Power Conditioner for AX8

Ralph K

Inspired
Hey Folks,

What's the ideal power conditioner for the AX8, I am looking for a product that would protect if from surges, regulate the AC signal and eliminate noises (hum and groundloop).

regards,

I use the Furman AC-215A. It's not a voltage regulator though. Those are usually much bigger and heavier. It's a compromise for me. I can usually find them on-sale for <$110.

I don't believe the AC-215A has a true isolation transformer, just filtering. I've never had a ground loop issue before. I always use balanced cables and there is a ground lift switch on the AX8 to address problems with ground loops.

I've been researching this very question and keep coming back to the TripLite Isobar series as they get some great reviews and are very affordable. It's not a regulator, not sure I've seen those in a power strip format, but they advertise "isolated filter banks that remove EMI/RFI interference, even noise from other pieces of connected equipment". Sounds like it fits the bill.

https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-...ord-3300-joules-diagnostic-leds~ISOBAR4ULTRA/

Power Factor Pro, in particular, this newer model, is excellent.

I have a PL Plus DMC in my 3-space rack, and it's just fine.

A lot of the time, now that using an AX8, I just use my older Power Factor Pro without any issue.

What I would like though is something that regulates voltage, with the same features as the new Power Factor Pro. I believe there is a Furman unit like that, but I forget which.

A good UPS is also something I've considered, but I would prefer to take a rack version, and they're more expensive. I actually use a UPS at home, along with the PL Plus.

FWIW, for years (pre - AX8, and now with AX8) I used an old, out of production Monster Pro 2000 power strip with an EbTech HumX on the line, but at one rehearsal studio (Soundwave in Oakland CA) the combo still let a good amount of noise in. So I added an APC C2 2-outlet unit between the HumX and the Monster and it removed the noise almost totally. I then tried replacing the Monster with a Furman SSB6 and found that it worked nearly as well so I tend to use that for gigs, as the SSB6 is much smaller and has a much longer cord. Seems to work just fine with the AX8 and the DXR10 or DBR10 monitor rig I use.

Anytime, I've had noise or ground loop, it's always been something else - never the AX8 (or AxeFxII). Power supply in these units are impeccable IMO.

I was considering using a good quality UPS only because it would seem to address power issues, spikes, noise, etc. From my IT experience, a UPS would be the way to go with sensitive digital electronics. I'm not thinking about the FRFR speaker but rather a good quality 500va unit for the AX8 and any auxiliary pedal. Is it worth the burden of adding that to my rig in order to keep the AX8 from taking a hit?

I've not had a power issue, and have purposely gone AX8 to reduce the amount of gear to haul to gigs and rehearsals. IMO, a UPS is way overkill. A decent power strip for surge protection is what I use. I always plan for a backup situation, spare cables, etc just in case, but that's it.

I grabbed the Furman PST 2+6, as it was the only one I could find was flat enough to fit under my pedal board, and still offer conditioning. (and I still had to have all of my power cables modded with flat, right angle plugs to they wouldn't extend down past the threshold of the board to the floor. So far, it's working great.

Attachments

• bottom ax8.jpg
    bottom ax8.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
I have been using this Power Werks portable power pro for quite a few years now, I don't think they are around any longer so if I had to choice I would grab a Furman Power Pro.

The one other thing I would add is one of these... It's always good to know if the power you are plugging your gear into is wired right!

Back
Top Bottom