Pro Audio 1U and 2U Power Amps

Another strange thing is why would they put RCA connections on the amp if they are aiming for the "Pro" market? Its a good thing Lightning had those 1/4" to RCA adaptors in his gig bag. And why would they abandon the "Pro Audio" market for the guitar market? It all sounds very confusing. I also don't quite understand the concept of making 1U and 2U amps with the same power output. How many people would want a 2U amp if the 1U does the same thing? I would buy one tomorrow if I felt it was for real. If they don't answer their phone or return emails, then I would stay far far away. I hope I am wrong. Lightning seems to know them pretty well if they were at his gig. Perhaps he can clear this up.

Penge said:
Another strange thing is why would they put RCA connections on the amp if they are aiming for the "Pro" market? Its a good thing Lightning had those 1/4" to RCA adaptors in his gig bag. And why would they abandon the "Pro Audio" market for the guitar market? It all sounds very confusing. I also don't quite understand the concept of making 1U and 2U amps with the same power output. How many people would want a 2U amp if the 1U does the same thing? I would buy one tomorrow if I felt it was for real. If they don't answer their phone or return emails, then I would stay far far away. I hope I am wrong. Lightning seems to know them pretty well if they were at his gig. Perhaps he can clear this up.

Sounds like they haven't made up their mind yet as to what market they want to go after... As far as inputs go I would have put xlr/trs combo connectors on the back and called it good.

With the lack of response and support from a company that is building their own amps makes one think twice about owning the product.

Penge said:

I think the original market they intended was PA/DJ/Install where those connections would have been nescessary. They have however had alot of interest in their product (through here) so obviously would be wise to consider all markets and options. These amps are built to order (at the moment) so I would think that specifying phono or jack inputs would be something for them to look at. Just speculating, but maybe the 2U amps would be used in harsher enviroments where bigger fans were needed.....?? Maybe they're putting their efforts into the 1U line?

I do agree that the ProAudio website is very outdated now. I've been dealing with these chaps through their PA business. www.class-d.com Maybe a kick up the arse is all thats needed, they are very genuine guys who've been very helpful with me so can't comment really on them not answering emails etc

Hope this helps a bit guys :oops:

i have spoken to them a few times over the last 6 months. TBH there arnt many of them there - so busy building/designing things. They dont have a reception anf the phones in the workshop I believe.

Also - ref the 1U v 2U thing, from what I recall the transformers are different on the two versions. The 2Us are heavier toroidal transformers, the 1U have lighter transformers (not sure what type - it was explained but that was a while ago).

i may have to try one - maybe my VHT 2:50:2 will be kicked into touch. TBH at the asking price its probably a no brainer(for those in the UK) to try.

Hi, I have a 1200 1U on order too. They said to me that it can take a while to build them to order as their suppliers often cause a hold-up as they often don't carry the required parts in stock. I think they have been taken aback a little by the amount of interest they are getting.
A no-brainer for me to get one - they are quite light & v. cheap per watt (and I hope they sound as good to my ears).
Cheers.

SteveD said:
Hi, I have a 1200 1U on order too. They said to me that it can take a while to build them to order as their suppliers often cause a hold-up as they often don't carry the required parts in stock. I think they have been taken aback a little by the amount of interest they are getting.
A no-brainer for me to get one - they are quite light & v. cheap per watt (and I hope they sound as good to my ears).
Cheers.

Maybe you can let us all know when you receive it. I am not trying to put a downer on the company, I really hope they can supply what is advertised. If they do, I have no doubt they will do very very well.

paulmapp8306 said:
i have spoken to them a few times over the last 6 months. TBH there arnt many of them there - so busy building/designing things. They dont have a reception anf the phones in the workshop I believe.

Also - ref the 1U v 2U thing, from what I recall the transformers are different on the two versions. The 2Us are heavier toroidal transformers, the 1U have lighter transformers (not sure what type - it was explained but that was a while ago).

i may have to try one - maybe my VHT 2:50:2 will be kicked into touch. TBH at the asking price its probably a no brainer(for those in the UK) to try.

In the video they posted on ebay and youtube, they show the insides of the 1U and it looks like it has a pretty massive toroidal transformer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SPmX5L ... r_embedded

The real secret is in the MosFets they've designed. There's alot of people who are using their MOsFets in their gear (and alot more to come).

I honestly can't wait for mine. I've pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyma 12GA50 speakers to have a serious attempt at FRFR but after the sound I got the other night, I'm begining to wonder whether thats nescessary!!

@Penge....yeah the transformers pretty big, but the lightness of the thing is insane! Apparently they were saying they were trying to destroy one of the amps (as a test) by linking x10 8ohm speakers in series at the output.....thats a serious Ohm-age......the amp just wouldnt die! :twisted:

Sounds very good.
Unfortunately it seems that they really aren't able to answer their mails...
I am not the epitome of patience :D

Hehe, thx :)
I mailed to Mike and if he doesn't answer I'll choose Garry as my new victim.

Does it look the same as shown on their page?
PROAUDIO%20AMP%20PROTOTYPE.jpg

Yeah, pretty much. The power switch was red and the volume knobs were slighty different. (they were saying that thats been the hardest part...to source cheap knobs!! go figure!). The right hand side is where the transformer sits and the left the heat sinks and MosFets, which have some cool green and blue LED's inside. Back left are the speakon outputs, center the phono's and right of them the XLR inputs. Power lead input on the right side. As Paulmapp said, there are only 3 guys who work there (sometimes 2 with days off) so they do get a bit stretched.
Good luck!

Well, I Emailed him yesterday about going to try an amp - Im having an Axe-FX demo trip to the UK mainland over a long weekend and could do the Pro Audio Demo on the way home. ill have my Axe-FX VHT 2:50:2 rig and my 2x12 cab anyway.

I got a reply last night saying fine - just give them an ETA, so they do answer.

Looking forward to this trip greatly !!

Travelling overnight from NI to Liverpool on Friday night (next week), spending Saturday travelling down to Reading via some shops (Guitar Guitar Birmingham, Sounds Great Manchester, Oxford Guitar Gallery and World Guitars) to try some new guitars. having all day Sunday demoing the Axe - then travelling back to liverpool Via MTR Audio near Watford (to exchange my Stageclix wireless that has developed a fault) and then Pro-audio in Mansfield.

Looking forward to your report :)
Not that easy to give them an ETA. I live in Germany so I have to order the ProAudio without testing it before.
If your experience with the amp is also that good and they're able to build it with 1/4" inputs I'd take a chance.

Lightningboy said:
Apparently they were saying they were trying to destroy one of the amps (as a test) by linking x10 8ohm speakers in series at the output.....thats a serious Ohm-age......the amp just wouldnt die! :twisted:

10 x 8 Ohms in SERIES? that's not even a test. 80 Ohms? That should be an extremely easy load for any modern solid-state power amplifier. If that killed it, or even slightly stress it, it would be an extremely bad design!

Put all those speakers in parallel and try again, that way you'll get those amplifiers to heat up a bit.

S.R.

srooijens said:
Lightningboy said:
Apparently they were saying they were trying to destroy one of the amps (as a test) by linking x10 8ohm speakers in series at the output.....thats a serious Ohm-age......the amp just wouldnt die! :twisted:

10 x 8 Ohms in SERIES? that's not even a test. 80 Ohms? That should be an extremely easy load for any modern solid-state power amplifier. If that killed it, or even slightly stress it, it would be an extremely bad design!

Put all those speakers in parallel and try again, that way you'll get those amplifiers to heat up a bit.

S.R.

I'm sure they tested in parallel and that's what he meant to say. :) If you took 10x 8-ohm speaker cabinets and chained them all together thru the in/out jacks, you could logically call that as a series of speakers, even though that's parallel. I just can't see how any amp could survive at less than 1 ohm load!

srooijens said:
Lightningboy said:

S.R.

My bad! :oops:
Of course I meant parallel ;)

paulmapp8306 said:
Well, I Emailed him yesterday about going to try an amp - Im having an Axe-FX demo trip to the UK mainland over a long weekend and could do the Pro Audio Demo on the way home. ill have my Axe-FX VHT 2:50:2 rig and my 2x12 cab anyway.

I got a reply last night saying fine - just give them an ETA, so they do answer.

Looking forward to this trip greatly !!

Travelling overnight from NI to Liverpool on Friday night (next week), spending Saturday travelling down to Reading via some shops (Guitar Guitar Birmingham, Sounds Great Manchester, Oxford Guitar Gallery and World Guitars) to try some new guitars. having all day Sunday demoing the Axe - then travelling back to liverpool Via MTR Audio near Watford (to exchange my Stageclix wireless that has developed a fault) and then Pro-audio in Mansfield.

Give us a shout when you have an ETA for Mansfield, I'm in Sheffield (up the road) and could pop down, be nice to meet a fellow Axe-o-phile, should have my Beyma 12GA50's by then so you could try them out!

I emailed them a few days ago and told them if they could make me one at US 120 vac, with xlr/trs inputs and 1/4" outputs my wallet was open.

Lightningboy said:
Give us a shout when you have an ETA for Mansfield, I'm in Sheffield (up the road) and could pop down, be nice to meet a fellow Axe-o-phile, should have my Beyma 12GA50's by then so you could try them out!

pm'd

I know Sheffield - bourne and bred in Scunthorpe !! Spend many a day on the hills in Edale in my late teens/early twenties. Many tripps though Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom