
Is that power amp good enough to *accurately* reproduce the Axe into both guitar speakers and FRFR speakers?

Jay Mitchell said:
joegold said:
That's about as good as they get. Whether 200 watts is sufficient is the only question. With a relatively high-sensitivity speaker like your EV, my guess is that it will be plenty.

Is that power amp good enough to *accurately* reproduce the Axe into both guitar speakers and FRFR speakers?
Unquestionably.

Thats a pricey little dude

No doubt... @ $1,600 + for 60 watts a side, no thanks I can think of other amps that can fit the bill for a lot less. The 20 year warranty is really nice though.

Yeh.. It looks like they still haven't received the Pro Audio Amp or they are enjoying is so much they forgot the world.

(NBN) News badly Needed

paulmapp8306 said:
I used a custom xilla 2x12 3/4 back cab loaded with a V30 and a G12H.

Pro-Audio is the brand of the amps. There beig build by Class-d audio. They already have a lot of fingers in componants and speaker cabs - this is kind of a new venture for them.

Link:

http://www.class-d.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=6

Believe me a LOT will be heard from this product - particularly in the Axe community :)

Hi! I am surprised you are using a 3/4 back cab? I thought a closed back cab is the cab of choice for modelling???? Again, I am not going off experience. From others on digital modelling forums having recommended a closed back to me. With most cabs however, such as my 212 cabs, I prefer partial open back cabs. I find they are more easily heard on stage. :)

I was close to giving up on a SS power amp till I saw this post. Do you know where to buy them in the US? How much is US dollars? I don't see any used anywhere. :(
Is it a European company?

Sound like htese are the real deal!

I was surprised in this post to see so many people using regular guitar speakers with neutral SS power amps. Isn't the ideal typically to use a SS power amp and a neutral cab or FRFR cab such as the Fractal Audio cab? Obvioudly for me it would be easier to use my standard guitar cabs as most of us own.
I guess one way around this is to run one line out to the PA with cabinet sims and one to the onstage cab with cab sims off. :)

richedie said:
Jay Mitchell said:
richedie said:
I always thought a closed back cab is the cab of choice for modelling????
You always thought wrong, then.
Are you always so helpful?

:lol: :lol: :lol: that's funny...

My kids used to like Dora the Explorer... and there was this character that would come out on the show. He wouldn't allow Dora to cross the bridge until they solved his riddle...

The problem is, no one has solved his riddle yet... ;)

Riddle???? He can not even rime. His language is from another planet. Low EQ, I think. Happens to a lot of people.

BTW. Do not order this amp yet! Wait till you get uncolored feedback from some users.

richedie said:
Jay Mitchell said:
richedie said:
I always thought a closed back cab is the cab of choice for modelling????
You always thought wrong, then.
Are you always so helpful?

Obviously your new to the Axe forum and haven't spent any time over at The Gear Page to have an encounter with Jay. As an FYI Jay is of an Alien intelligence and there for not subject to certain communicable protocols. His consciousness exists on another plain and his logic is hard to decipher at times but I can guarantee you his intensions are honorable. :mrgreen: ;)

Try not raise the flags of discontent to high.

DADA said:
Riddle???? He can not even rime. His language is from another planet. Low EQ, I think. Happens to a lot of people.
BTW. Do not order this amp yet! Wait till you get uncolored feedback from some users.

I recognize that you probably mean well by advising someone to not make a purchase based on a single recommendation, but the reputation of Bryston can be established objectively.

PS: The answer to the riddle may just be "relax." What you see as ruffling, I see as closer in potential to the action of a biologist removing crude from the feathers of an oil-laden Pelican. Read past the words and try to recognize that if you could all sit down and have a chat/coffee, you'd make fast friends -- you have a LOT more in common than in difference.

Back
Top Bottom