Post here if you've received an invite for the Headphone Jack model!

I ordered a 10-pack of PCB mount USB-B ports, just to be safe. I've been very happy with all of my Fractal Audio gear. It's not perfect in every way, but it's great in almost every way. I've always been an early adopter of their products, which means I got the first version of the AxeFX-II and the MFC-101 without all the nice features that were added in later iterations of the products.

There is a strong demand for a full-featured floor version of the AxeFX-III, which the FM3 sadly is not. I'm going to buy the FM3 anyway, in spite of the shortcomings that have already appeared. Some can be fixed with firmware updates, others (like the limited processor power and number of switches, and now the USB port) can't be easily fixed in this iteration. It's still going to be a great processor, and a lot more convenient for certain situations. It's a bit of a chore lugging my AxeFX-III rack and FC6 to every gig. I also play steel guitar, and the FM3 will be perfect for that.

I can imagine an FM6 with twice the processing power, number of switches, number of ports for external switches, integrated expression pedal, and the more physically-robust USB-C port being released a year after I bought my FM3. While I'll be disappointed that I couldn't have bought an FM6 in the first place, I'll buy it anyway...after a very long wait on the waiting list, of course! :D

I'm proud to support a company that strives to create fantastic products, continuously improves them with firmware, and is very supportive of its customers.👍
They prefer the idea of a modular system as I also do so I do not think that they will even think about a FC with integrated expression pedal at all and this is good because everyone can decide how much he needs and what he wants to pay for it. That was always a point that kept me away from the AXE 3...I would only use a glimpse of the opportunities and therefore it would be too expensive for me 🤷‍♂️

There is a strong demand for a full-featured floor version of the AxeFX-III, which the FM3 sadly is not. I'm going to buy the FM3 anyway, in spite of the shortcomings that have already appeared. Some can be fixed with firmware updates, others (like the limited processor power and number of switches, and now the USB port) can't be easily fixed in this iteration. It's still going to be a great processor, and a lot more convenient for certain situations. It's a bit of a chore lugging my AxeFX-III rack and FC6 to every gig. I also play steel guitar, and the FM3 will be perfect for that.

I can imagine an FM6 with twice the processing power, number of switches, number of ports for external switches, integrated expression pedal, and the more physically-robust USB-C port being released a year after I bought my FM3. While I'll be disappointed that I couldn't have bought an FM6 in the first place, I'll buy it anyway...after a very long wait on the waiting list, of course! :D

I'm proud to support a company that strives to create fantastic products, continuously improves them with firmware, and is very supportive of its customers.👍

I think it might be very likely that Fractal will make a bigger floor modeler sooner or later.
They did mention that there will be more fractal products that use the same architecture as Axe FX 3 and FM3, and this just seems like the natural progression. There's definitely a demand for it and a competition to beat, so it makes sense.
Personally, I want the FM3. I like the splittable modular rig design. I can have only as many switches as I need for any gig. That's convenient and Freakin cool. And while more processing power is always welcome, It has enough power for my needs.

Meanwhile, here's a wild idea:
Buy a FM3, buy a FC-6.
Take the guts out of each of them. Build a custom steel chassis for both of them, place the guts inside. Unsolder the Faslink ports and Connect them internally. Bam! A fully functional, unsplittable FM9.

Or easier solutions:
Place them on a single plywood plank... and here ya go...
Just that the faslink cable is outside, which isn't ideal, but hey...

Last edited:
I ordered a 10-pack of PCB mount USB-B ports, just to be safe. I've been very happy with all of my Fractal Audio gear. It's not perfect in every way, but it's great in almost every way. I've always been an early adopter of their products, which means I got the first version of the AxeFX-II and the MFC-101 without all the nice features that were added in later iterations of the products.

Wait so the problem with the wobbly USB port is an issue on everyone's unit now?

Wait so the problem with the wobbly USB port is an issue on everyone's unit now?
No, I think only some people have had the problem so far. I guess USB-B ports just aren't designed to be plugged and unplugged frequently. I've had to replace the USB-B port on a keyboard, and I just want to be prepared in case the FM3 port also fails. I plan to use that port on my FM3 every time I bring the unit home, so it's going to get some use. I just saw a post on the Wobbly USB thread about an AX8 USB port that broke, too.

I received a HP invite 5/14... Don't know exactly when I joined the waitlist but somewhere around 1-2pm EST on 4/23. I just pulled the trigger on my invite over the weekend.

Just received my invite. Waitlist on 5/14/2019 8:48 AM EDT

Hey not to sound like a doubter, but could you check your original wait list email to double check when you got on the wait list? It just sounds odd that we went from April 24th to May 14 if a short period of time.

Yeah, I am really sorry about that. I was so embarrassed for the mistake my face turned red and everything. I am doing two things at once and I just was in a hurry to get the posting out, so I mixed up the numbers in my head before typing. I am really sorry. I know how important this information is to people. BTW, I placed the order.

I think it might be very likely that Fractal will make a bigger floor modeler sooner or later.
They did mention that there will be more fractal products that use the same architecture as Axe FX 3 and FM3, and this just seems like the natural progression. There's definitely a demand for it and a competition to beat, so it makes sense.
Personally, I want the FM3. I like the splittable modular rig design. I can have only as many switches as I need for any gig. That's convenient and Freakin cool. And while more processing power is always welcome, It has enough power for my needs.

Buy a FM3, buy a FC-6.
Take the guts out of each of them. Build a custom steel chassis for both of them, place the guts inside. Unsolder the Faslink ports and Connect them internally. Bam! A fully functional, unsplittable FM9.

Or easier solutions:
Place them on a single plywood plank... and here ya go...
Just that the faslink cable is outside, which isn't ideal, but hey...

Considering you don't know, apart from a mention about possible future products, at best, what you've got here are guesses.
It's pretty much useless. Just enjoy your current gear - when new Fractal products come, they come.

In contrast, Fractal knows exactly when and how they will release new products, what kind of products they will be, and what the market competition holds versus their floor model versions. So... They can very easily tell if there is merit for new products, but they are not willing to share this information with anyone... Meanwhile, people are left wondering - A month from now? A year? No idea. And here they go make up these baseless theories about products that don't even, and may not ever exist...

Yeah, I am really sorry about that. I was so embarrassed for the mistake my face turned red and everything. I am doing two things at once and I just was in a hurry to get the posting out, so I mixed up the numbers in my head before typing. I am really sorry. I know how important this information is to people. BTW, I placed the order.

Oh and congratulations on your invite btw. Have Fun!!

Considering you don't know, apart from a mention about possible future products, at best, what you've got here are guesses.
It's pretty much useless. Just enjoy your current gear - when new Fractal products come, they come.

In contrast, Fractal knows exactly when and how they will release new products, what kind of products they will be, and what the market competition holds versus their floor model versions. So... They can very easily tell if there is merit for new products, but they are not willing to share this information with anyone... Meanwhile, people are left wondering - A month from now? A year? No idea. And here they go make up these baseless theories about products that don't even, and may not ever exist...
Salute. That was clever.
But let me retort.

You were trying to predict how the waitlist will move, by trying to solve a math equation in which pretty much every number is an unknown variable. This equation cannot be solved at all and there's no use trying. But that isn't the main point: My concern is the stress level some people experience ever since FM3 was announced.
Suddenly their current gear became "Not good enough" and they spend a lot of energy thinking of the new toy, bugging fractal with the "Are we there yet?" for over a year now, constantly refreshing their email, making up theories, and grasping to baseless predictions made by others (like yours).
I'd like the FM3 too, but to them my main message was: Take a chill pill and wait it out. Be as happy as you were before you knew Fractal FM3 was a thing.

Now, the second part: I was just saying how easily Fractal could demystify it all if they were just open about it. They know all the numbers you are missing for your equation. No demands here though... whatevs. You do you, fractal.

In contrast, i was not doing any math.
"A month? A year?" In this case - absolutely irrelevant.
I was just responding to markmurtha who said that there's a demand for a bigger floor unit.
I said that it makes sense for it to happen and named a few reasons. But these are "If I was in charge of fractal, i'd do it" kind of reasons, i guess...
Sooo... perhaps you are right to call me out on being baseless, when using the words "likely". Maybe fractal and I don't think alike at all. Maybe they'll go for a car with amp modeling built-in in the car door instead and ignore their primary competitors and demands of their target customers.
Either way, I am not waiting for or care for any new floor unit or whatever they gonna do. I just want my FM3.

Now... do fractal know what their plans are? Probably.
But the difference here is -in this case it's pretty obvious why they shouldn't share any information.

Last edited:
Buy a FM3, buy a FC-6.
Gee Clockwork... You're ambitious! I love the way you think, but hey, I'm just going to wait because that's exactly what I want, but I'm banking on Fractal's business savvy and them knowing there's a ton of people like me out there holding out for that + a more powerful processor, and more than willing to pay that price.

Besides, I have this feeling they have a lot better chance pulling off the above than I do, so I'll just be patient and let the pros handle it. :)

No worries and welcome to my world 🤷‍♂️😀

Back
Top Bottom