Prevent FM3 Output knobs from moving

On the AX8 I normally run the knob at 50% (or as close as I can get). Then I have room to turn up if needed, which is rare. I also have volume controls on my cab so I can adjust my volume w/out affecting FOH.

Unless they'd gone with a completely different design I can't see where else the knobs would go. I may change my mind when I get it, but seems fine to me.
Yeah, they are fine where they are. And I like that they used small knobs for that.

what's better place for it?
I just think it looks like an afterthought, kinda tacked-on, out beyond the rails where it’s prone to take a beating or just get accidentally changed going in/out of a bag, indicators sloping away from you. Look, it ain’t gonna keep me from buying it, LOL, but it struck me as an odd choice.

Maybe a rubber band wrapped around both of them? Not a real worry for me since they sit back in my board protected from most all?

Nothing on the FM3 falls into this category. It took a ton of thought to get it down to this form factor and keep it as feature-rich and functional as it is.

I can appreciate that that’s true, and the FM3 is certainly a marvel. Mine is just an opinion. Everybody’s got one. 😄

...... Install an o-ring at the base of the knob. And press knob back on. Harder pressed gives more resistance to turn.

View attachment 66897View attachment 66898

I really like this idea and I have implemented it because I'm always adjusting the output 1 level between two settings (one level for when I use headphones and another level when I play live).
The potentiometer doesn't appear to be a panel mount and therefore, there is one lingering question in the back of my mind for the @FractalAudio crew:

Squeezing the o-ring (to increase rotational friction) will induce tension on the shaft of the potentiometer. What are the long term risks for the operation of the potentiometer and the mounting structure of the potentiometer if there is a 'pulling force' on the pot shaft?

Wondering what your thoughts are.

This ☝. I've put o-rings or rubber washers under other pedal knobs for years, usually it works fine but it is certainly creating upward pull on the pot shaft. I did have a few analog pots that didn't like this solution, they would cut out or crackle with too much up-pressure.

Knobs too close to the footswitch has always been a peeve of mine on regular analog pedals. These particular FM3 ones really aren't badly placed. I'm more worried about the 5 A to E knobs just above the footswitches, especially since they seem to be cheap wiggly plastic shafts. I do a lot of lead vocals and can't always look down at my foot for perfect stomping aim, so it's always been a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom